795 Posts
Picked up a new one today during eskip:

RF2 (15.1-2) WHDF Florence, AL

·
Registered
490 Posts
Got a new station today.
WNIB-LD Rochester on RF11.
I think it may have just come on air very recently.
Very directional and only sends 30 watts towards me.
Turn the antenna 20 degrees and I get WVTT.
Surprising these two stations are operating so close together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got a new station today.
WNIB-LD Rochester on RF11.
I think it may have just come on air very recently.
Very directional and only sends 30 watts towards me.
Turn the antenna 20 degrees and I get WVTT.
Surprising these two stations are operating so close together.
WNIB-LD returned to the air on February 24, 2021. They had been on a Silence STA for equipment work.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for the info Jim!
I knew they had been silent since leaving 42, but until today I never knew they were back on.
I also know they have an agreement with WVTT to allow their contours to overlap.
The strong null to the north is to protect CKWS Kingston also on 11 because they complained there would be interference. CKWS was suppose to move to 13, but like other Canadian station they didn’t follow the repack plan.
Now rf13 sits completely vacant for my entire region, while 11 is packed!

·
Registered
241 Posts
last week i manage to get pbs 54 out of erie on there new rf 27 channel .it is a hard channel to get as there seams to be 3 channels fighting for that rf.there the global channel that uses rf 27 alot and the fox rochester that use that rf along with pbs out of erie

·
Registered
307 Posts
The FM e-skip event was wild and crazy today. I'd get a station in for 10 to 20 seconds at full signal strength, and then it would vanish, only to replaced by another one. This went on for about 2 hours straight. I think if I could of identified all of them I would have found over 200 e-skips. These are the ones I was lucky enough to identify.

Miracle 89.1 KFLO Shreveport La. 986 miles
KPFT Houston 90.1 1199 miles
KETR Commerce Texas 88.9
KICW 91.1 Ottumwa Iowa Public Radio Classic 593 miles
90.9 Radio Kansas Grand Bend, KS 989 miles
88.7 Lexington Nebraska Public Media 969 miles
89.7 WRTU San Juan Puerto Rico - Didn't identify this one exactly, but there was a definite signal path of multi hop from San Juan to my location on the live FM dx map. Also on the sporadic-E muf map at the time, the frequency at my location was 89. Plus, I went to this radio station on the internet for the live feed and it definitely sounded like the same guy that was on my radio. (1899 miles)

In short this was my most incredible e-skip event I've had since starting this FM hobby last year..

If only my tv propagation would pick up, I'd be delighted.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Was out near lake erie today and thought I would try some FM DX with my old Rad Shack 10 element FM only ant. the radio was an Electrohome under the counter radio with an indoor preamp.The ant is up only 12 feet...

here's what I rec. today between 3 radio markets without many openings on the band.These are the farthest FM signals I have ever gotten.

93.3 FLZ Tampa Fla
Classic Rock 102 @102.1 Midland/Odessa TX.
97 Gold Lubbock TX
Awesome98 @ 98.1 Lubbock TX

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great job Steelota, you and me must have been dxing around the same time today , mine was around 11am to 1pm. I also thought I would try FM Dxing since the TV Dx sucks my way now with the noisy shortened tv band. Im going to try again on the weekend when Im out there. Im sure lake erie helped me a little.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
@heans.......there's also a full power WADL Detroit on rf27 and WBGU PBS Bowling Green OH in the mix too on that freq.that could be effecting Erie PBS reception for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The FM e-skip event was wild and crazy today. I'd get a station in for 10 to 20 seconds at full signal strength, and then it would vanish, only to replaced by another one. This went on for about 2 hours straight. I think if I could of identified all of them I would have found over 200 e-skips. These are the ones I was lucky enough to identify.

Miracle 89.1 KFLO Shreveport La. 986 miles
KPFT Houston 90.1 1199 miles
KETR Commerce Texas 88.9
KICW 91.1 Ottumwa Iowa Public Radio Classic 593 miles
90.9 Radio Kansas Grand Bend, KS 989 miles
88.7 Lexington Nebraska Public Media 969 miles
89.7 WRTU San Juan Puerto Rico - Didn't identify this one exactly, but there was a definite signal path of multi hop from San Juan to my location on the live FM dx map. Also on the sporadic-E muf map at the time, the frequency at my location was 89. Plus, I went to this radio station on the internet for the live feed and it definitely sounded like the same guy that was on my radio. (1899 miles)

In short this was my most incredible e-skip event I've had since starting this FM hobby last year..

If only my tv propagation would pick up, I'd be delighted.
Tons of DXers were on the WTFDA DX logger (WLogger - members only website) posting their E-skip loggings today. The E-skip opening went on for over four hours, from the time it began until it finally started running out of steam.

Regarding keeping track of your FM logs, you need to bookmark this WTFDA FM Database resource, which is open to anyone and free to use>>> FM Radio Station Database

Jim (a member of the WTFDA board of directors) - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah WNYB5 was booming, I see in my graphs that it was maxed out for a while at 100% signal strength and quality around 5am. I tried grabbing WGGN3 Cleveland area but it didn't get strong enough and I forgot to wake up extra early to turn the antenna when the signal was stronger. My antennas on the hill grabbed two new channels with TVO22 Belleville and WDIV32 Detroit, never got that TVO when it was on rf26. My antennas down here grabbed WEKA26 Cleveland on its new channel and CIII35 Sarnia which is the first time something has ever overpowered CHCJ35, even at its decreased power for the last year (but I did grab CIII35 last year when CHCJ was off-air for a few days).

RF22 TVO Belleville, ON
RF26 WEKA Canton, OH
RF32 WDIV Detroit, MI

Reactions: DetroitTVFAN

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another wild and crazy FM e-skip event in late morning and early afternoon, today. These are the stations that arrived at my location.

88.1 KGNZ Abilene, Texas 1238 miles
88.1 KNTU Denton, Texas
88.1 WFSK Nashville
88.1 KNJZ Los Angeles? By this time my RDS on my portable radio was garbled with junk due to so many stations occupying the same frequency at the same time. These 4 letters spit out on the RDS. They were only on the screen for a couple of seconds. At the time there was no signal path from that location according to the ionospheric skip map. 2091 miles*
88.5 KEOM Mesquite Texas
88.5 WXPN Philadelphia
88.5 KZTH House FM Oklahoma City (repeater station)
89.7 WWNO New Orleans
90.5 KAGT Abilene Texas
90.7 K214AU repeater of KJIL Sharon Springs Kansas
97.3 KKJQ Garden State Kansas
97.9 KWGB Colby Kansas
98.7 KSID Sidney Nebraska
100.3 KRDQ Colby Nebraska
102.1 KZMC McCook Nebraska
102.7 KBIQ Colorado Springs Co. 1259 miles
93.1 The River KRVN Lexington Nebraska
93.3 KMOR Gering Nebraska

I think I had 9 stations from Mexico in as well. They were not broadcasting with the RDS so I could not identify them due to the language barrier.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I grabbed WFXV34 on its new channel this morning while WKTV29 was coming in strong. Had the hdhomerun parked on rf34 and it only locked for a couple seconds. Still no luck with WNIB11 Rochester yet.

RF34 (33.1-3) WFXV Utica, NY

Reactions: steelota

·
Registered
166 Posts
@steelota, what type of FM antenna are you using for your FM dxing??? I cant seem to find anyone selling FM only antenna's online. Im looking for one for my home , at the cottage I use an old 10 elelment FM radio shack antenna from 1987 its a bit bent up but still works good. Im thinking about buying one of those sangean HD radio rec.....thx in advance.

1421 - 1440 of 1478 Posts