Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1361 - 1380 of 1506 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
12:30 am, WRSP Sprinfield Illinois RF16 VC55 1-3 488 miles. This might be the weirdest catch I've had. All of my regular stations are normal tonight. No signs of anything unusual happening until I was surfing the signal meter on my tv. I land on RF16 and there is no signal strength at all and then all of sudden it jumps to 13db and vanishes back to zero strength a second later. In that one second my tuner decodes the signal. It took me about a half hour to identify this new transmitter, as the station only identifies as Fox.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Got to wonder if that was a reflection off an airplane or something similar. Such occurrences would normally go unnoticed 99.999% of the time.
This is exactly what I was thinking. At the time of the capture on the live propagation map there were no signal paths to my location greater than 100 miles. I always thought this type of occurrence was bs but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Since TVO Paris moved to rf22 WJET Erie is now coming in loud and clear. Not as strong as WSEE but varies between 18-21dB.

P.S. Orbot, how is that new tuner working? Hopefully we get some Pittsburgh tropo soon so you can grab WPGH, WTAE and WPNT in atsc 3.0

·
Registered
803 Posts
I still haven't hooked up the atsc3 tuner yet, but I should do that soon. Will probably just use the atsc3 tuner on my Cleveland antenna until I figure out a dedicated antenna setup for it.

I've had the zenith box parked on rf28 lately and the Cleveland antenna grabbed the new CHCH Muskoka off the back some time yesterday/today:

RF28 (67.1) CHCH Muskoka, ON

·
Registered
318 Posts
As I was doing laundry, I turned on the tv and did a scan. These are the unexpected visitors which showed up on my scan.
1:15pm, WISN Milwaukee RF28 and ION Kenosha RF30. Definitely going to do some more scans now. Also found the new TVO trasmitter out of Kitchener on RF22 for the first time today.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Got a new one a few seconds ago, WCAU rf 28 VC10-1-3 Philly, also has WWSI on 62-1 and Exitos on 62-2. Also getting WNEP and WVIA from South Penn

10:35am New one KYW-TV rf 30 vc 3-1-4 Philadephia (First time I've seen the Subchannel FAVE-TV)

1:48pm New one WIVT rf 27 vc 34-1-4 Binghamton NY

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got a new one a few seconds ago, WCAU rf 28 VC10-1-3 Philly, also has WWSI on 62-1 and Exitos on 62-2. Also getting WNEP and WVIA from South Penn

10:35am New one KYW-TV rf 30 vc 3-1-4 Philadephia
Hey Zank Frappa, you need to be reporting your DTV DX on the WTFDA Forums also! IF you are a member of the organization, there is a DX posting site that you can post to :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey Zank Frappa, you need to be reporting your DTV DX on the WTFDA Forums also! IF you are a member of the organization, there is a DX posting site that you can post to :)
Thanks James, I'm aware of that site but there is very little reporting of DX'ing on it in comparison to here. Most Southern Ontarians and a few Great Lakes US posters are very active on this thread when DX conditions arrive. I just happened to luck into it this morning, I was watching WJET out of Erie and it just flipped to WCAU (which I had gotten previously but on a different rf), so began the hunt!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Okay Zank Frappa. WTFDA has a realtime DX logger page called WLogger which is for members only. There are a handful of Ontario guys that post on there whenever there is DX in their neck of the woods. Winter is typically slow, but they are on there almost daily Spring through Fall.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The best real time logger is at: TV reception map
All these folks are uploading data from their HDHomeruns in real time, pick your closest location and start aiming.

I am going through some OLD posts and I see Orbot's first Erie capture was Sept. 2, 2012, his first Pittsburgh 9 months later. My first post on the DX forum was July 2013, at that time I was using a $14.99 antenna I got at Factory Drect (using a $2 Dollorama broomstick as the mast). It was a basic 2 bay copy of a channel master is but it got me Cleveland, Columbus, Altoona, State College, Erie, locals and lots and far east stuff within weeks and I got me hooked on DX'ing.

What's interesting about going throught the old posts, at least for me, is we got way more analytical and focused (thanks to Stampeder asking for "time caught to be listed"). Most of us did that, when we grabbed a new one or had a duct we'd get online and post it and others would follow and then take the lead letting us know where that "f'n" duct was going, and we all benefitted.

This past year was a total bust for me, so few new stations, no super long hauls, hopefully 2021's early tropo gift to me is a harbinger of better times ahead for all.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season and all your loved ones are safe and sound. Keep wearing the mask, keep distancing and keep our elders safe.

1361 - 1380 of 1506 Posts