Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
It was a good night for tropo. I was getting lots of stations in Kitchener from Detroit, Teledo, Cleveland, etc. The incoming stuff was wiping out most of my locals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, got 30 DX stations last night. Still getting some now from Ohio.

Detroit, Windsor, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Buffalo, Youngstown, Clearfield PA, Altoona PA

My antenna is only about 10' high, lower than the corn in the field behind me. Maybe this blocks out the more local stuff :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
12:25pm WBKI RF16 VC58 Salem Indiana
12:25pm WKMR RF30 Morehead Kentucky
12:40pm WLEX RF28 VC18 Lexington
12:40pm WTVQ RF27 VC36 Lexington
1:05pm WKYT RF21 VC27 Lexington
1:20 pm WTTV RF27 VC4 Indianapolis
1:20pm WCLJ RF28 VC42 Bloomington Indiana
1:35pm (New State) WEMT Greeneville Tennessee RF28 VC39
1:40pm WKPT RF32 VC19 Kingsport Tennessee

2:00pm MPT RF26 Oakland Maryland
2:20pm WNPB RF34 Morgantown WV
2:35pm WLFB Bluefield WV RF25 VC40
2:35pm WAGV Harlan Kentucky RF14 VC44

It looks like the event is over. That was fun unlike last night. I must have done about 100 scans last night and I swear with 90 of them I had 2 transmitters or less. Today, I still wasn't getting many channels but I still ended up with 15 new transmitters.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It looks like the event is over. That was fun unlike last night. I must have done about 100 scans last night and I swear with 90 of them I had 2 transmitters or less. Today, I still wasn't getting many channels but I still ended up with 15 new transmitters.
A stellar event for anyone! You stuck to it and reaped my friend. I had to leave around 10:30am and KNEW I was going to miss out on some long rare hauls. I crashed at about 2:30am last night, woke up around 5:30am and kept pounding. Transmitters I can see visually were dead, TVO Paris and CIII Paris along with CKCO. This was the most active tropo I have ever seen, the fact I didn't grab a ton of new ones doesn't mean squat. This was insane. When I had only 4 transmitters scan in they were CTV Hamilton, CHCH Hamilton, CITS Hamilton and CIII Paris, never seen interference that strong. Hope we get another window like this, it's been such a shitty season otherwise.

Congrats to all!

P.S. Pissed Orbat got WQED resolved because , "I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn't get there " as a certain person would say. I had a ton of stations show up for the 2nd time but I never reported because I was too busy pounding the remote, it was one minute of uplift followed by 59 minutes of frustation. I left RF4 on my "signal strength screen" for almost a half hour, it would ping to 19-20dB but never resolve, most likely because my antenna accentuates the noise as it's not low VHF friendly but WNYB was solid the whole time, which probably screwed me on some rf26 captures.....oh the foibles of tropo.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I missed out on all the fun, but I did manage to snag WDBJ rf30 Roanoke, VA tonight.
It’s 480 miles away.
That station is a flamethrower!
1000kw at 3878 feet (75 mile contour!)
The strongest station in this region By comparison is WSYT Rf14 Syracuse with a 65 mile contour.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
For the first time in OTA, I pulled in a Kentucky station. KETV (PBS) from Morehead, KY. Very impressed.

Reactions: DetroitTVFAN

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Did you guys watch the hepburn maps for this opening??? How did you know??? great job though, best one of the year by far.
My locals were getting wiped out, so I did a scan and found the tropo stations.

Reactions: DetroitTVFAN

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Hepburn tropo forecast maps, updated daily: https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

The Harder real-time tropo map for 144MHz: VHF Propagation Map

The RabbitEars DTV Live Bandscan map: TV reception map

Joining the Live Bandscan has been a life-changer for dxing. You just keep a small program running in the background of your computer that continuously scans an hdhomerun connected to your router and it automatically uploads the scan results to RabbitEars where your results are immediately placed on maps, graphs, and lists.

The RabbitEars Live Bandscan channel lists: RabbitEars Mobile

Everyone's location can be different and sometimes the forecast and real-time maps might not look very active, but your channel list is the best way to monitor your own reception results because it shows the strength and quality for every RF after each scan along with graphs. You can see what potential RFs are active when their strengths get higher and when the quality drops on local channels, so you can pay extra attention to specific RFs for manual scanning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pulled in 2 Erie stations last night.

12-WICU-TV and 35(21)-WSEE-TV.

This really played havoc with my TV set having 2 virtual channel 35's in it (the other being CHCJ from Hamilton). Pretty strange behaviour. I guess those closer to those stations have witnessed this type of behaviour before.

1341 - 1360 of 1368 Posts