Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1368 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
For me it was interference. Some scans would lock in as few as 6 or 7 rf's, lots of Toronto stations blank.
I had one scan last night with only 2 channels found. Usually when this happens, I find some far away transmitters. This poor reception lasted maybe about a half hour and then it was back to my regular Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo and Erie stations.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was out in Colchester on Sat night , and no action just semi regular WBNX Clev. on rf17 a bit of WJW rf8 . I thought with my new ant and the 60 mile vhf WJW would be a no brainer but it seems its fighting with another rf8 in Lima Ohio just below Toledo.

This shortened band sucks now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Man .... I have yet to receive that one!
ION on same frequency is just such a strong signal here it can never break through.
That’s quite a catch for you since they are
coming from the same general direction.

·
Registered
622 Posts
One of those lucky late night snipes, was hoping to get CHRO on rf43 but no luck, got a signal strength of 12-13dB but it never resolved.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Some of the Pittsburgh stations have been coming in here today. I have not had any in since before, all my local channels within a 100 miles were assigned their new channel locations. Had WPXI, KDKA, ION and the religious channel from Sharon.

·
Registered
271 Posts
At 3:50 pm, New Channel WLFM JTV on RF20 VC20. I don't know the location of this transmitter. The channel doesn't transmit data either. It maps out to 20-2, and it only shows the selling of jewelry on it, as far as I can tell. It has knocked out my London Omni channel. I also have WKYC from Cleveland knocking out my local Yes TV station today as well.

Update at 4:35 pm, channel is still in, but I still can't identify the location. I assumed it was from the Cleveland market but after researching the rabbitears website and the repack etc, I'm not so sure now.

At 4:50 pm, New Channel W27EA-D VC35 from Cleveland. I believe this is the old RetroTV from RF16.

It is a weird day. In the live map the signals don't appear at all strong. Still can't figure out my 1st catch today. All my London stations are missing except Omni on RF29, when I point south.

Update: Figured out the new channel is WLFM from Cleveland.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I’m glad you figured it out.
I was trying fccinfo and It did not show any rf20 in the Cleveland area. Yet there it is.
Btw wouldn’t Cleveland stations just be typical summer tropo for you? Aren’t you only about 90 miles away?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’m glad you figured it out.
I was trying fccinfo and It did not show any rf20 in the Cleveland area. Yet there it is.
Btw wouldn’t Cleveland stations just be typical summer tropo for you? Aren’t you only about 90 miles away?
I am 100 miles away from Cleveland and yes the main network stations from that market are my typical summer tropo channels.

In the case of WLFM it was on the same frequency as my Omni station which is only 16 miles away from me. This is only the 3rd transmitter, I've had on RF20. As for W27EA-D it used to be on RF16 and I've had it a bunch of times on that frequency. Although, I never considered Retro tv a regular summer channel because it is so hard to get in with its lower power.

It is really weird that I've been able to knock out my Yestv station from 16 miles away in the summer so frequently, and have it replaced by WKYC.

I don't know if it's true or not but I swear that all my local channels from the London market appear to be weaker in signal strength since the repack. I seem to able to knock them much easier now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a transmitter just 2.7 miles from my house on rf23 and often it is replaced by WBXZ Buffalo. That was the case this morning.
Buffalo station are 89-102 miles from me.
I feel like if there wasn’t any co-channel interference I would receive even the low power ones regularly in the summer.
WVTT on rf11 is a low power, Buffalo station, but I get it most of the time because there is no significant competing station on same frequency. The UHF channels are just packed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Knocking out a station from 2.7 miles away is impressive. I think if the conditions were better this season, I would be killing the new transmitters. I'm probably the only one who thinks that this repack will make it easier for longer distance catches.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Grabbed the new version of W16DO on its new channel some time last night, not sure when, I had the zenith box parked on rf27 and this morning I noticed it had locked while I was sleeping:

RF27 (35.1) W27EA Cleveland, OH

Reactions: steelota

·
Registered
473 Posts
Scanning the empty spectrum above 36 this evening. I found one station still broadcasting on rf38 WDSS Syracuse.
Anyone else still seeing anything in this band?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hepburn grabbed an rf45 from Trois Rivieres last night. The rabbitears allocation maps show that there could be a few more gettable ones out there. I've only been seeing cell signals over here, unfortunately.

6:45 - finally grabbed WKYC on rf19, haven't seen this channel since CIII Paris was on rf6. My local TVO Toronto often goes blank while pointed at Cleveland during tropo, so I figured it was just a matter of time. Only the second channel that's ever knocked out TVO19. Also grabbed WBNX17, first time knocking out CIII Toronto on its new channel.

RF19 (3.1-4) WKYC Cleveland, OH

·
Registered
772 Posts
"Finally" grabbed WBGT on its new channel, the live bandscanner picked it up around 5:30am today while I was sleeping. Must've helped that WDTB29 went off-air yesterday. I know Zank got it often on rf46 but I always had trouble with it for some reason.

RF29 (46.1-7) WBGT Rochester, NY

·
Registered
772 Posts
RF35 (29.1) CIII Sarnia-Oil Springs

CHCJ35 has been off-air since yesterday and I've never managed to get any other channel on that rf since it went on air. No luck with WVIZ Cleveland or WJAC Johnstown though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Unfortunately I was getting zilch on rf35 all night/morning. Were you getting the WVIZ on rf35 or the one on rf34 from Eastlake that used to be on rf38, because I think the one on rf35 would be new for you, right?

1301 - 1320 of 1368 Posts