Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1316 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Picking up lots of Cleveland, WQHS, WEAO/WRLM, WNEO, WVPX/WDLI, also WFMJ Youngstown.

Will try again tonight.

Are you there Tropo God, it's me, Zank!

(In news that seems like George Carlin is still living and telling great stories. The Mexican State of Sonora has decided to deny entrance to American's traveling for nonessential purposes). Funniest comment I read on the story was a Texan that said "They are building a wall and we'll pay for it!"

The unfunny thing is a lot more are going to pass away because of short term thinking. I know this site is apolitical but this is a once in a multi-generational event where we all need to be on the same page, the virus is apolitical but it seems it's been politicized much to our neighbours and other nations deficit.

We've done a good job up here, not great, not spectacular by any stretch but I think we all made those small sacrifices that kept our neighbours and friends safe. I wish our best Friend the USA the best, hope they have a joyous 4th of July and keep safe. We couldn't ask for a better neighbour.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Getting WBXZ this morning for the first time since they moved to RF23. Significant since CKWS-DT1 on same frequency is only 2.5 miles from my location.
Also getting WTDB rf29, WBBZ rf7, and WICU rf12.
Trying hard for other Erie channels, but no luck. Erie used to be a frequent visitor before repack for me. Not anymore.

I spoke too soon .... now getting WJET rf28 and WSEE rf21.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TV propagation is still bad but the FM Eskip is booming today.
95.7 The Spot Houston 1182 miles
95.1 KYKR Beaumont Kicker 95.1 1137 miles
96.7 KBEL Idabel Oklahoma
94.5 WFLA Tampa Bay 1205 miles
96.7 KTCK Fox Sports Dallas 1101 miles - 2nd skip on this frequency this hour.
91.7 KICM Healdton Oklahoma
100.1 KYKC Byng Oklahoma
100.9 Totally Awesome 80's Tulsa OK
95.3 Pirate 95.3 WOBR Wanchese North Carolina

·
Registered
262 Posts
By the looks of the tropo maps going into Friday our conditions look to be outstanding, anywhere in SW Ontario. I am praying to the Tropo Gods to have mercy on this boring, uneventful season. Please allow some excitement for once!

·
Registered
607 Posts
So far this sucks. Getting all Erie, some Cleveland. Looks too far north and west. My wireless keyboard is messed up. My "b,n, and all number keys" don't work so I have to use the on screen keyboard. Looks like we were dealt another one way ticket to suck ass city, rarest station so far has been WFMJ Youngstown PA.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with you Zank so far this a nothing burger. However, I think the real fun begins in my area at about 11am and about 12:30pm at your location.

I've been working on creating tropo forecasts for different cities in SW Ontario. I came up with the idea to sort of expand upon the Hepburn maps and add a city's forecast to them. I would also add the likely distance possibility for each city. With that in mind, I'm giving my prediction now. My city up to 450 miles in the next 24 hours, Windsor 400, Kitchener 360, Toronto 500 and Niagra Falls 520. If it goes well, I might create a website for this purpose. We'll see.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Getting WBNG rf8 and WCIZ rf7 from Binghamton. Nothing else though.
With all the channels used up now after repack tropo is more challenging. I have only a few channels that don’t have strong regional signals.
rf7,12,13, and 30 are the best chance for me to catch tropo. Everything else has strong signals during typical summer tropo .

·
Registered
262 Posts
Getting WBNG rf8 and WCIZ rf7 from Binghamton. Nothing else though.
With all the channels used up now after repack tropo is more challenging. I have only a few channels that don’t have strong regional signals.
rf7,12,13, and 30 are the best chance for me to catch tropo. Everything else has strong signals during typical summer tropo .
I am going to be majorly disappointed if we don't get some good catches tonight, considering that all of us in SW Ontario are under the big red blob. In that blob are 800 mile signal paths. I can't even get above 100 miles so far.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Finally grabbed a new one after the past few weeks of the teasing we've had, the autologger grabbed WNEP on its new channel overnight while I was sleeping and I just grabbed WPTO now, never got that when it was on rf28.

RF21 WNEP Scranton, PA
RF29 (14.1-5) WPTO Oxford, OH

·
Registered
130 Posts
Daggry is right the small band is hurting TVDXing.In Windsor the hobby is pretty much done , receiving 2 large tv markets like Detroit and Toledo is killing it.My only hope is when I go near lake erie like tonight I will try to snag something.

Goodluck to the rest of you though.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It was frustrating last night this am. If it's a wide pattern of tropo it's ext to impossile to get stuff, but if it's a narrow band, the there is potetial. I remember gettig WJAR, WBZ, WUNI, WMFP all from the Boston area and they were all in a very narrow 40 km wide band. It's not over, it's just a lot more difficult.

Happy hunting all, and congrats Orbot on that WPTO grab.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It was frustrating last night this am. If it's a wide pattern of tropo it's ext to impossile to get stuff, but if it's a narrow band, the there is potetial. I remember gettig WJAR, WBZ, WUNI, WMFP all from the Boston area and they were all in a very narrow 40 km wide band. It's not over, it's just a lot more difficult.

Happy hunting all, and congrats Orbot on that WPTO grab.
It has been frustrating the last couple of days. It seems like the signal paths avoided St.Thomas. According to Rabbit Ears an antenna setup in Akron Ohio captured stations from 300 miles to 600 miles in the last 48 hours. They caught transmitters from Iowa City, Des Moines, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Syracuse, South Bend and Toronto. That list doesn't include all the ones in that time period that have fallen off the 24 hour list. I think most of the problem with not getting the stations had more to do with being in the wrong place and a lot less to do with interference, imo. In other words the direction of the signal paths seem to favor those locations south of Lake Erie.

I guess my tropo distance forecast was way off. I guess I'll have to fine tune it some more. In the last 2 days, I've had only 2 stations over 100 miles, both were in Rochester, sadly.

1281 - 1300 of 1316 Posts