Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1261 - 1280 of 1369 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Rogers was supposed to move City TV Woodstock to RF 16 in the repack plan.They decided the were not going to do so.There was no consultation with public via CRTC.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Rogers was supposed to move City TV Woodstock to RF 16 in the repack plan.They decided the were not going to do so.There was no consultation with public via CRTC.
I effing hate Rogers, interfering with a channel that offers documentaries and great programs show they are a sumbag corporation. I left out a letter purposefully, Rogers can uck a big bag of icks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Samsung model I have is a un55nu8000, they have lot's of 43" tv's in their new lineup, they all use the same tuner.
Lot's to read about the channel master ota dvr here:

Hope that helps!
Does your tv have an onboard signal diagnostics the reason I ask is that I had for many years and incredible tv from Sony (XBR9 ) I eventually had to let it go for lack of parts it was able to show me all sorts of things about the signal not just strength does your tv have the ability to add and delete channels? how do you record a program

·
Registered
25 Posts
well I for one sure as hell don't need Citytv Woodstock I already receive it from Toronto with respect to PBS Buffalo as we all know they are a station that relies heavily on public support especially from the GTA so I feel Rogers is being disrespectful in not relocating are there any other frequencies they could possibly move to other than rf 16? this is of course is Mytv Buffalo could they move to rf 22 I will take PBS over Citytv any day .. Citytv has lost its allure for me think back to the 70s and 80s with its unique programming now its all reality show crap it use to have an edge flavorful newscasts please feel free to comment

·
Registered
25 Posts
well I for one sure as hell don't need Citytv Woodstock I already receive it from Toronto with respect to PBS Buffalo as we all know they are a station that relies heavily on public support especially from the GTA so I feel Rogers is being disrespectful in not relocating are there any other frequencies they could possibly move to other than rf 16? this is of course is Mytv Buffalo could they move to rf 22 I will take PBS over Citytv any day .. Citytv has lost its allure for me think back to the 70s and 80s with its unique programming now its all reality show crap it use to have an edge flavorful newscasts please feel free to comment
I will continue with think back to when Citytv was in its infancy owned by CHUM City Pulse news was cutting edge and exciting

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes my tv offers signal diagnostics as seen here, not as detailed as I would like but an improvement from what my panasonic plasma offered. You might want to hold off buying a new tv, the new tv's are now offering dual tuners, one for atsc1.0 and one for atsc 3.0, the new generation. Sony have hit the market with the the xbr55x900h that will be available in the next couple weeks, not the size you are looking for but by early next year I imagine all sizes will include this improvement.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Can you go up and down rf channel with that tv? You can’t on other Samsung’s I’ve seen.... only channels that have been auto scanned in.
What I like about my LG TVs is that I have a manual scan option which I can go up and down rf channels and view their signal strength and quality. I can also add and delete the channel. I haven’t auto scanned my tv in years. Also if there is no manual scan then how can you get all your channels if you have a rotor? You would have to rescan each time you got a different set of channels.
One strange thing about my new LG OLED c9 is that it still scans up to channel 69.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No. This wasn't something I could get any info on in store or via their online manual.

Scanning is very fast, less than a minute. The only rf I am missing in the 7-36 band is rf11, there is no way to manually input rf11 even by deleting the virtual channel using 11-1 (CHCH). It would be a great feature to add and I am sure if us dx'ers hound Samsung via social media they will send an update to take care of that.

I'm not on any social media platforms, twitler, facefook, instaflab, so I am hoping others will make the noise to add this feature. Updates are pretty frequent, probably should have waited till my plasma died (Which has all rf's still in memory) but the picture has deteriorated, lots of blue dots with a white image and the tuner is less sensitive. Hindsight is always 20/20, picture/price wise I would have needed to pony up $1399 to get an LG with comparable specs vs the $849 I paid.

Sony's 900h model is $1398. in my size, an ATSC dongle will be sub $100 by January 2021. Even if I purchased the HDHomerun Quatro atsc3.0 capable I would still come out ahead, but would have gotten dolby vision. Will that proprietary paid for tech become the standard or will it go the way of Betamax, who knows, HDR10+ being open source seems to be what most producers are using.

I'm 55, my visual acuity is such that I can't tell the diff between 8k and 4 k in stores that are set up to showcase these new tv's. I doubt most folk can, most of it is salesmanship, which I have worked in.

I love watching 4k stuff on Netflix and am very happy, zero buyers remorse. Avoid the cheap tv's, do some research and figure that within about 6-7 years you'll replace your tv with something even better. Total cost of ownership for my TV will be $139.64 per year, plus electricity.

My first bought tv, an RCA from Krazy Kelly's was a $399.99 20" in 1984 dollars would cost $987 dollars today. I get 6 times the size and 4.5 times the picture detail for similar money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes my tv offers signal diagnostics as seen here, not as detailed as I would like but an improvement from what my panasonic plasma offered. You might want to hold off buying a new tv, the new tv's are now offering dual tuners, one for atsc1.0 and one for atsc 3.0, the new generation. Sony have hit the market with the the xbr55x900h that will be available in the next couple weeks, not the size you are looking for but by early next year I imagine all sizes will include this improvement.
No. This wasn't something I could get any info on in store or via their online manual.

Scanning is very fast, less than a minute. The only rf I am missing in the 7-36 band is rf11, there is no way to manually input rf11 even by deleting the virtual channel using 11-1 (CHCH). It would be a great feature to add and I am sure if us dx'ers hound Samsung via social media they will send an update to take care of that.

I'm not on any social media platforms, twitler, facefook, instaflab, so I am hoping others will make the noise to add this feature. Updates are pretty frequent, probably should have waited till my plasma died (Which has all rf's still in memory) but the picture has deteriorated, lots of blue dots with a white image and the tuner is less sensitive. Hindsight is always 20/20, picture/price wise I would have needed to pony up $1399 to get an LG with comparable specs vs the $849 I paid.

Sony's 900h model is $1398. in my size, an ATSC dongle will be sub $100 by January 2021. Even if I purchased the HDHomerun Quatro atsc3.0 capable I would still come out ahead, but would have gotten dolby vision. Will that proprietary paid for tech become the standard or will it go the way of Betamax, who knows, HDR10+ being open source seems to be what most producers are using.

I'm 55, my visual acuity is such that I can't tell the diff between 8k and 4 k in stores that are set up to showcase these new tv's. I doubt most folk can, most of it is salesmanship, which I have worked in.

I love watching 4k stuff on Netflix and am very happy, zero buyers remorse. Avoid the cheap tv's, do some research and figure that within about 6-7 years you'll replace your tv with something even better. Total cost of ownership for my TV will be $139.64 per year, plus electricity.

My first bought tv, an RCA from Krazy Kelly's was a $399.99 20" in 1984 dollars would cost $987 dollars today. I get 3 times the size and 4.5 times the picture detail.
I can see that .. all I can is when it came to my old Sony XBR9 2700.00 dollars from Gibson (2009) the signal diagnostics were truly detailed and impressive they showed everything your Samsung does and so much more you could manually add and delete channels so with respect to ATSC 3.0 will it still be negatively affected by 1.0 ? my very first tv was a 12 inch black and white Candle branded from Kmart at Seaway Mall Welland around 76.00 including tax I do remember Krazy Kellys they were around in the 70s and 80s at WE

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can see that .. all I can is when it came to my old Sony XBR9 2700.00 dollars from Gibson (2009) the signal diagnostics were truly detailed and impressive they showed everything your Samsung does and so much more you could manually add and delete channels so with respect to ATSC 3.0 will it still be negatively affected by 1.0 ? my very first tv was a 12 inch black and white Candle branded from Kmart at Seaway Mall Welland around 76.00 including tax I do remember Krazy Kellys they were around in the 70s and 80s at WE
Can you go up and down rf channel with that tv? You can’t on other Samsung’s I’ve seen.... only channels that have been auto scanned in.
What I like about my LG TVs is that I have a manual scan option which I can go up and down rf channels and view their signal strength and quality. I can also add and delete the channel. I haven’t auto scanned my tv in years. Also if there is no manual scan then how can you get all your channels if you have a rotor? You would have to rescan each time you got a different set of channels.
One strange thing about my new LG OLED c9 is that it still scans up to channel 69.
Do all LG televisions have the ability to add and delete channels ? how about signal diagnostics?

·
Registered
25 Posts

My first bought tv, an RCA from Krazy Kelly's was a $399.99 20" in 1984 dollars would cost $987 dollars today. I get 6 times the size and 4.5 times the picture detail for similar money.
So as I was saying I do remember Krazy Kellys and the owner Krazy DM Kelly would do his own commercials his store was located at Westmount Place in Waterloo .. I don't remember ever shopping there however my great aunt and uncle has a place at Waterloo Heights apartment complex and from their balcony I could see Krazy Kellys WKRP did an episode the place was called Dels stereo same overhyped selling technique.. so I see your 55 just like me did you attend schools locally?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I believe all the LG TVs have the ability to manually add and delete rf channels.
Sony and Samsung and TCL do not have manual scan. Therefore LG is the only brand I know of that will work for me since I have a rotor. The signal meters for strength and quality are percentage bars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe all the LG TVs have the ability to manually add and delete rf channels.
Sony and Samsung and TCL do not have manual scan. Therefore LG is the only brand I know of that will work for me since I have a rotor. The signal meters for strength and quality are percentage bars.
Did I read somewhere that atsc 3.0 is has a greater ability to squelch multipath and adjacent frequencies will atsc 1.0 interfere with 3.0 or vice versa?

·
Registered
622 Posts
@rocket7676, Krazy Kelly's was the master of the bait and switch. Advertise a super low price on a tv that would mysteriously be "on backorder" and then upsell to what they made money on. The Krazy Kelly's I bought it from was on Weber st., just past King North in Waterloo. Yeah I attended schools here.

You're correct in that ATSC is supposed to be much better at handling Multipath and adjacent channel interference. They did a lot of testing in cars and found the signal very stable. There will be no interference between atsc 1.0 and 3.0 as they are totally different types of signals, with ATSC 3.0 being an IP based signal.

Could be a good day tropo wise if Hepburn's map is accurate. Been very depressing so far.

·
Registered
271 Posts
@rocket7676, Krazy Kelly's was the master of the bait and switch. Advertise a super low price on a tv that would mysteriously be "on backorder" and then upsell to what they made money on. The Krazy Kelly's I bought it from was on Weber st., just past King North in Waterloo. Yeah I attended schools here.

You're correct in that ATSC is supposed to be much better at handling Multipath and adjacent channel interference. They did a lot of testing in cars and found the signal very stable. There will be no interference between atsc 1.0 and 3.0 as they are totally different types of signals, with ATSC 3.0 being an IP based signal.

Could be a good day tropo wise if Hepburn's map is accurate. Been very depressing so far.
Hopefully, the next week few days will be better. This is by far the worst year for long distance propagation.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I never knew that Krazy Kellys had more than one location where was the store on King north I am not surprised about the bait and switch .. I worked in sales for Mr Stereo (King and Ottawa Kitchener and Atlantic Sound and video (Waterloo Conestoga Mall ) Mr Stereo never pulled a bait and switch however Atlantic Sound and video did and talk about high pressure commission sales.

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol krazy kelly used to sell directv subscriptions with the satelite system in windsor ontario
I always assumed that Krazy Kellys was just a local store in Waterloo I had no idea they had other locations I just remember that Krazy DM Kelly had a very distinctive voice and delivery not sure if he did tv commercials or just radio

1261 - 1280 of 1369 Posts