Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1241 - 1260 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Totally agree with you rocket7676. I used to get WNED 24/7, now only during tropo. The Canadian broadcasters are anti-competitive.
What really annoys me is having the 2 Omni stations on two different frequencies. Why can't the Canadian providers start using sub channels for this purpose? I mean, they're always complaining about money, so why not get the networks together on the same transmitters and save money. After all the technology exist why not use it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Totally agree with you rocket7676. I used to get WNED 24/7, now only during tropo. The Canadian broadcasters are anti-competitive.
Yep, I wonder what all the costs have been for the switch and what the cost is electricity wise to run these stations.
What really annoys me is having the 2 Omni stations on two different frequencies. Why can't the Canadian providers start using sub channels for this purpose? I mean, they're always complaining about money, so why not get the networks together on the same transmitters and save money. After all the technology exist why not use it?
I presume my tv set up pales in comparison to yours firstly I am in west waterloo in a depression bordered by Westmount and university I face east but I am forced to an indoor setup on the ninth floor of a private condominium so I am definitely lacking the needed elevation I may be ninety to hundred feet above ground level I have tried many indoor antennas over the years however I have settled upon the KIng rv antenna which is only able to effectively capture vhf mid to high and uhf I have it connected to a Homeworx tv converter box I always receive TVO Global CKCO CTS CBC I don't know what happened to CITYTV lately when atmospheric conditions are just right such as last night I pull in ABC BUffalo FOX 29 BUffalo and WNLO and its substations made a brief appearance then was gone I suspect its operating at reduced power I also saw ION Batavia and got a brief glimpse of life on 16 Mytv Global on 17 rf Toronto bothers me what is the interference threshold my recievers can suppress on adjacent channels even if I was able to receive this during tropospheric conditions I would happy I think the Jetstream was arcing from the south lastnite as opposed to South East I even check my Buffalo FM stations they were barely coming in is there a dtv converter box that has even greater sensitivity and selectivity than my current Homeworx any constructive feedback would be most welcome please and thank-you

·
Registered
595 Posts
feedback would be most welcome
The first thing I would do to try to improve reception is lose the Homeworx box if possible. I tried it with my set up and found it needed about 3 or 4 dB more signal to deliver a stable picture, it's also very sensitive to adjacent channel interference and easily overdriven by strong close signals which affect reception of far weak signals. If getting rid of that tuner is not possible you're only other hope is a change of antenna. Do you have a balcony you can mount one on?

I am just behind fairview park mall 17 stories up with an FF4 antenna on my balcony so my results are far from typical for KW.

P.S. I am up in your neck of the woods often, have family at Fischer-Hallman and Keatsway area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is my first post .. I noticed you lived in Kitchener as you can see I am in Waterloo and beyond frustrated with the spectrum sell off damn Canadian broadcasters why do I need Global on rf 17 and rf 23 the same with TVO I can easily pick up these from Toronto same with City TV why the Woodstock transmitter I also receive Toronto and the latest issue WNED on 31 and I still presume City is still broadcasting from there however I have no way of verifying the only improvement I have seen thus far is before the repack never was able to receive WUTV Buffalo and now it appears sporadically I hope I you feel I am respecting you and the forum if your feeling disrespected please let me know and I will profusely apologize any insight you have for me would be much appreciated I will be happy to post my channel results from my location
I used to live in Eastbridge (north Waterloo) with a 30 foot 8 bay and only recieved cbc and French cbc from Toronto so the closer global , tvo, and city were much welcomed. I'm out of town now past Elmira and don't get anything off the CN tower (~60 miles) at all so that's what all those repeaters are for at paris/Woodstock. CityTv is now frequently knocked out for co channel from Buffalo even with me 90 miles away from Buffalo. So dumb they they didn't have to follow the repack. I do get ion, fox and ABC nearly every night but if they come in citytv is gone. Even in heavy tropo events I rarely get CN tower, only once in the past week did see the new test channels for Omni/city/global .

·
Registered
23 Posts
The first thing I would do to try to improve reception is lose the Homeworx box if possible. I tried it with my set up and found it needed about 3 or 4 dB more signal to deliver a stable picture, it's also very sensitive to adjacent channel interference and easily overdriven by strong close signals which affect reception of far weak signals. If getting rid of that tuner is not possible you're only other hope is a change of antenna. Do you have a balcony you can mount one on?

I am just behind fairview park mall 17 stories up with an FF4 antenna on my balcony so my results are far from typical for KW.

P.S. I am up in your neck of the woods often, have family at Fischer-Hallman and Keatsway area.
I appreciate your prompt response with respect to a substitution for the homeworx box do you have any better recommendations? the antenna I do have is directional and seemingly well constructed purchased through ebay I welcome you to look them up (KIng rv antennas) and please give your honest opinion based on the specs ..with respect to antenna placement I am confined to indoors as my unit does not have a balcony or outdoor porthole .. infact residents are not allowed to have objects outside their premises so you mentoned your just behind Fairvew Park Mall one building I am familiar with is the Gresham Place apartment building .. so would 17 stories place you about 170 feet above street level which direction do you face? what do you personally use as a receiver? Last night I was able to receive all the locals plus ABC NBC CBS FOX ION MYTV all from Buffalo still no PBS .. are you able to confirm that CITY TV is still broadcasting from Woodstock on 31? Kitchener -Waterloo has been my main stomping ground for 55 years no with the exception of half a year in Barrie two years in Welland and a year in Niagara Falls ..all school related I grew up in the Forest Hill neighborhood then onto Beechwood My parents are retired teachers now into their mid eighties in my youth spent many hours trapezing through Fairview Park Mall I use to a really good tv for channel capture it was Sony XBR9 the signal diagnostics were incredible ..I am not even sure if Sony has this on any current models one last thing for now my parents still live in the Fischer Hallman and Keatsway area I am in the Beechmount condiminium on Westcourt Place

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to live in Eastbridge (north Waterloo) with a 30 foot 8 bay and only recieved cbc and French cbc from Toronto so the closer global , tvo, and city were much welcomed. I'm out of town now past Elmira and don't get anything off the CN tower (~60 miles) at all so that's what all those repeaters are for at paris/Woodstock. CityTv is now frequently knocked out for co channel from Buffalo even with me 90 miles away from Buffalo. So dumb they they didn't have to follow the repack. I do get ion, fox and ABC nearly every night but if they come in citytv is gone. Even in heavy tropo events I rarely get CN tower, only once in the past week did see the new test channels for Omni/city/global .
Hello please help me follow what your saying so you use to live in east waterloo and so even with a 30 foot 8 bay antenna you were only able to receive cbc from Toronto? however you were able to receive global from Paris and TVO and City tv Woodstock? So now being past Elmira are you just north?or also east? and with your same 30 foot mast and 8 bay antenna your now able to receive year around.. Buffalo stations but no Toronto I can get City TV from the Toronto transmitter .. but what I cant seem to get since the repack is even a glimpse of PBS on 31 nothing I feel if they could boost their power to over 300.000 watts then I would get it at certain times .. City TV Woodstock is a thorn in my side as is the TVO and Global transmitter the lasttime I received PBS Buffalo was when they were still on UHF 43

·
Registered
48 Posts
West of Elmira, I have a UHF directional ufo with Omni VHF , and an 8 bay as well. And a VHF dipole, but it does worse than my 8bay for VHF 10 (ctv2 LDN).

30 foot 8 bay antenna you were only able to receive cbc from Toronto? however you were able to receive global from Paris and TVO and City tv Woodstock
Correct.

·
Registered
23 Posts
West of Elmira, I have a UHF directional ufo with Omni VHF , and an 8 bay as well. And a VHF dipole, but it does worse than my 8bay for VHF 10 (ctv2 LDN).
I really find it interesting that even though you are not only north of Waterloo now but also west and Buffalo is booming perhaps it also has to do with elevation what do you use for a receiver ? are you ever able to snag Michigan Ohio Pennsylvania any other NY cities besides Buffalo?

Correct.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've gotten CBC Windsor once at ~240km (150 miles), nothing further than than that towards the south. I've picked up some Erie stuff before, and Jamestown, Cleveland has always eluded me :(. I've gotten Rochester a few times 260km (160 miles).

The best receiver I have is actually an old 1080p LG tv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've gotten CBC Windsor once at ~240km (150 miles), nothing further than than that towards the south. I've picked up some Erie stuff before, and Jamestown, Cleveland has always eluded me :(. I've gotten Rochester a few times 260km (160 miles).

The best receiver I have is actually an old 1080p LG tv.
how old is your LG tv what is the model number? I had for many years a absolutely stunning Sony XBR9 it had a very sophisticated on board signal diagnostics I had to let it go for lack of parts I would seek out a refurbished one in a heartbeat or a similar model

·
Registered
595 Posts
@rocket7676 I get all of Buffalo except WNED, WNYO, WBBZ and WBXZ 24/7, all of Toronto except the pirate station, all Kitchener/Paris , CIty Woodstock and WSEE Erie PA as 24/7 stations. I use my one year old Samsung tv's tuner with a short 12' run of cable to my antenna. I face Buffalo.

What tv do you currently use. If it is relatively new it's tuner is much more likely to be better than the homeworx box, there is an entire thread on that box, some have success, many don't, It would also help knowing the model number of your antenna. King rv have many models.

·
Registered
250 Posts
@rocket7676 I get all of Buffalo except WNED, WNYO, WBBZ and WBXZ 24/7, all of Toronto except the pirate station, all Kitchener/Paris , CIty Woodstock and WSEE Erie PA as 24/7 stations. I use my one year old Samsung tv's tuner with a short 12' run of cable to my antenna. I face Buffalo.

What tv do you currently use. If it is relatively new it's tuner is much more likely to be better than the homeworx box, there is an entire thread on that box, some have success, many don't, It would also help knowing the model number of your antenna. King rv have many models.
There is a pirate station in Toronto?

·
Registered
23 Posts

My antenna is the King Jack directional antenna with signal meter (I am unable to hook up the signal meter) its shown on their website at 149.00 American dollars so with respect to your Samsung tv do you have the model number? does it come in a 43 inch or smaller any thoughts on the channel master dvr ota receiver?

1241 - 1260 of 1282 Posts