Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 1281 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think your autologgers also grabbed those test stations, might wanna check up on that. I am drunk so take whatever I post with a very large grains of salt, love my dx'ing buds.
i think global in toronto is testing on channel 17 because there is a strong signal but no picture

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's interference from CITY Woodstock. My tv's signal meter always shows f31 at about 14-15dB when pointed at Buffalo, no picture, when pointed at Woodstock it's 25-27dB and a clear pic of CITY. This am the tropo was cooking and WNED came in around the same as CITY.

·
Registered
250 Posts
New at 9:25 am, WFFC Midland, Michigan RF17 VC17

Last night, I also had the more boring catches of WNYO Buffalo and the Omni stations from Toronto on their new transmitters.

Today, the mid Michigan channels are in with a nice strong signal. WCMU, WNEM, WDCQ, WBSF and WJRT have made their presence known once again. At one time, most of these stations would be regular visitors, not so much anymore. Happy to see them again.

10:00 am, Just like that, the Michigan stations have disappeared and the Cleveland ones are appearing. At my location, this means too stop and that I will. I'll try again later tonight into Saturday. Looks like it could be great for dxing!

·
Registered
595 Posts
You lucky bastard (said in a George Constanza voice). Been getting lots of Cleveland, all Erie, WNEP on rf50 from Scranton but these long hauls Orbot and Hepburn have gotten have eluded me. I will take a sojourn over to Farmboy and load up on aiming fluid shortly, hopefully this improves my reception and if not, at least I get drunk and don't remember how badly I got outclassed as a DX'er.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Was out at the cottage this morn in Colchester Ont. near lake erie and put up a new antenna, a CM3018 am still using the LNA200 amp from the old clone 4bowtie I was using.

here's what I logged about 7am to 9am Sat morn.

WLIO RF8 Lima Ohio....NEW
WCMH RF14 Columbus
WHIO RF33 Dayton.....NEW
WHIZ RF18 Dayton
ABC6 Columbus
WMFD RF12 Manfield Oh
WILX RF10 Lansing Mich
RF44 maps as 44.1 shopping ch and DABL.....Don't know location as no calls on this one shocked that its still on the old freq. anyone get this one before???

·
Registered
250 Posts
Was out at the cottage this morn in Colchester Ont. near lake erie and put up a new antenna, a CM3018 am still using the LNA200 amp from the old clone 4bowtie I was using.

here's what I logged about 7am to 9am Sat morn.

WLIO RF8 Lima Ohio....NEW
WCMH RF14 Columbus
WHIO RF33 Dayton.....NEW
WHIZ RF18 Dayton
ABC6 Columbus
WMFD RF12 Manfield Oh
WILX RF10 Lansing Mich
RF44 maps as 44.1 shopping ch and DABL.....Don't know location as no calls on this one shocked that its still on the old freq. anyone get this one before???
I'm not sure, but WW44DC-D from Columbus has a Shopping channel and a DABL one as well. Could be it, possibly?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes that must be it, thankyou steelota.....I was thinking Columbus since it was coming in the same time as WCMH and ABC6 . Looks like they didn't switch yet in the repack.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hope all my fellow dx'ers and your families are safe and sound. My 84 year old Dad lost a friend in Toronto this week, he was relatively healthy, no underlying conditions. Yeah, it's a virus that attacks the older folks the most but if we really care we would make those small sacrifices like wearing a mask in stores and adhere to distancing. It's like dx'ng, we want to be that unresolved channel, just a few dB away from getting it.

This season has SUCKED, I was so hoping for a banner year while stations changed freq's, the opposite has happened, and to make matters worse, rather than getting the heck off a freq these Toronto stations, who don't deserve to have more than one or 2, at best, freqs (they can multiplex with cheap US used equipment), clutter up the airwaves for us DX'ers.

I have zero clue what it costs electricity wise to broadcast 2 stations but I am certain it would be much cheaper and efficient to multicast those at 720p using one freq. IMHO I think this is just anti-competitive nonsense. We should petition CBC Toronto to sell their bandwidth on rf 25 and multiplex that data with CBLT, rf 20.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds good except I would choose rf25.
It’s the only major Toronto station that isn’t affected by co-channel interference from Syracuse.
As a matter of fact I just got back from Syracuse today. Was excited to try out new rf17 from CN tower, signal is rather weak as is all the Toronto stations tonight for some reason. Anyway I’m quarantined for 14 days so I’ll be doing a lot of channel scanning!

·
Registered
595 Posts
25 would do fine. What I don't get is why our National Broadcaster with a shrinking budget wouldn't make the smart move and multiplex their signal. Hockey, their number one property, which they don't get any revenue from, is broadcast in 720p. The current line of products offered by companies like Gates Air etc offer cheap solutions to maximize efficiencies in the long term. We know CBC and most Canadian OTA broadcasters aren't going to adopt ATSC 3.0 for the foreseeable future, at least save us taxpayers some money for crying out loud!

Thanks for being a good sport and self isolating Brightonian, my 20 year old nephew hung out with a grocery store clerk that tested positive, a young one like him, he was tested last night, we wait the results but it is frustrating as hell that some people just don't get it, he's a smart kid but so socially involved he thought he was bulletproof.

My experience is the elderly are the worst for social distancing in grocery stores, whereas the young are worst in liquor stores and in general, it makes no sense . The mall directly across from my apartment, Fairview Park, was open today, I cruised through and 2 young dudes were walking against traffic. I was amped up on coffee and my usual self and said "Dudes, use your f'ning heads and follow the arrows", the one dude looked scared, the other dude looked like he wanted a fight, I stopped cold and gave him the stinkeye look and they backed down and proceeded to backtrack.

Most folks are following the rules, it's the dolts that put others in peril. Don't be afraid to call out idiots, the general public are wanting this threat to our parents and self over with asap.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Was getting CJOH Ottawa on rf13 this morning. Also picked up WWNY on RF8.
Not sure why this one had been so elusive since they changed last week. It seems weaker than before yet they increased power to 50kw.... that’s a lot of power for VHF-HI.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Major eskip event going on right now on the FM band and for the last 1.5 hours. Check this out, My Country 95.5 Casper Wymong 1279 miles, Public Radio 91.9 Laramie Wyoming 1260 miles, 96.1 KXY Oklahoma City 1018 miles, KVSP 103.5 Oklahoma City and 93.1, The River KRVN Lexington Nebraska 969 miles. Also had some station with Mexican music, could not identify it. The live propagation map shows us that those with Low VHF might get something.

Some of these stations have been in for over 1 hour!

Super excited to finally get eskip.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Crap .... I must of missed it or perhaps it didn’t happen here. Around the Summer Solstice in the late afternoon is usually the best chance to catch e-skip.
Wyoming is pretty impressive!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Crap .... I must of missed it or perhaps it didn’t happen here. Around the Summer Solstice in the late afternoon is usually the best chance to catch e-skip.
Wyoming is pretty impressive!
I was almost ready to quit FM Dxing until today. It seemed like whenever the live FM Dxing map would point at my location, I would get nothing but the local stations without even a sniff of something. Today, the FM band was crazy.

At one point within a 1 minute span, I had 4 different stations come in and then go out on 93.0. I'm sure, I could of identified even more stations, if the RDS actually worked on far away stations. This definitely slowed things down.

By the way, I was inside the house just using the whip antenna on my radio to get in these stations.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Been getting sporadic vhflo signal jumps the past few days but wasn't able to lock anything until now. Had the hdhomerun config utility parked on rf3 and the last time I checked it I was surprised to actually see a callsign:

RF3 (42.1) WTHC Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
250 Posts
Been getting sporadic vhflo signal jumps the past few days but wasn't able to lock anything until now. Had the hdhomerun config utility parked on rf3 and the last time I checked it I was surprised to actually see a callsign:

RF3 (42.1) WTHC Atlanta, GA
Well done orbot. It is great to see a signal hunter catch something in this extremely slow 2020 dxing season. This is the slowest season that I can recall since I've been in this hobby. I guess it's a good thing, I diversified into FM dxing as well. Otherwise, I would be disappointed and bored.

·
Registered
23 Posts
25 would do fine. What I don't get is why our National Broadcaster with a shrinking budget wouldn't make the smart move and multiplex their signal. Hockey, their number one property, which they don't get any revenue from, is broadcast in 720p. The current line of products offered by companies like Gates Air etc offer cheap solutions to maximize efficiencies in the long term. We know CBC and most Canadian OTA broadcasters aren't going to adopt ATSC 3.0 for the foreseeable future, at least save us taxpayers some money for crying out loud!

Thanks for being a good sport and self isolating Brightonian, my 20 year old nephew hung out with a grocery store clerk that tested positive, a young one like him, he was tested last night, we wait the results but it is frustrating as hell that some people just don't get it, he's a smart kid but so socially involved he thought he was bulletproof.

My experience is the elderly are the worst for social distancing in grocery stores, whereas the young are worst in liquor stores and in general, it makes no sense . The mall directly across from my apartment, Fairview Park, was open today, I cruised through and 2 young dudes were walking against traffic. I was amped up on coffee and my usual self and said "Dudes, use your f'ning heads and follow the arrows", the one dude looked scared, the other dude looked like he wanted a fight, I stopped cold and gave him the stinkeye look and they backed down and proceeded to backtrack.

Most folks are following the rules, it's the dolts that put others in peril. Don't be afraid to call out idiots, the general public are wanting this threat to our parents and self over with asap.
This is my first post .. I noticed you lived in Kitchener as you can see I am in Waterloo and beyond frustrated with the spectrum sell off damn Canadian broadcasters why do I need Global on rf 17 and rf 23 the same with TVO I can easily pick up these from Toronto same with City TV why the Woodstock transmitter I also receive Toronto and the latest issue WNED on 31 and I still presume City is still broadcasting from there however I have no way of verifying the only improvement I have seen thus far is before the repack never was able to receive WUTV Buffalo and now it appears sporadically I hope I you feel I am respecting you and the forum if your feeling disrespected please let me know and I will profusely apologize any insight you have for me would be much appreciated I will be happy to post my channel results from my location

1221 - 1240 of 1281 Posts