Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1285 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Weird tropo this am, Erie is 100%, faint signals on rf51 and rf48 which is Pittsburgh but WTOV Wheeling W.V. was coming in at 60% for a couple of minutes, just ended. Buffalo and Rochester are booming, the rain doesn't seem to be doing anything to hurt it.

Only the 2nd time I've pulled in WTOV.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Shaping up to be a great night tropo wise. Getting lot's of Cleveland, WEKA, WQHS. WBNX, WGGN, WDLI, Giot a mystery channel that didn't resolve on rf43, Motive was on 17-1 and Marty and Maya was on 17-2. Picking up strong hints on rf21 facing Cleveland, I suspect it might be Detroit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Picking up lot's of everything, Cleveland, Youngstown, Pittsburgh, all Erie, some Rochester. Saw an anti-Trump ad on WKBN, very effective , "Retired Generals of America, Donald Trump, too Dangerous for America". Ohio's a swing state so it'll be interesting to see all the attack ads, something most of us Canadian's never get to see as New York is a solidly Democratic state and neither party run many ads there.

8:12am WLEP Erie is pumping in at 90%, for those near me trying to catch this LP station, now's the time!
8:19am WOUC Cambridge Ohio, rf44
8:41am WFMJ Youngstown rf20 (rare)

P.S. Just saw a promo on Univision for the Netflix series "Narco's", it'll be broadcast by them, pretty cool, it's a great show.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good tropo this am looking east of me. Most of Rochester, WROC, WXXI, WBGT, W42CO, WHEC, Syracuse WSTM, WUTR Utica and a brief hit on WMHT Schnectedy/Albany, (rf34). Getting a faint signal on rf51, which I suspect is WHSU, which would be a new one.

8:37am, Looking West, all of Erie except WSTM including WLEP, WKBN/WYFX Youngstown, WTAE and WPXI Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Picking up WWNY on RF7 right now. Nice catches, I'm still trying to catch WLEP. Also keeping my eye on that rf51 for WHSU too.

8:54 - CHEX, WXXI, WWTI, WROC

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cleveland is booming, getting most including WQDI rf21 0.25KW, still only has 20-1 and 20-6, and WEKA.

Rochester is booming as well for me.

Missed the earlier tropo, I was cooking a late dinner (hot ham water) and watching Arrested Development.

3:50am WNYF/WWNy rf18, WWTI rf20 CKWS rf30, CKWS rf11

·
Registered
754 Posts
Picked up a couple more around 11:30 last night - WFXP, WGGN, WQHS, WUHF, WSTM, and WMYD from Detroit.

Everything seems gone now for me except there's a signal on RF6 that I can't lock.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Everything seems gone now for me except there's a signal on RF6 that I can't lock.
Don't be surprised if it's from Georgia or Alabama, the ham maps (if accurate) are showing huge hops and low VHF performs more like that. I tried to see it and got nothing, but the SWR on the VHF band of the FF4 is terrible so no surprise I didn't get a hint.

Your Winegard antenna has good SWR for VHF, although I don't have figures for low VHF but it's a hell of a lot better than mine.

Good Luck and hope you snag it!

·
Registered
597 Posts
According to Hepburn's map today could be a propitious tropo experience. His map is so far on time, getting lots of Cleveland in the last half hour, hopefully it gets better but I think we'll miss the best of it this far north.

Orbot, that rf6 you were getting was WEYS out of Andover Florida, Hepburn snagged it, what a catch!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hepburn has a very good low-VHF antenna designed for those long hauls, us mere mortals using off the shelf antennas or good homebuilts for high-VHF.UHF don't stand a chance unless we adopt models that Nikiml and holl_ands have modeled specifically for low VHF.

In short, you didn't miss anything with your current set-up, except maybe WQDI.

Here are some killer low VHF homebuilds to grab those far off Low VHF stations when ES and Tropo are in the air.

nikiml's Antenna pages - GH2n VHF-hi/low combo antenna
nikiml's Antenna pages - GH4n VHF-hi/low combo antenna

LoVHF Hourglass-Loop - No Reflector
LoVHF AWG10 Hourglass-Loop + 3 ReflRods

I suspect few of these have been built given their gargantuan sizes but they can be built and I trust the performance will match the models. Commercial antennas rarely pick up those far ranging ES signals except I remember Bark 64 or someone else in London snagged a Cuban station with a Channel Master 8 bay,and member Majortom scored KNOP rf 2, kinda like winning the lottery.

P.S. Forgot to add, Hepburn also got an rf 5 DIGITAL out of Nashville same day he scored Florida and lots of Cubans.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The live propagation map looks really strong just to the south of Lake Erie. I am hoping this moves into my area so that I can get a double hop from south of Ohio. Could be an amazing night!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looks like your hopes are coming true. Getting WBNS Columbus, tons of Cleveland all of Erie some Pittsburgh (WTAE, WPXI). Buffalo is so strong right now that with my antenna pointed at Pittsburgh, which is a null for Buffalo, WDBT is still showing up at 60%.

Hope you snag a few new ones!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Strong tropo out of London Ontario, getting Omni rf48 vc 69-1 on a ricochet off the ski hill near me as well as CHCH rf51. Rochester is booming and lots more trying to come in, rf21, rf 8. All of Erie is present.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This morning the kid hit CH 3 on the remote and there was an analog signal present.

It was 'ghosting' but there was definitely an analog station on RF 3.
I have no idea where it is from?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Probably one of those low VHF Cuban's Hepburn gets frequently. They've been frequent visitors for him the last 2 weeks.

Getting very strong Eastern Tropo, all Buffalo except WBXZ, Rochester is booming, WHEC, W42CO, WXXI, WROC, WBGT, blanked rf28, blanked rf13, WSTM Syracuse, WKTV Utica.

Orbot, I've gotten WVTT the last 3 nights, it's still a THIS TV affiliate so I don't know what that rf34 you got a week or so ago was. The channel resolves once my signal strength hits 35% showing the channel name and program ID.

Looks like the next few days could beer intense with this heat wave coming. Best of luck !

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sorry about that dsspredator, he hadn't added that to his log when I checked, you're most certainly right, nice haul, Timmins.

If you guys got your ears on now is the time to try to snag WQDI Cleveland, that 0.25kw station, it's booming for me and has been solid for a half hour at 70% ss. All of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Erie, Buffalo, Rochester is HOT.

Besides WQDI, other low powers or hard gets would be WJW, Cleveland, WVIZ on RF38 and rf26, WRLM, WPGH rf43, WVTT rf34.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Might be a good night in spite of Hepburn's pessimistic map. Picking up WVTT @80%ss and WNEP rf50 Scranton in spite of Erie booming.

12:15am Cleveland's WGGN, WDLI, WBNX, WQHS, WVPX, WEAO
Pittsburgh's WPXI, WTAE

12:45 WSKA rf30 Corning NY, CIII rf27 Peterborough
1:25 am WYDC/WJKP rf48, they dropped accu weather on 48-3 for Comet, WDTB Buffalo rf29
2:20am WROC, WXXI, WBGT, WHEC

81 - 100 of 1285 Posts