Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1558 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New channel for me last night. I was flipping through the manual tuning feature and noticed a signal coming in on channel 15 where Sun TV used to be. Moved the antenna a bit and it remapped to channel 19. Apparently it is Flint Michigan. It is another PBS channel. First time this has ever showed up for me. This morning I am getting some of the stations in from Rochester.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
OTA: SW Ontario, MI, Lk. Erie area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception

Discussion for above regions.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
OTA: Eastern Ontario & Quebec DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception

Discussion for above regions.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Winter Tropo

Last night ION - WPXJ (94 miles away, -15 NM) was booming in last night and the temperature was -10 C.

Who said tropo only occurs with temps are above freezing...

·
Registered
18 Posts
tropo today

Was scanning channels this morning and was able to latch onto a signal on 48 analogue. Does anyone know where this channel originates? Odd tropo today must be due to incomming warm front, most unusual though.

Antennacraft U4000, CM9510 Rotor, Antennacraft10G201 Pre-amp, Sony Bravia TV.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
goforit, is it really that difficult to receive ION?! I catch this one on a regular basis all year around here in KW.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Aburgdxer said:
...was able to latch onto a signal on 48 analogue. Does anyone know where this channel originates?
Likely the very directional low powered Wpxd Ion repeater station from Detroit "W48AV" or could have been CBLFT from Chatham, both of which would not be far enough away to be really classified as true "tropo".

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, the only way of getting WPXJ in Burlington is when 'bad tropo' over Lake Ontario is completely killing WUTV-DT... and occasionally other Buffalo-area stations!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tropo

Thanks for your input, thought I latched onto something at a much greater distance. More than likely this was WPXD from Detroit, first time I got a clear picture on this channel.:p

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Jase88, the only time ION comes in for me, is when there appears to be some tropo going on- other channels see a bounce in signal strength, like last night, which tells me something is going on in the atmosphere; it's interesting it's happening in sub-freezing weather.

Maybe the signal is receivable with a better set-up like yours, but for others with more modest set-ups, we need the help of the right atmosphere conditions to snag it, which occurs regularly during the warmer months of the year, and surprisingly in -10 C weather too; maybe it's something unique to digital signals over analog or something else... It seems to be occurring tonight a little, with BUF readings higher than normal, but not enough to lock in ION.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
My setup might not be the key here. I believe my area is significantly higher above sea level than most of Hamilton. What's your height ASL? I'm about 350m.

·
Registered
638 Posts
NON Event 2011

Was it just me or was last year really poor for those multi day tropos?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Jase88, I'm 639 feet and then 35 for the tower, so about 670 feet, so about 220m..., so not as high as you.

Additionally, the Highland area of Hamilton is east of me (prime OTA land!) plus the CHCH tower is about 2 miles from my house- which makes getting ION more difficult even though I'm closer than you.

Interestingly, ION was coming in this evening, how is it at your location?

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
goforit, no ION tonight for me...not even a hint.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Wilspin, I thought 2011 was an average year. Maybe a little more consistency caused by slightly less tropo or hotter average temps, but I still had some good catches last year.

·
Registered
638 Posts
In 2010 I watched Syracuse for days on end no drop outs, 2011 not even an hour at a time.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Last post January 4th, and last post in the Ontario Tropo Thread is January 6th.

Depths of Winter, probably good a time as any to discuss the theory on what makes Tropo and other forms of enhanced reception occur.
A pretty good article here.

http://www.dxfm.com/Content/propagation.htm

Anything you may or may not have already known in that article?
Any other articles you know of to share?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good article. Interesting that they mention reliable VHF tropo between California and Hawaii. Now that's quite a distance for it to be regular.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
yeah, the weather is pretty stable in them parts I guess.

I found it interesting that noone really knows what causes sporadic E.

1 - 20 of 1558 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.