Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
PHAND said:
So are you going to send them a notice of copyright infringement?
No, I had left that part of my web site uncopyrighted all along while I was still developing it so this was simply a matter of Internet propriety and plagiarism. Yesterday I asserted copyright on it and applied an open source license to it thusly:
This material may be distributed only subject to the terms and conditions
set forth in the Open Publication License, v1.0 or later. The latest version
is presently available at http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/.

Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is prohibited
without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
So if/when it shows up on another site without the above notice and accreditation to me or in altered form without my consent I will deal with the offender accordingly.

If/when Digital Home's material shows up on another site it will be dealt with by Hugh.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
A suggestion about those new videos...

If you can leave a comment at those video sites please say that he's incorrect about the term "Hoverman" and also put in a link to our site's Gray Hoverman intro:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81982

I find it irritating that on the Engadget site's description of the Vimeo video they have a hot link with the term "We've seen a few complicated DIY antenna projects" that directs to the Gray Hoverman. The GH is easier to build! :rolleyes:

Maybe we'll clear some things up somehow.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I tip my hat to mclapp, perhaps the most knowledgeable and experienced 4-bay bowtie reflector builder on the web, who says that building a GH is easier.

When you think about it, if you are building a GH for attic mounting you only have to bend 2 long pieces of stripped solid wire in a specific fashion, attach them to a piece of wood, and then put aluminum foil on a piece of either plywood, strong cardboard, or styrofoam to attach as the reflector.

For outdoor use the need for solid, weather-proof materials makes for a much more involved build.

:)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Thank you Bowenjau for the Firefox browser tip, much appreciated.

randomusername2 and all:
if you see the contents of www.digitalhome.ca posted elsewhere without proper citation please poist the offending URL into the Member Feedback forum of this site so that we can begin a dialogue to resolve the situation. Sadly and irritatingly the company that is the topic of this thread was unwilling to enter into a dialogue with this site to solve the plagiarism and copyright issues, but not all of the web sites have been like that.​
cheers

P.S. don't forget about this everyone! ;)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
We give you much better options!

Nuke777, its good that you asked here about those coat hanger antennas found on the web before building one.

Our experts have tested them thoroughly and have found that they are garbage compared to what we've created in the Gray Hoverman and mclapp Do-It-Yourself antenna models found in the link given by recneps77.

Also make sure to read the OTA FAQ and then read through the Reception Results thread for your area to see which gear works best there.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The bowtie antenna was invented in 1898 so they're all clones if you take it literally. :)

In this environment of OTA in Canada I'm sure we all know what is meant by "clones" in this context.

In the clothing industry they use the term "knockoff" for cheap Chinese imitation goods. Maybe that would be a better term for these antennas...

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I would definitely not build a GH out of coat hangers. If you have to drive a nail you don't want a sponge rubber hammer! :D

The beauty of the GH is that by following the plans and using the recommended materials you get the very best antenna you could need. :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Recently a home furnishings wholesale club in Canada (not Costco) has started offering a cheap, flimsy clone 4-bay UHF antenna at a low price on their web site.

It is a usually reputable company that unfortunately chose a crappy antenna to try and sell. I'm not posting the link or giving that company free publicity here for that inferior product.

We've had 2 enquiries about it in one day, and I'm happy to clarify that it is garbage. Potential buyers should get a proper antenna. :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
More trouble at Dixie & Matheson

lagerman, I've been hearing that lots of people are being sold garbage antennas in those shops at Dixie & Matheson.

In your case here's what to do:
  1. take back all that stuff for a refund
  2. read through the thread for your area (in this case the ON - Mississauga, Brampton, Bramalea, Port Credit - OTA thread)
  3. go with the same gear that your nearby neighbours are having success with (probably a CM4221HD)
  4. go pay a visit to our site sponsor http://www.saveandreplay.com in Mississauga (near Kennedy and Courtneypark) for your new gear
cheers

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.