Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried to post here but denied.

TV has only on coax in, fr the linked post realize can't just simply combine the two signals into a single out but wondering if there's something on the market now rather than a manual A/B switch that would combine the signals into one output?

(having to get up off the couch to switch channels just seems wrong)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
There is an easy solution to that problem:
Put the CATV feed to a digital cable box and connect to your TV or AVR with an HDMI cable, or S-Vid and optical if its only SD. That frees up the RF input for digital OTA.
Or, you could go the other way. Connect the (Basic) CATV feed to the RF on your TV and get an external tuner for OTA, then connect that to your TV or AVR via HDMI. (you could even get aDual tuner OTA HD PVR)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You can't combine OTA and CATV into a single coax feed for your tv. You need either an A/B switch or a set top box for one of the services and feed that into a separate input on your tv.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
If you don't have a cable box (as suggested above), I have seen remote-switchable A/B switches. Save & Replay carries them (I believe).

As analog cable uses the same spectrum as off-air channels, you can't combine the two.

EDIT: Save & Replay $49.99.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you have a VCR with Composite, Component or S-Video outputs, you can plug the analog cable on your VCR, then your VCR with component or composite or S-Video Cables to the TV. Then, you plug your antenna to the RF Input of your TV. Then, you will use your VCR remote to change cable channel and tv remote to change input (RF-Antenna, Composite-VCR) and TV channel.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems a hassle. Was hoping that there would be a device out there to combine the feeds so I could just thumb up and down through the channels. Guess easiest (other than buying the A/B switch) is I'll bring up the DVD-r and starting getting use to finding the input button in the dark.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
For historic reasons CATV uses most of the same band allotment as OTA, which came first. The link in your original post goes into details about bad problems that can happen if someone runs both over the same coax cables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts