Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..via software update. There ain't much in the appstore, that's for sure, at least in the Canadian store.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hmm, last night I automatically got an iWork update... they must have posted this one pretty late.

I may try and get it later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Being that it's software, I can't imagine there are distribution rights issues as there would be with media (movies, music, etc.). I'm guessing that the content is sucky in both, as I went in with my USA ITMS account, and was quite unimpressed as well.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Purchased iMovie '11 from the new App Store for $14.99. Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Being that it's software, I can't imagine there are distribution rights issues as there would be with media
I think that the fact that there are iPhone apps on the US store that are not available on the Canadian iPhone app store (for whatever reason) indicates that this is not the case.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm lost. What does the iPhone app store (which I presume you mean iTunes app store) have to do with the Mac app store?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Just as a note, this Mac App Store is ONLY available for Snow Leopard users.

I might have to think about the upgrade soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would say the app store is so so at best. You have to open App Store manually to check if there are updates to apps you have installed.

The Twitter app at least did not tell me it had an update, I only found out by opening the app store program.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Mac App Store is still a nice idea even if the offerings are slim at this point. Problem is, unlike iOS devices, you don't need it to buy software for your computer.

Apple needs to come up with some compelling reason for software publishers to want to sell software through the Mac App store.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I'm lost. What does the iPhone app store (which I presume you mean iTunes app store) have to do with the Mac app store?
Apple just opened up what they call an 'App Store' for recent model Macintosh computers.

You're probably wondering how this is any different than the ability to download and pay for software, the same thing that personal computers have had for 20+ years.

You'd be right, it's basically the same thing.

But they have wrapped it in the same format as the popular iTunes and iPhone app stores. It's crazy but it's the kind of model that I guess customers are flocking to these days, so it should do well.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Mac App Store is still a nice idea even if the offerings are slim at this point. Problem is, unlike iOS devices, you don't need it to buy software for your computer.

Apple needs to come up with some compelling reason for software publishers to want to sell software through the Mac App store.
The compelling reason is going to be 'volume'.

Independent software sellers now might get 1000 hits a week and sell 10-20 copies to wayward internet travellers who manage to stumble onto their site, navigate the various scary looking payment systems, etc.

But with App Store, customers go there looking to buy. They are accustomed with the format, the distribution, the payment. It's all seamless and familiar to them, so they buy. That independent seller might move 100 or 500 copies due to the massive exposure and customer convenience. Of course the volumes can and will have a dramatic effect on price points. People who would never shell out hundreds for Aperture are gobbling it up at the $80 price point. And Angry Birds would be bargain bin fodder at Staples if they tried selling it for $39.99 or $19.99. But at $3-4 impulse download, they'll sell it a million times or more.

Would I give Apple 30% of my sale if it meant my sales went up by 90,000% ?
Sure. I might resent their greedy cut, but the giant cheques rolling in would take some of the sting away.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Apple just opened up what they call an 'App Store' for recent model Macintosh computers
I know. I just don't know what the poster I was replying to was trying to communicate.

The compelling reason is going to be 'volume'.
Yeah I appreciate that but are there so many Mac apps out there that software publishers need the Mac App store?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Retail marketing end run

Hugh said:
I recently read a piece that described that a part of the rationale for an online OS X App Store is that historically Apple and vendors of software products for OS X have rarely been able to get first choice of the best locations for their products in retail stores, so this is an end run around the companies that do have first pick options. It's the same phenomena as grocery and department stores that are actively "encouraged" by large corporations like Coca Cola, Kraft, Chanel, etc. to place their products at eyeline in key locations. :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Surely there has to be some efficiences in not creating packaging and physical media, and of course not tying up working capital in inventory and logistics.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The efficiency and volume argument would definitely seem to be the most compelling argument that Apple can make but you said it yourself, "There ain't much in the appstore, that's for sure, at least in the Canadian store."

So I guess, I'm wondering, if it's so compelling, why are more software developers not getting on board?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have to assume that if you sold it the old fashion way, you wouldn't get more than 70% of the retail price. Obviously more if you sold it as a download.

Interesting though. I think it might also be they are afraid that Apple will apply its heavy handed tactics with the iTunes store so maybe just better to avoid?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The efficiency and volume argument would definitely seem to be the most compelling argument that Apple can make but you said it yourself, "There ain't much in the appstore, that's for sure, at least in the Canadian store."

So I guess, I'm wondering, if it's so compelling, why are more software developers not getting on board?
Watch and see. Excluding Canada, almost every Mac developer is desperate to be a part of the App store. Sure there's notable exceptions like Microsoft, but obviously it's because they are racing to copy the idea for themselves.

Some will pipe up with sour grapes over Apple's dictatorial control and policies, and might even end up taking a principled stand. But the other 99%+ are falling over themselves trying to get on the channel to sell their products at unprecendented volumes and margins.

Eventually the Canadian offerings will eventually beef up. Canadian customers don't demand better treatment, so we end up getting things later, watered down and overpriced. Once a company has maxxed out their easy money and is looking for incremental growth, that's usually when they look to Canada, treating it as a 51st state in which they can sell stuff at a refreshing new margins since most people can't calculate a simple currency exchange, and half the ones who can will help them by making and spreading urban myths about added cost structures to sell into Canada :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts