Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a newbie to all this and have just set up a basic home theater, after getting good advice from elswhere on this forum.:D

Now I'd like some more advice please, specifically on the projector.

My setup is: A Humax Sat Box; a Panasonic Blu-ray player; HDTV; Optoma HD67 Projector (ceiling mounted), with Jamo A102HCS5 surround sound. connected via an Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver. The sat box and blu-ray are connected to the AVR via HDMI with the HDMI out going to the projector. The HDTV is connected via component, because the AVR has only one HDMI out.

Everything works fine except for the projected image from the dvd/blu-ray player. The picture was almost continually flickering (a sort of coloured negative effect?), and sometimes dissapearing altogether, leaving just sound.
I have gone as far as isolating everything and have connected the blu-ray directly to the HDTV with the same cable as the projector - that is fine. However even when the projector is connected directly to the player using the same cable, the result is always the same.

I eventually stopped the flickering by changing the blu-ray output to 1080i instead of 'p'. I'm not totally sure about the comparative quality of both signals. Am I losing a lot of quality? Also the refresh rate shown changes from 60Mhz to 50Mhz, when I change the output.
I was under the impression that the Optoma was capable of detecting the input and that I should not need to make the change manually?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
I suspect an issue with the (long) HDMI cable. What make, length and gauge is it? I assume your other cables are fairly short. It could also be an HDMI issue between the player and FP.

HDMI Issues FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

1080i is not the end of the world - most people can't even notice a difference, but if you can temporarily hook up another (better quality) cable, then that may work. Using a "selected" output option is often better than using "auto" in the BD player setup, after you know what works. Does 1080P/24 work?

Useful post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Where is West Wales?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
The cable is 10m long and v1.4, although it did cost me around £30 would that still be cheap?
- I had originally suspected the cable, but as the tv worked ok with it, I had discounted it. That was probably the wrong decision?
I shall read your links and also order a better lead and let you know the outcome.
regards,
Steve.
PS Wales is (the best!) part of the UK.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
10m is fairly long, so that could be the issue. £30 is certainly not "cheap", but it'd be good if we knew the gauge because that's the all important factor. For that length I'd get a 22 ga cable. These can be ordered on-line for under £30 from the US, but you may wish to try one from a nearby store with a good return policy. ;)

If possible, before ordering a new cable, you could try one of your short cables from the BD player directly to the FP by moving/holding the player close to the FP?

I was looking for a West Wales in Canada since this is a Canadian forum, but you're welcome to come here any time. I also thought you might have been making a joke having moved west from Wales to Canada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the lead I bought on Amazon, I must have confused the price with the Component leads. This one was £15. I'm not sure what guage it is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ectronics&field-keywords=B002VWTVRS&x=15&y=17

After all the searching I've done for information online, Google nearly always brings up this Forum as a result of a detailed search - so thanks for the welcome, it's good to have a 'hotline' directly to the experts!

One thing I did forget to mention was that the picture was even worse when connected directly to the blu-ray, than when it went through receiver.
I'm hoping to fit the ceiling bracket this afternoon, so I'll get a chance to try the projector connected to the player via a much shorter lead.

regards,
Steve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eureka!
I took your advice and took the projector over to the receiver, and connected it (via the AVR) using the sat box lead, and hey presto it picked up the signal immediately at 1080p and 60Hz! :D

The short lead that gave a perfect picture was v1.3 - and the 10M one is the one listed in my post above, and is v1.4 (the projector is 3D ready), but it also has ethernet connectivity - could this be the cause of the flickering maybe?

The only point I'm not sure of now is which 10M cable to replace it with? I take it i still need a v1.4, but is cost alone enough to go on. In fact a 7 meter lead would be long enough, would it be better to get just 7M?

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
If 7m will do, then shorter is better. In the US they also have 25' (8m). As I mentioned before, the important thing is the wire gauge and I suggest 22 ga for long lengths (perhaps 24 ga at 7m). The 1.4, 1.3a, etc ratings for cables are totally misleading. Check out the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452 read post 1 and the links there.

Just as an FYI, the 22 or 24 ga cables will be signficantly thicker and less flexible than a 28 ga cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and ordered a 7M cable. It was a QED one, from cabling4less:

I connected it with great gusto, but was dissapointed to find that the signal was even worse that the much cheaper one.

The whole screen was a series of wavy lines (spikey ones!) and no picture at all. At least with the cheaper cable there was spasmodic picture!

I am am now totally baffled. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
144 Posts
720p projector...

try setting your sources all for 720p output....not sure if you are trying to send it 3-D @1080p...because that won't work.

Your receiver works as a pass-through...and your projector is technically capable of seeing 720p, 1080i/p @50/60Hz... but give it a shot. It's either down rez'd at the source or at the projector...which way is better, you'd have to test on your own. Either way, it will still be 720p displayed.

Give it a shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been away.
I'm not totally sure I understand you. When I connect it with a 2M lead, it displays the picture picture perfectly and shows the source as 1080p at 60Hz. I took that to mean that the projector was capable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently had a similar issue. It turned out to be an issue with the HDMI cable. I replaced the cable, and it resolved this issue for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts