Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I want to enter to the world of projection TV and greatly appreciate your help/input (Never had one before). I have done lots of reading for the last 8 hours and still cannot make a decision on what to buy.
What do you think of Optoma HD66 HD DLP. I'm looking to get a projector, but I really don't have an unlimited budget and this unit appears to be in good price range!

Below is a few of its specs:
Brightness: 2500 Lu (I understand this is important if the room is not custom design for Home Theatre-not very dark)
Contrast: 4000:1 (apparently this much lower than a high end Pany model).
Resolution: 720P
Projection Technology: DLP
This unit also have some 3D capability which apparently the more expensive unties do not have (I do not understand very well).
My plan is to use the projector in living room with a small screen up to 50” or 80” (nothing very large such as 120” screen) until get a chance to renovate the basement for a home theatre experience. My question is do you think this projector (Optoma HD66) is good enough (for now and when the basement is converted) or should I purchase a better quality (more expensive projector) from beginning. The wireless capability form computer is also a plus (not critical).
Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Basically my opinion is quite simple, your PJ quality should be on par with the remainder of your gear. If you basically use mid fi gear, this might be for you but if you are already in HI Fi, you might want to consider some of better quality.

Right now, do you have a TV panel which displays 1080p? If so, you might find hard to downscale to 720p but on the other hand if this is replacing 480i (your first move in to HD) you will more likley be amazed. As an owner of an Optoma DLP 720p PJ I am very pleased.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am planning on getting one of these soon.. i currently have the HD70 (which is starting to have heat issues)

From HTR: "The HD66 is a bright little package, rated at 2500 lumens maximum. Now, the HD66 is marketed as a 720p projector, since that is the maximum resolution at which it can display 3D content. However, it has a 1280x800 DLP chip, so not only can it display native HD 720p, but it can also display computer signals in 1024x768 and 1280x800 without compression as well. It will display HD 1920x1080p/60 in compressed form."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts