Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the Remote Recording web page on Windows (which uses Microsoft Silverlight) on an old browser (Opera 12.17) for the past couple of years, and it still works there.

However, I'm in the process of bringing up Vivaldi as my browser of choice to replace the old Opera, but find that the Silverlight-based web page (https://webservices.tv.telus.net/RdvrSilverlight/RDVR.html) doesn't work on Vivaldi. Neither does it work on Google Chrome. It turns out that Silverlight is not supported on the latest browsers (including Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, although it still works on Internet Explorer.)

I looked on Telus web sites for a non-Silverlight replacement, but didn't find anything. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
It turns out that Silverlight is not supported on the latest browsers (including Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, although it still works on Internet Explorer.)
Microsoft will support Silverlight in IE11 on Windows 7, 8.1 & 10 until 2021. The only other current browser that still supports it is Firefox (until the end of this year.)

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/locale/en-us/html/installation-win-SL5.html

Microsoft announced that they were transitioning from proprietary web plug-in based delivery mechanisms (such as Flash or Silverlight) to HTML5, so any new browser such as Edge or Vivaldi likely wouldn't include Silverlight support.

Until Telus rewrites their app, there isn't much else you can do except use a browser that supports Silverlight, at least for Telus Remote Recording.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until Telus rewrites their app, there isn't much else you can do except use a browser that supports Silverlight, at least for Telus Remote Recording.
I came to that conclusion, but was hopeful that there is a better solution. Alas! :frown

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I brought this issue up with Telus like 8 months ago. Would have thought by know they would have dealt with the issue and come up with a solution. I just use IE11 that comes with Win 10 f I need to use the Optik TV app.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use IE11 To Access Silverlight Remote Recording

... I just use IE11 that comes with Win 10 f I need to use the Optik TV app.
Ditto. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
This is a common problem with Canadian BDUs and their online services. Many of them still rely on deprecated technologies such as Silverlight and Flash (which is also being removed from browsers.) They really need to get their act together. The rest of the world is moving to HTML5 for multimedia.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Silverlight is pretty much always because the Mediaroom platform they're on used to be developed by Microsoft, who was pushing Silverlight at the time. Microsoft stopped caring much about the platform years ago and eventually sold it to Ericsson, who seems to have largely let it stagnate. The Canadian BDUs using it seem to be in a tough spot as it would be a large investment to switch to another platform.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silverlight Web App for Optik TV Remote Recording

Tried to check what I have scheduled on my PVR, but got this error message instead:

"This feature is only available to clients with a PVR. For more information please call 310-MYTV (6988) in Alberta/BC..."

I called 310-MYTV, but the "on hold" wait time was 45 minutes, so I'll call them back later.

Anyone else encounter this latest issue?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I'm getting
"Unable to login. Please ensure you have registered you [sic] account with the confirmation code by clicking the 'Register Now' link."

This Silverlight web app may be done for.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I can login again, but I just get the "This feature is only available to clients with a PVR." message.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay! For the moment, at least.

I logged in this morning, didn't get the "only available to clients with a PVR" error message, and had access to my "Scheduled" and "Recorded" program listings again.

Hope this continues to be available for the foreseeable future, or better yet - hope a replacement non-Silverlight web app comes up soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was told by a source at Telus that the website and the RemoteRecord mobile app are end-of-life and are not being maintained. Both of these have stopped working for me as of a few weeks ago. Apparently a new app is in development and in the meantime the Optik Smart Remote app is all you've got aside from using the PVR directly.

The website was used by me a lot and it will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@FuzzyLogic - Thanks for the update. A replacement app is sorely needed! Neither the PVR Guide/Recording/Search facility nor te Optik Smart Remote mobile app have the functionality or ease-of-use that's truly required.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If new apps are developed by same group of people that upgraded their customer account web site we are in for a treat (NOT!). A lot of the old functionality for that new web site is still missing, and along the way they dropped features that were used to be available to customers (first webspace, than cloud, now remote Optik features).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts