Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what speeds Optik TV needs from the router? I am thinking to setup a wireless bridge to feed my Optik TV PVR. Will this work? If yes, how stable would this be?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The HD streams are only using ~5mbps but if you're going to be watching recordings on other STBs or recording multiple streams that is going to jump exponentially.

There's a reason Telus doesn't use wireless to connect STBs. If you use an Xbox with built in wifi, Optik won't launch if you aren't connected to ethernet.

You can try ethernet over power, but that's kind of expensive and very unsupported.

I haven't seen any reliable ways to even stream HD content over wifi anywhere. Saw it fail on Apple TV, PS3, Xbox, etc. Unless you have a ton of buffering...which Optik doesn't do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have one PVR in the entire house.

The issue is where the TV is setup now, Telus installed an Cat5 port in the wall down to the garage where the modem/router is installed. As such, Telus did not bother to run the signal through the coax in the house. Now, I wish to move the TV/PVR to another location, but the problem is I would:

a) have to make another Cat5 port near the new location (I am not that handy to do this, btw); OR

b) run a Cat5 cable from the existing to the new location (but this would be quite the cable run and I'm not sure I can easily hide it)

So, was thinking to use a wireless bridge (via WDS) and connect the PVR to this bridge. Would that work?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wireless will not work for Optik. If you try wireless, you will have issues. There's a reason that Telus doesn't install the boxes with wireless (it would be a much faster, cheaper install if wireless worked on Optik).

The coax is only used per individual set top box. It not like Shaw where they just connect all the coax together with a splitter and use the outlets you like. The coax not in use needs to be disconnected otherwise there will be issues with the service.

Your only options are:

a) run a new cat5 yourself to the new location
b) have Telus come out and move the box for you.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
@number84, here are a couple of other suggestions if you don't want Telus to move the PVR:

You can buy a Cat5e cable with ends attached and run it directly from the modem to the new location. That way you don't have to worry about attaching cable ends. These usually come in 25, 50 and 100 foot lengths. You may have to drill a hole in the wall behind your TV to run the cable directly into the PVR. Whether this is practical depends on you house construction and how easy it is to access. Be careful not to snag the cable ends.

If you have coax installed at the new location and it runs directly to the garage, you could use that. Regular cable splitters won't work since they don't carry the full signal range that HPNA uses. You can replace a splitter with a barrel connector if necessary. Finger tighten the connections, then an eighth turn with a wrench. You may experience signal problems in the new location if the cable and cable-connectors aren't in good shape and the connections aren't snug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have tried the wireless bridge method and it will not work. You will get your previews perfectly fine and watch for about 20 seconds but it won't maintain enough strength for it to continue streaming.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Thanks for sharing your experience. This saves me the hassle of buying (and eventually returning) a WDS router.

I will now look into seeing how I can wire the Cat5 myself or call Telus to see how much they will charge to come out and do it for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just an update for those interested...i never got around to doing the rewiring myself, but called Telus and they said they'd come out and do the move/install new port for free...so i'm happy and my wife is even happier that i'm not drilling holes myself. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
The reason why your wireless bridge was only able to stream 20s likely wasn't a wireless issue but because you're wireless bridge hardware didn't support multicast traffic. The first 20s of a channel is unicast, then it switches to a multicast stream.

Wireless can work but it will likely give you trouble, especially over HD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Powerline works but if there's ever an issue with it, it's your problem. If a tech comes to check a problem and Powerline is the problem then you could be billed for the visit.

I've only seen it used once with one STB and it worked flawlessly for the few minutes I was there for after getting it going. Setup was painless.

However, the customer had three more STBs he was adding on Powerline but didn't have the hardware for other STBs so we just registered them all on one connection and he was going to connect the rest after - no idea how well that went.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Powerline works but if there's ever an issue with it, it's your problem. If a tech comes to check a problem and Powerline is the problem then you could be billed for the visit.

I've only seen it used once with one STB and it worked flawlessly for the few minutes I was there for after getting it going. Setup was painless.

However, the customer had three more STBs he was adding on Powerline but didn't have the hardware for other STBs so we just registered them all on one connection and he was going to connect the rest after - no idea how well that went.
Why would a Telus installer install Optik with unsupported powerline adapters? Why would the customer have to pay for a visit to resolve issues if a Telus installer installed the service incorrectly?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why would a Telus installer install Optik with unsupported powerline adapters? Why would the customer have to pay for a visit to resolve issues if a Telus installer installed the service incorrectly?
It's a really fringe case that I only ran into one time. It seems as though houses built in the 90s generally don't have a lot of wiring in them, the guy wanted 5 STBs but only had coax running to two locations but also didn't want wire running everywhere.

He was going to use 4 Xboxes and figured he could do it wirelessly but that won't work at all so he wanted to use ethernet over power. I can set it up that way if the customer really wants but from the outset know that it isn't supported and might not work great.

·
Banned
48 Posts
I have one of my boxes on wireless right now working good. Granted everything is pretty ideal:

I have a Dlink DIR-825 Running as an access point 5.8Ghz connected Gigabit to my main switch.
Then a Netgear 5.8Ghz Bridge connected to the STB and there is only about 30 feet and 1 wall separating the Client from Access point. I tested the throughput at a steady 11MByte per second only limited by the silly 10/100 port on the netgear bridge(Why Netgear put a 10/100 port on a Wireles N device i don't know).

In Any case in these ideal conditions wireless works fine but like Shooter said you will have problems in most wireless configurations.

I would suspect in most cases the Powerline adapters will perform flawlessly however.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wireless was tested internally a long time ago, possibly pre-Minerva and it generally seemed to work OK in what I saw of it but I guess not good enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well looks like we have alternatives - be it wireless bridge (if setup correctly and conditions warrant) or Powerline ethernet. I will not hesitate to try these out in the future.

Even though the telus tech did come out and install another ethernet line for me, it wasn't without some sketchy moments. He wasn't very experienced in this stuff and I ended up with an additional hole in the wall (covered with blank coverplate now) and frightening moments that he would miss the wall while drilling and come up through the hardwood floors! But all is good now. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts