Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you guys can help because tech support over the phone hasn't helped. I'm new to Optik TV and what happens is that sometimes the Optik TV works fine, I can turn it on, watch, turn if off, no problems. However, about once every 2-3 days I will turn it on, ensure the TV and receiver are on the correct inputs, and will see "no signal" displayed on my TV. The Optik box is on, hard drive spinning, etc, but no picture. To fix this, I need to pull the power to the Optik PVR STB (CIS430), plug it in again, and then wait 5 minutes for the box to initialize, and then everything is fine again. Does anyone have any idea why it does this and how I can fix it? I never had issues with Shaw and my Motorola HDPVR. The physical connections are as follows: coax from actiontech to PVR, HDMI cable from PVR to receiver, HDMI cable from receiver to TV. All HDMI cables are spec 1.3c, and are the same cables I used for my shaw setup so I know they work.

TIA

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What has Telus support suggested was the problem? Are they investigating? Have they given you any possible ways to re mediate the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had me follow these instructions (copied and pasted from the chat log). Performing this did not fix the problem.

In some circumstances where other troubleshooting steps fail to fix the problem with your TELUS TV set-top-box, there is a way to reset your set-top-box. This process is called a "Soft (DRA) reboot". This process will reset the set-top-box back to its factory settings. If this set-top-box is a PVR (personal video recorder), doing this should NOT affect any pre-recorded programs or content on it. It is a thorough reset process that will take between 20 - 40 minutes for the software to reload back onto your set-top-box. To perform this soft (DRA) reboot process, please do the following: 1) Pull your set-top-box out so that you can see the connections on the back of it. 2) Unplug the power (small black round connection) so that all of the lights on the set-top-box go off. 3) Locate the wire that is connected to either the "NETWORK" or "TO WALL (VIDEO IN)" port and unplug it from the back of the set-top-box. 4) With the connection to the wall or your modem disconnected, plug the power (small black round connection) back in. The set-top-box will begin a boot up routine and start an initialization process. After about a minute of trying to initialize, the set-top-box should produce an error, saying something to the effect "initialization failure". 5) You will need to unplug the power for the set-top-box and repeat step 4 so the set-top-box reboots 2 more times (for a total of 3). 6) On the 4th reboot, reconnect the wire that connects to either the "NETWORK" or "TO WALL (VIDEO IN)" port again before you connect the power (small black round connection) this time. 7) If done properly, on your TV screen you should see a grey single gear. In a moment, the screen should advance to display 2 gears and a loading bar near the bottom of the screen. This indicates that your set-top-box is re-downloading the software necessary to perform the reboot. This stage will take quite a while to complete (approximately 30 minutes). Once that is done, you should see a screen with 3 dots which means the software is installed and your set-top-box is finalizing the settings and initializing. Once it is complete, that should solve your problem.

They also told me to use a component cable instead of an HDMI cable, and when I asked why, he answered "because that's what I was trained to say". I know my HDMI cables are good since I've used them for about 2 years now, and I have tried swapping those out with other HDMI cables and that didn't work either.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There have been some people who have had issues with HDMI, I have an issue when using HDMI with my receiver where I occasionally lose audio on the non-HD channels and I have to power my audio receiver off and on to get it back. I'd suggest you try component for a period of time and see if the problem goes away, at least you isolate it to the HDMI connection as opposed to a problem with the box.

Your HDMI cables and equipment could be fine, but there could be some compatibility issues.

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Component cables should fix your problem permanently.

HDMI is a 2-way protocol and there can be compatibility issues between 2 specific models of equipment. You have 3 pieces of equipment. Sometimes equipment has to be powered on in a specific sequence for everything to work properly. The Optik PVR is never off (when you turn the power off, the unit goes into standby mode and displays a screensaver video signal).

I would try changing inputs on your receiver when you have the problem.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So Dr. Dave, this is a hdmi handshaking issue?

·
Banned
548 Posts
Its not HDMI if you see the STB's "signal lost" message. If its an HDMI issue you see nothing, just a black screen with the "no signal" message that your TV uses, not the "signal lost" message presented by the STB. The difference should be that a STB will report "signal lost" whereas the TV will report "no signal".

If it is "signal lost" from the STB and not "no signal" from the TV, then this sounds like a data throughput issue to the STB IMO. The STB puts up that 'signal lost' message when it loses sync, or has too many errors but maintains sync. STBs will show sync on as little as 2.5 mbps service, they may even try to show video, but it will be really chunky and won't be watchable. HD won't work at those rates at all.

If your STB is coax fed its very nearly certain that issues with the coax network in your home are causing this. OptikTV can use the coax in your home for distribution, but its not used in the same way as Shaw or satellite. They send RF through the cable (captive radio signal), but TELUS is IPTV so it uses the coax as a data network (HPNA) so there are installation considerations that are extremely important for reliable service. This is why you can fix the STB in the short term by powercycling it. Rebooting it is clearing out all the errors that it has received and setting it on a fresh course, one that unfortunately will still result in the same outcome given the passage of time. If your STBs are CAT5 fed it's probably a hardware issue. This is less common, but not unheard of.

Coax issues that affect OptikTV include,
- crimped on coax connectors (they MUST be compression type, no other type is correct), the ones behind the jacks are often missed

- bad or worn out old coax barrels (the barrels in the jacks and any others should be replaced with new on installation)

- loose connections (all OptikTV coax connections from the modem to the STB must be finger tight, then an 1/8 of a turn with a 7/16 wrench, including splitters and barrels where used, this does not include the coax connections from the STB to the TV if any, do not tighten these with a wrench, TV damage could occur!)

- old or damaged coax connection cables (the cables from the wall to the STB should always be made up new to ensure they aren't previously damaged)

- improper splitters used or too many splitters used (OptikTV must use only the "Holland" type of HPNA splitter, the ones used by Shaw or put in by homeowners are not acceptable, they are not intended for HPNA, there can also be no more than TWO splitters used in the entire installation.

You need a tech, this can't be TS over the phone and its not the customers job to try to convince the CSR to send help. Phone back and ask for a tech, or PM me and I will have a tech visit put in for you.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Wiremonkey for the response...very good info!

Maybe I need to clarify.. the message on the TV that I'm seeing is the "No signal" from the TV, not the signal lost from the PVR. I'll try some component cables and report back. I will only need to run component cables from the PVR to the receiver though right? HDMI should still be fine from the receiver to the TV? Also, should I try running Cat5e to the PVR instead of Coax? I have access to both at my receiver.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
548 Posts
ryan9939 when this happens have you tried unplugging the HDMI from behind the STB and then plugging it back in? Its strange that you have to totally reboot the STB to resolve this. I can't see why just powercycling, just turning the STB off and back on (after 20 second delay) wouldn't re-establish the handshake as opposed to a full reboot. Perhaps I'm missing something.

As DrDave mentioned I think the 3 way handshake is the probable culprit here. Handshake issues are the reason TELUS doesn't support HDMI, but thats kind of moot now with 3D since TELUS offers 3D content and I think 3D has to be HDMI (please correct me if I'm wrong). HDMI is generally trouble free, with the exception of handshake issues. For those as DrDave said component is the best fix.

I have my STB (330) connected to a Denon then the Denon is connected to a Bravia. Occasionally I get a handshake issue when I turn on the system. The picture is very dark and red dominant, as well as sqashed into the left 1/2 of the screen. I use a Harmony One remote and when this happens I press the help button, I can see the receiver reset its video input and the problem is solved. Do you know of a way to get your reciever to reset its video input?

Before you tear everything apart you could try just a 3 cable RCA type "composite" connection (red, white, yellow RCAs) direct from the STB to the TV, just to verify the STB is linked and working correctly. Many TVs have a composite connection on the side, which is easier to get to if your TV is wall mounted.

If you verify or know everthing is working with that STB then I would recommend feeding the audio to your receiver on an optical cable, this will preserve the 5.1 support and your surround. Feed the TV directly from the STB by the component. There's really no reason to switch the video through the receiver is there?

Many receivers won't allow a component input to be output on HDMI. Yours may, but if this is a HDMI issue you'll need to take HDMI out of the picture altogether for now. The current configuration is HDMI from your STB to your receiver and then on to the TV if I understand this correctly, and its not working.

If you go component/TOSLink (optical), you still get 720p or 1080i and 5.1. Since the A/V feed is not HDMI there are no handshake issues.

Once you get everything working you can consider alternative solutions, such as using the optical to feed the audio to the receiver and using HDMI directly to the TV for video only. Sometimes removing a component from the HDMI chain will have better results when handshake issues are a problem. Depending on your equipment there could be a number of alternate configurations you could try. For instance if you have an optical output on your TV you could try feeding it directly from the STB with HDMI then back feed the audio by optical to your receiver, again you get 5.1 audio and this time HDMI to your TV, but using no threeway handshakes.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get this HDMI handshake problem once in a while. Simple fix is just to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back it. Works for me every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try removing the HDMI cable and plugging it back in next time this happens. I have tried turning the PVR off and back on again, but this didn't solve my no signal error. The reason I'm using HDMI from the PVR to the Receiver and to the TV is because I also have a PS3 and XBOX360 hooked up by HDMI to the receiver and it's a really simplified solution. Like you, I also have a harmony one remote, and have used the help feature to get it to reset the inputs on the TV and Receiver, but that was a no go.

Is there a preference (that you know of) as to the order in which the Harmony remote turns devices on/off that may fix this?

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Welcome back Wiremonkey. I think you've covered it pretty well.

My guess is there is an HDMI handshake issue between the PVR and the receiver. The receiver doesn't pass anything through to the TV, so the TV just displays it's "No signal" message. That's why I suggested to try changing the input on the receiver to something else and back to the PVR. Hopefully that would force the receiver to renegotiate the HDMI connection. You could also try powering the receiver off and back on to see if that renegotiates the HDMI connection successfully.

As I said earlier, the PVR is never off. When you press the power off button on the PVR, it goes into standby and displays a screensaver video signal. It may be possible to force the HDMI renegotiation process by changing the channel from HD to an SD one. You'll have to do this "blind" since you don't have a TV signal. I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try if fiddling with the receiver doesn't help.

As I was typing this I noticed your post about the Harmony. I would try turning on the PVR, then the receiver and finally the TV. You can experiment with the physical buttons on the devices to see which sequence works best and program that into the Harmony. You may need a pause before turning on the TV.

If you can't get the HDMI connection to work, it should be simple to set up to the Harmony to switch the TV to the component input and turn on the receiver when you want to watch TV. Component direct to TV and optical to receiver.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I'd try the component first. If that works then try connecting the TV directly to the STB with a HDMI and see if turning it on and off for a few cycles works or doesn't. Remember there is a 20 second power cycle delay now on all STBs.

If this doesn't work and the handshake fails with the STB connected directly to your TV then its probably component that is your best solution.

I bet it will work though. Its probably the 3 way handshake thats not working out.

I think DrDaves method for determining power on order makes the most sense. Then once you've found out the best order try reloading your Harmony with that macro to see if it works out better.

I have mine set up so the receiver comes on last and is off first to avoid any audio pops. Thats is probably the source of my handshake issue, but since the Harmony help button fixes it when it happens I'll leave mine the way it is. I still want to avoid audio pops on power up or down and the Harmony's help button doesn't cause any noise spikes.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for all your thorough answers. When I encountered the issue over the weeked, I tried removing and re-inserting the HDMI cable back into the PVR, and that ended up working, and bringing the display up right away! Right now my power-on order is TV, receiver, and then PVR so when I get some time, I will try changing this power on order to see if I can resolve the issue permanently.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
44 Posts
For what it's worth my cousin is on Shaw and has a Motorola PVR using component cables. We swapped the component cables for an HDMI cable and he started getting video and audio dropouts every couple of days. So we switched back to the component cables and the dropouts stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Telus Optik TV "signal has been lost" help!

yesterday night it just said "Televison signal has been lost" for every channel.

"Its not HDMI if you see the STB's "signal lost" message. If its an HDMI issue you see nothing, just a black screen with the "no signal" message that your TV uses, not the "signal lost" message presented by the STB. The difference should be that a STB will report "signal lost" whereas the TV will report "no signal".

If it is "signal lost" from the STB and not "no signal" from the TV, then this sounds like a data throughput issue to the STB IMO. The STB puts up that 'signal lost' message when it loses sync, or has too many errors but maintains sync. STBs will show sync on as little as 2.5 mbps service, they may even try to show video, but it will be really chunky and won't be watchable. HD won't work at those rates at all.

If your STB is coax fed its very nearly certain that issues with the coax network in your home are causing this. OptikTV can use the coax in your home for distribution, but its not used in the same way as Shaw or satellite. They send RF through the cable (captive radio signal), but TELUS is IPTV so it uses the coax as a data network (HPNA) so there are installation considerations that are extremely important for reliable service. This is why you can fix the STB in the short term by powercycling it. Rebooting it is clearing out all the errors that it has received and setting it on a fresh course, one that unfortunately will still result in the same outcome given the passage of time. If your STBs are CAT5 fed it's probably a hardware issue. This is less common, but not unheard of.

Coax issues that affect OptikTV include,
- crimped on coax connectors (they MUST be compression type, no other type is correct), the ones behind the jacks are often missed

- bad or worn out old coax barrels (the barrels in the jacks and any others should be replaced with new on installation)

- loose connections (all OptikTV coax connections from the modem to the STB must be finger tight, then an 1/8 of a turn with a 7/16 wrench, including splitters and barrels where used, this does not include the coax connections from the STB to the TV if any, do not tighten these with a wrench, TV damage could occur!)

- old or damaged coax connection cables (the cables from the wall to the STB should always be made up new to ensure they aren't previously damaged)

- improper splitters used or too many splitters used (OptikTV must use only the "Holland" type of HPNA splitter, the ones used by Shaw or put in by homeowners are not acceptable, they are not intended for HPNA, there can also be no more than TWO splitters used in the entire installation."

This guy seems to have the answer, but can someone simplify on how to do this or even help me with another way? I'm not tech savvy at all. I do not know what coax network or even what jacks are!

TIA

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
@DerangedHermit, it sounds like the message was generated by your TV. Try unplugging the cable the connects the TV to your Set-top-box at both ends and plugging it back in. That solved the original problem.

If that doesn't work, more info would be helpful.
- The type of cable connecting the TV to the STB
- The make and model of your TV
- Do the other TVs in your home work (if you have more that one)
- How long your installation has been working

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Dr.Dave

We live in a basement, and I asked the upstairs people and their tv works fine. (they have telus too).

I went on menu and pressed the restart system button, and now its stuck on "Your TELUS TV Digital set top box is initializing, this will only take a moment. Its been stuck on that for 20 minutes.

My tv is a sears (not sure what model)

I dont know the names of the wires, sorry D:

I'm only 14

I'll unplug and replug the wire as you said, and tell you if it solves anything

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
@DerangedHermit, you are seeing a message from the STB so the problems is not the connection between the TV and the STB.

It seems the problem is the connection between the STB and the Telus modem. I assumw nothing has changed that affects the wiring. In that case, the person who is responsible for the account should contact Telus for a service call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TELUS STB Handshake issue using HDMI cable

Hi there,

I have had Telus TV for about 1 year and recently experienced the hand shake issue using an HDMI cable from Telus STB to new Samsung Monitor/TV.

All my flat screens are Samsung and none of the other sets have had this loss of signal.

It happens from time to time and is very annoying. This issue doesn't occur using composite cables.

Possible solution. I purchased a Kanto 2X1 HDMI Auto Switch and so far the handshake issue has gone away. The switch is model HS21A and costs about $70.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts