Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day we switched from Shaw to Telus Optik and we noticed that tv shows are blurry compared to Shaw's. We don't have HD content in either Shaw or Telus.

The TV is a Samsung HDTV 1080p currently set to 16:9. We tried setting Telus' STB (connected through HDMI) to 4:3, Standard wide, 720p, 1080i and so far all of them are blurry. In fact, only 4:3 shows full screen while all the others causes the shows to have huge "margins" on the left and right side. I expected at least 720p to work but it doesn't.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Sorry if I'm using possibly vague or wrong terms, I'm not very good when it comes to A/V equipment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you don't have HD, 720p or 1080i won't work as they are HD settings. I suggest that if you invested on a HDTV why not get HD service. It's a huge improvement. All we watch is HD unless my kids watch the kids SD channels. I agree though Telus SD material is slightly more blurry than shaw's analog service but the same in shaw digital SD service. Don't ask me why but a lot of people have noticed that aswell. It also depends on what kind of HDTV you have and size. The larger the tv, the blurrier you will see SD. HD always looks awesome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
he has an hd tv...

I would suggest you set the receiver to 720p

you can change aspect ratios by pressing the enter(options) button at the bottum of the remote. (my suggestion is to leave it on stretch, optik handles this MUCH better than bell does (where i had to keep on switching back and forth))

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If it that recent an installation, why not get Telus back to correct it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You say that you don't have HD content with your Optik TV but even the basic Optik TV package includes HD channels for CTV, CBC, Global, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW. The HD channels are in the 600's

·
Registered
47 Posts
check the settings on your tv.. are you using a stretch or zoom mode of some kind? having 4:3 fill your whole screen seems a little strange to me.. see if you can find a pixel by pixel or tru mode or something of the like.. it's not going to clear up a bad picture but it will give you a representation of the correct aspect ratio coming from the stb and you can work from there.

·
Super Moderator
56,526 Posts
Please also see the following post on Black Bars.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089

The following post on WS stretch modes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

And the following post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

SD channels should be 4:3 (with black bars on a 16:9 TV), unless you stretch them, which will cause them to be less clear and distorted. True HD programming should fill the 16:9 screen properly, with a logo usually appearing at the bottom right. Any stretching of SD or HD material will cause distortion and poorer PQ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know he has an hdtv,toosmooth but he said he didn't have hd content. But as beekas said the basic package does include hd so yes he must have it and doesn't know it. Check channels on 600's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts