Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
My reasons for switching this past spring:

1. 6 service calls for poor Shaw home phone over 3 years, 3 replaced cable phone boxes, frequent dead phone, and finally 1 full week without home service. I dumped Shaw TV and internet too.

2. One PVR for the whole house and remote recording from my Android phone and the internet. Wow, what great features.

3. Telus gave us a free HDPVR and a free HD box, and reduced cable, phone & internet rates for 6 months.

Finally, Shaw offered nothing to keep us and tried to charge us $150 for the NEXT month's services even though their phone didn't work for a full week. We canceled and didn't pay it. They dropped the charges.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. Cost; saved a bundle and shaw was not willing to negotiate anything until after a had switched

2. PVR anywhere, big plus

·
Registered
57 Posts
I go to Telus at the end of September. When I 1rst started talking to Shaw I was 90% sure of staying. That was a month ago.
Why I switched:
1) cost- I will save over $500 over the course of a year. The comparable packages with tv, internet,phone work out to approx. $1700+ to over $2300 for a year.
2) PVR- as I began to look at the PVR's I liked the features of Telus PVR over Shaw's Gateway. I also do not have to purchase it- discounted rental. With Gateway you have to buy it. Cost $599 and I believe $250 other portals that work with it. Telus $249 and $149 if you want to purchase. Actually I was in Futureshop. Both on sale- Gateway $419 Telus $149 PVR and was offered Telus portal at $129.
3) Service- When I talked with Telus- they were quick to resond. On 3 occasions contact was instant. The 4th time on chat I waited just over 30 minutes. I had a que showing I was 5th then 4th etc. With Shaw the shortest was over an hour. Once through Telus was very good answering all my questions. Once through to Shaw they were on a script it seemed to tell me no deals, and Telus is inferior.
4) Contract- It's ironic in that Shaw points out they do not have contracts and it was a legit concern for me. I decided on a 1 year TV contract with no contract for the net or phone. Gives me a chance to see without long term pain. I got several perks including $50 credit just to change my phone number. With Shaw in order to have their Gateway service I have to buy the Gateway at $599 over 3 years or $419 plus 2nd box. My 2 old Motorolas are outdated and one is failing.
In the end the choice was easy. I think it will be good. Proof will be in the pudding. 90% Shaw to Telus. I feel somewhat pushed but happy I had to take a closer look. Shaw did in the end offer 2 free theme packs to me for 6 months by a senior customer relations guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how Telus does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have left Shaw after 20+ years for a couple of reasons.
1) I was looking into the amount of HD available, Telus offers more of what I'm interested in. (I've got clse to 50 HD channels, Shaw was 35-39)
2) Price. As is the case for most people I want to reduce the amount I'm spending every month, with Shaw no matter how i sliced it it was going to be approx $135 without reducing the channels I wanted, Telus I got more for $77 - 6 mos, $122 after, no contract.
3) hardware options and affordability. with Shaw it was going to be close to $800 to have the total home package to view on 3 tv's, telus - $300 (Telus is providing 1 HD box/no cost), not mention I can replace one of the HD boxes with an Xbox if I want.

Yah sure with Shaw I'd be upgrading to 50mb down, but currently I'm fine with the 25mb down, and Telus dl speed is just the same as Shaw. I was a little worried about VPN into the office but there is no issue.

It was a big decision for me to switch, I had heard nothing good about the Telus TV, but that was before it was Optik. I have no complaints with Optik, the kids have adapted and so has the wife.

Funny I took my Shaw equipment back today and of the 10 people in line 8 of us were returning equip, and those in line that were chatting, all they were talking about is the brutal wait times at the call centres.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why I Switched to Optik

I always didn't like Shaw's attitude, so I went without TV for awhile after being forced to give my my Expressvu Dish in a move. I was also using CIA as my Internet provider which was fine when it worked, but when it did not work, getting support was next to impossible.

For a few days my Internet was out, and then I was unable to get support, and when I finally got ahold of someone days later they gave me such the runaround, that I cancelled right there and then and switched to Shaw for my Internet.

I was with Shaw Internet for awhile and then I was offered a TV package and what I believed to be a good price, but when the installer arrived, he asked for a blank check for automatic billing. I never agreed to this and after speaking to a CSR, I cancelled the installation.

It was then that a spoke to someone from Telus TV, and they offered me, an excellent price for TV and Internet, as well a free PVR. Telus has always treated me like a customer that wants my business and not a corporation that we are forced to deal with.

Over the years the service has gotten better and better with the introduction of Media Room, the addition of more channels, and increasing of the bandwidth cap to double what I originally signed up for with only a small increase in price.

Bottom Line, I find Optik far superior to Shaw in every way. I cannot see myself ever going back to Shaw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me it was cost. Telus has much cheaper HDPVR available. It gets even cheaper at times when they are on sell.

Also I heard the internet bandwidth is unlimited if one uses both Optik TV and internet. Not sure about this though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I changed from Shaw because if I was a few days late in payment they would cut off all services. Happened more than a few times before I finally moved on. Glad I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We switched from Bell TV solely because of the South Asian channels that are available on Telus. They have a Desi Mega Pack with 14 Hindi channels, which is significantly more than any other provider in Western Canada.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just Switched today.

A friend recommended Optik (both Internet and TV) after using it for 8 months with no outages. She did the Telus Referral, and today "Marilyn" phoned me from the Telus Prince George office. (The referral email said they would phone).

I was well prepared for the call having done research both here and on Telus.com. I was very happy that she didn't try any pressure sales and offered me BOTH the PVR and 1 STB as free rentals for the 36 month term. (The website only offers 2 STB OR 1 PVR.)

She confirmed that my address was the 3HD, 1SD profile.

The channels that I want I couldn't get with either the Medium or Large Combo and she ran the numbers post-6 month discount period, and it made more sense to get the 9 theme pack "Your Pick HD" rather than the 7 theme packs I needed to get for the channels I want. I won't be recording any HD streams, since I don't want to fill up the 320gb hard drive, but I'll certainly watch some HD live, with all the channels available from the "Your Pick HD" package.

The free HP G6 AMD with A6-3400M Quad-Core Processor Notebook was certainly an incentive (although I would have preferred the G6 with the Intel Processor).

As to why I left Shaw after 20 years, it was the loss of upper tier analog channels limiting how many recordings I'll be able to do at one time, since I only have the DCT700 digital box and used an analog split to record more than one.

I looked into other options with Shaw first here http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1329668#post1329668
but have decided Optik currently has the edge over Gateway which is really just a big beta test right now.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts