Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Telus might not upgrade your service due to the equipment installed at the DSLAM. I'm on a 2HD/1SD profile but can't get the upgrade because I'm on a Nokia DSLAM. Aparently Telus is only upgrading on their Acatel DSLAM's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, so the 25 mbps option is now selectable (was greyed out before) at my address, I do not feel the need for 25 mbps internet but if I select 15 mbps, will i still get multiple HD streams?

·
Registered
43 Posts
They will put you on the highest possible bandwidth if its available.

So you should get 3hd/1sd if it says that 25meg internet is available at your house.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is true you will get the highest speed possible available for TV streams, however the standard package caps internet at 15Mb, there is an extra charge for the 25 Mb internet speed. In my house I have 6 people and 5 set top boxes, my internet speed drops below 15Mb after the 3rd HD stream, which is most of the time. Except the middle of the night. So paying for the 25Mb didn't make senses for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Optik Speeds

I'm confused since I see several people here referring to a Telus speeds of 25Mbps.

I haven't seen any documentation on the Telus site that would indicate that they have anything faster than 15Mbps, and in the case of Optik TV 2HD/1SD streams.

Is this a special thing only available to certain users of the system? Judging by the discussion here it sounds like it's something that you have phone and specifically ask for?

I have Telus High Speed Turbo now @ 15Mbps, and I've never seen anything faster than that available...I'd jump at it if it was actually available, and perhaps go for the TV as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
You need fiber optic to home to get those speeds. I think internet is capped at 15 Mbps but even with 3 HD and 1 SD stream, you won't see any performance degradation. See the new VDSl/ADSL thread.

·
Super Moderator
18,247 Posts
@coolin, you can get 25 Mbps if you have Ethernet-to-the-suite (ETTS) or VDSL. Telus just started rolling out VDSL, so it's not widely available yet, which is probably why it's not being advertised.

The standard speed with Optik TV is a max of 15 Mbps; there is an extra charge for 25 Mbps if it is available.

If you check the Telus site for Optik TV availability and get 3 HD, then you are eligible for VDSL and 25 Mbps. I don't know if Telus sells 25 Mbps VDSL without Optik TV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds as if I'm going to have to give Telus a call. Find out if the VDSL, 25Mbps is available. I've never asked before, but I doubt it's in my area yet.

Regardless, I will be signing up for Optik TV, seeing as I only have 2 TVs in the house anyways the speed probably won't affect me that much. I hope.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your upload is at 1mb under vdsl because the 3hd profile has an upload connection of 3megs.

Your capped at 1mb so it only goes to that. 25meg has a higher upload cap (Finally).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm on 1HD/2SD service, which nobody bothered to mention when I ordered the service, I thought I was getting 2HD/1SD service, but that's another story...
I've called a few times to ask for an upgrade but they say it's not available in my area. I called again today to ask for the 25meg internet service (which would cost me more) thinking that the potential for them to make more money off me might encourage them to put me on a list or something so I can get the higher speed, but no joy. No list, no eta, no nothing.

I'm very disappointed that I do not have the service I thought I was going to be getting, and that I have to pay as much as someone else who's getting 3HD/1SD service. Quite unfair, really.

Anyway, my question is if there's any way to "push this along" to somehow find out how long it will be (if ever) before there is a higher-speed service in my area, or get my self on a waiting list so they know that someone wants this service?

Thanks!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts