Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Long time lerker, first time poster

I was just live chatting with a telus rep and I asked how many HD streams I would get, she did not ask for any info and told me 1HD 2SD. That means I would be getting the slowest speed right? She said this applies for everyone.

I told her that I know some people get 2HD 1SD, when will BC get that. She said "that information is not available" :eek:

What my question is, I am moving to richmond BC (10 minutes from vancouver)

Does which feeds did you guys who live around here (please indicate where) get?
1HD 2 SD
2HD 1SD
3HD

also, say I sign up with the 1HD available, do you think they would be able to upgrade it in a timely manner?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would just call back and get someone on that phone that knows what their talking about. Its pretty hit and miss with telus agents, most agents ive talked to have no clue about much at all. You will get through to someone decent if you keep trying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can get 2 HD streams I would sign on (thats what I use right now with bell expressVu)

but 1 HD stream is pathetic...

I guess ill need to call in or go to a store. I have until mid september anyway.

·
Registered
241 Posts
DSL speed drops off quickly as you get away from the port, so the availability of profiles changes every block. Upgrades from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 will improve speeds, but there's no way for a rep to know when that's going to happen. This rep was wrong about the number of streams, some people have 3HD+1SD+25 megs HSIA.

You can check telus.com/tv, but some people here have reported that the number isn't accurate. I would just phone in and get another rep. I can also look up a phone number or address.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 3HD 1SD with 15M internet, it was just installed 2 weeks back, I am a employee so I do know I am on VDSL2. I did speed checks the other day and found my Internet speed didn't drop below 15M until connected the the 3rd HD stream and even then only to 14.5M. But Keep in mind I'm only about 2.5 blocks from the DSLAM/sac box (the big green box on the corner), and VDSL2 speeds drop of dramatically after about 800m. The only way for the rep to accurately tell you what is available to you is to give the address of you home.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Slimpack....
Is there a way to tell if you have 3hd and 1sd....cause I upgraded as well and cannot tell much difference if any at all. Maybe like 1mb/s difference. I am watching 1 hd and 1 sd and barely get over 10mb/s...does it say on the cisco box somewhere? Under menu, then settings, then general, the system info, then system resources, it says that I have 2hd and 1sd...is that what yours says too? thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
The easiest way to tell is just to try and record 4 SD shows at once. That will tell you if you have 4 feeds. 3HD+1SD is the only profile that has 4 feeds total.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Of course when you attempt to record 4 shows at once, be certain that no other set top boxes in the house are turned on. Turning off other TV's but leaving any other STB's turned on means that the other box is still using one of the streams.

·
Registered
68 Posts
schizz
To check go to - Menu, Settings, General, System Info, System resources
The top line will tell you what you system is set for. The 15M internet is what your Max is with no set tops turned on. Depending on how close you are to the DSLAM will determine how much band width you have available above that for TV, so just having one HD stream could effect your internet speed. I'm lucky to be so close that it dosn't effect mine much, but people 4-5 blocks further would be a differnet story.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys...still a little confused because I have read somewhere that you could only record 2hd and 1 sd even though u have 3hd....but from what people are saying you can record up to 4 sd channels at one time. Slim...what does your system resources say? does it actually say 1sd/3hd on the top line? Mine says two but I thought it might say that because only my second box can utilize the 3rd hd channel (am I right in saying that?) Thanks again

- i should note that I have a renter using the 2nd box so I would have to tell them to turn off the tv if I were to know for sure using the 4 sd recording method.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My main STB PVR shows 1SD/3HD (WAN);2SD/2HD (DEV)

This means on my whole system in my house I can stream up to 4 streams as long as there is no more than 3 HD and the PVR can have no more than 2 HD streams. Therefor if I'm recording 2 HD shows I can only watch SD on the PVR but another STB in my house could watch HD, or I could watch and record any combination of 2 HD and 2 SD on the PVR.
I hope this makes some sences

·
Registered
57 Posts
yup...makes perfect sense. I guess mine hasn't been upgraded then. They told me it was going to be within 24 hours but I couldn't tell any different. I will have to call back. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well...
I have finally been upgraded to 3hd and 1 sd. The installer called me and told me my modem had a top speed of 32 mb/s...much higher than expected. I tested it by recording 4 sd channels at the same time and it worked. With Speedtest I only got about 12.5 mb/s with no tv on but I also got that same speed with 2 hd on so I am not sure why it didn't hit 15 because it used to. I live in red deer and I did find it made a difference what server I was using. Before if I used calgary's server I maxed out at 9mb/s but when I switched to edmonton's server I could get 15mb/s. Now both get about 12.5. The really nice news is that upload speed is above 1mb/s which used to be more like 700kBps. Also my ping has gone from around 31ms to 20ms. Nice to see. My PVR box still says that I have 2hd streams and 1hd. Maybe I need to reset it?? Either way, I know that I can record 4 sd so it must be working.

Now telus employees seem to be confused by the switching process. I called in a few times to talk to telus reps to determine whether or not I could be upgraded. The first one told me that I could but would have to wait two weeks for a service tech to switch me over. No tech showed up that day....no big deal for me but I did call them to talk to another rep who told me that no tech was needed to upgrade. He said he switched my to 3hd1sd and I would see the results in 24 hours. Didn't happen for whatever reason. I called back later on and was told by a 3rd rep that they could not change me over because they initially put my on a 19.2mb profile and their system wasn't allowed to change and that I would have to wait 6 months before most, if not all people were upgraded. I talked to retentions and they gave me a free month plus 50$ courtesy credit for good will. The next day my internet and tv went down and so I called in and apparently someone tried to switch me over to 3hd and 1sd without a tech finishing the process so they temporarily put me back on 2 hd and 1sd and told me that on the 10th (today) they would come switch me over. Then today comes and after a few hours of no tv and internet I finally got a phone call from the rep telling me everything should be back to normal. Got home and indeed it seems that things are well and internet and tv speeds are upgraded. Little bit of a process but will be well worth it. Although telus reps seem a bit misinformed they did a great job of working with me and even compensating me in ways that other providers just haven't done for me in the past. I guess the moral of the story is to call back a few times and make sure you aren't able to upgrade because there seems to be a bit of confusion among telus reps. Hopefully they figure it out soon so that not all people need to go through what I did to increase feeds and internet speed. sorry about the length...just thought some people might want to know that you might be eligible to upgrade. thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry..quick update...I put on my second stb on a hd channel and had two hd recording while watching a sd (total 3hd and 1sd) and my internet speed tests didn't move at all...12.5 mb/s no matter what and over 1mb/s upload with a ping of 19.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@schizz
Am I to understand that all you had to do was call Telus to get updated from 1HD/2SD to 3HD/1SD? I thought the process was much more complicated and involved DSLAM's and your whole neighbourhood.

I'm considering switching all my services from Shaw to Telus...but the 1HD/2SD profile available to my house really worries me as far as download speeds while watching TV compared to what I'm getting now with Shaw (last SpeedTest indicated 13Mbps).

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
17,258 Posts
@JohnnyGunn
The physical infrastructure has to be in place to enable 3HD/1SD. If you can only receive 1HD/2SD at your home, you should check the Telus web site occasionally, as Telus is in the process of upgrading the network.

Your Shaw speed test may be inflated by their Power Boost feature which gives a short burst of speed and then caps the speed based on your plan. For example, if you have the regular Shaw High-Speed, your download speed will be capped at 7.5 Mbps after the short burst.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I moved from 2hd 1 sd to 3hd 1 sd....it does take a physical change (at telus box) and a software update at telus...which got a bit confusing at times. An update on my internet speeds is that I am indeed getting 15 MB/s...i had it on the wrong setting...which is why it was reading 12.5.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Dr. Dave
@schizz

I guess I was just wondering is if Telus would upgrade the DSLAM for only 1 new customer or if they would wait for a certain number of people in an area before upgrading the hardware. Not that I'm full of myself...but it would be nice if they would upgrade the profiles just for me!! haha!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts