Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since about Sept 1, 2010 my Optik SD picture (on almost all SD channels) jitters or vibrates up and down for about half a second, and this happens as often as 3 times per minute, and as infrequently as once every 4-5 minutes. I am viewing a CRT television.
The problem has been traced back to "encoders", this after all my Telus TV hardware/cables/modem was changed out.
The two Telus techs who came out on separate occasions were very surprised and said they never saw this issue with any other customer they were aware of.
Telus credited my account for 2 months of TV and as of today, the 'trouble ticket' relating to my complaint is unresolved, and the picture jiggling continues.
Just wanted to let anyone else out there know Telus will address your concerns promptly.
As to an actual resolution, still waiting...
Vancouver

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
This sort of issue is often related to a poor connection somewhere. Often the cable from the STB to the TV - check the connections and the inputs/outputs (ports) themselves. In some instances the issue can be in one of the devices - often the TV. The TV can have switches for say input, etc that are not used very much. When they are not used, they tend to have a poor electrical connection that can cause this issue after a while.

Try switching every switch/knob you have on the TV that can affect the "path" taken by the signal a few times to see if this has any effect.

Try another device, like a DVD player connected to the TV and if possible, connect the STB temporarily to another input on the TV to see if it still happens. Which connection are you using at this time? What's the make/model of the TV and STB?

By "encoders" do you mean the one's at Telus' end? Because if that were the case, then everyone would have the issue? Does it ever happen on HD channels? It's possible that the signal for HD and SD are different enough that the HD signal makes it through the poor connection OK. Here's the "things to check" FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Telus TV

The encoders are at Telus' end. Telus freely acknowledged the issue and credited my account.
All in-home connections/permutations were explored, for instance, the DVD player picture is completely normal.
I should have mentioned, the PVR records every one of these SD picture blips, so after all the effort to correct it, Telus acknowleged that the issue was very unlikely to be with my TV or cables/STB etc.
As to why it seems to be underreported, very good question. The second tech to visit thought that customers viewing SD on an LCD screen might not notice the blurring as much as I do (as I watch a CRT TV).
I have had Telus TV for 4 years and never had an issue beyond occasional pixelization/freezing in the earlier days.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
OK, if the issues are recorded and you can play them back and the "jitters" occur at exactly the same time during the programme, then the issue is obviously not the TV or (downstream of the STB) connections.

The issue could be with your STB (or upstream connections) or at their head end. I suspect the former as issues at the head end would appear to all people and would likely have been reported here if they're serious. There are lots of people with Plasma TVs that do not "blur" like LCDs.

If you have recorded a programme and if the issue is with their encoders, then they should be able to see (and diagnose) the issue with their recordings at their end.

If you know someone who has similar equipment, you could get them to record the identical programme and compare for example if a jitter/vibration occurs at say 2 minutes 33 seconds into the programme. You may even wish to post here and have someone compare. Since it happens so often, simply post a programme, channel and time that you intend to record and see if anyone else can duplicate your problem. Are certain channels worse?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've seen issues like this with CRT's using the coax input on the TV on channel 3. You could try changing the input type to composite/SVideo or changing the output channel from channel 3 to another channel.

To me it sounds like a the TV tuner issue

I can't see this issue being cause from encoders on the Telus side otherwise EVERYONE would be complaining. I think the encoding happens to the signal as live feed comes to Telus and then gets pumped out to all the Optik customers. If it was an encoder issue, it would be a system wide issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is your wifi router by your TV? How about your cell phone?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes try moving em.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I too had the problem that you descibe and I think that I mentioned it in another thread on this forum.

It is an occasional verticle vibration of the picture that lasts for a fraction of a second. I hadn't narrowed it down to only SD or HD channels and I haven't noticed it for awhile now or maybe I've learned to ignore it now. I haven't been watching much TV for awhile now so I will have to pay more attention to see if the problem is still there or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Telus Optik SD picture aberration

SD channels affected by Telus' encoders are, for example, CNBC(99), Bloomberg(102), BNN(93), CNN(94), TSN2(109), Knowledge(5), and several others which I don't watch frequently.
The aberration is a fraction of a second up-and-down shimmering or jittering motion that disrupts the usually stable image.
Thank you for your ideas on a cause, but Telus has acknowledged the issue in Edmonton and credited my account for TV.
As to why more people aren't reporting it, it may be that the effect is less annoying when viewed on an LCD panel. On a CRT screen, such as mine, it is very noticeable.
Vancouver

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vertical jiggle

I am experiencing the same issue since Aug/2010. I can record the jiggle and play it back from any TV so it's not the TV. The tech found nothing wrong and said it was "hardly noticeable". Easy to say if you don't have to watch it 2-3 times every few minutes. Has anybody had this problem resolved yet? Is it only on SD or HD as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts