Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got an email from Telus stating you can watch select live channels using the on the go app. From what I can tell on the IOS app the only channel you can do this with is CBC News Network. Looks like all the rest have to be used within your home on a Telus WiFi network. Cool idea - too bad it is so limited

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I tried the new Optik On the Go app and I'm getting quite a few more channels than just CBC News. I also have Sportsnet, Bloomberg, CityTV, Teletoon, etc. About maybe two dozen channels so far. It's a start. I hope they plan on adding more.

I also hope they plan on adding watching recorded shows from my PVR.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So you can actually watch those channels? When i try to watch them I get a message telling me they can only be watched in my house over a Telus internet connection only. Oh an no complaints here - left Shaw 2 years ago and haven't looked back since :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I tried Teletoon and Aljezeera and they both worked well from my work. Haven't tried others, but will tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It might be that your work is on a Telus internet connection. I've just tried mine on LTE and the only channel that doesn't have the little house next to the channel (this is the indicator that shows a Telus connection is required) is CBC News.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It also happens that the two channels I mentioned don't have that little house icon so I guess my test isn't conclusive. I'll try again tomorrow from work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's still blocking rooted Android devices. But in the old version it used to explicitly tell you this and kick you out of the app immediately. Now it lets you launch and browse, and then once you try to play something it vaguely tells you this content can't be played on this device.

But one of these days there may be some respite. The author of the SuperSU app for rooted devices has stated that in the longer term, he will work to create a root solution that bars unauthorized apps from snooping into whether a device is rooted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I tried my Optik TV on my Samsung tablet.. and after some registration problems found it worked just fine.. tried a few movie clips and live TV. But.. found that live TV has a delay of some ~30 seconds over what is showing on the TV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Galaxy S3 Running KitKat

Every video with the House I select, I am told...

Sorry, this app is not available to use on this device. Please visit Telus.com/optiktvonline from your browser to access Optik on the go.

Lame Telus.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same boat here...KK is a different beast than ICS. For example, the location service has been decoupled from the OS. I suspect, but don't know, that they have to change the app to account for things like that and it is taking time to write and test.

Galaxy S3 Running KitKat

Every video with the House I select, I am told...

Sorry, this app is not available to use on this device. Please visit Telus.com/optiktvonline from your browser to access Optik on the go.

Lame Telus.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Its simply that the app is not compatible with 4.4, Telus need to redevelop it. If you search the Play store its not available if you have 4.4.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kit Kat has only been out for 75 days.

That is clearly not enough time for the future forward thinking telus and their panda bears/owls/cubs.

(Tongue and Cheek)

I really hate Canadian media companies. Everything is a long drag to mediocrity.

ESPN has had espn3/watch espn for YEARS.
MLB.tv streaming is 11 years old
TWC has streaming on the go of all subscribed channels

Telus and their competitors are all awful.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I wish the web version of Telus On The Go would also support live TV. I would love to get Sportsnet while I'm at the computer.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The ipad app doesn't show LIVE tv does it. I see the guide but I don't think it shows LIVE

·
Registered
52 Posts
The android seems to have been updated for 4.4 (Kit Kat)

But it still doesnt let me see live TV @ home or away.

Full disclosure.
Rooted, CM11 (4.4.2)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
That is awesome to get the Olympics live while I'm at work! Live CBC coverage is working well for me so far. And seeing 10 channels of it too.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The android seems to have been updated for 4.4 (Kit Kat)

But it still doesnt let me see live TV @ home or away.

Full disclosure.
Rooted, CM11 (4.4.2)
I take it you registered your account and set things up? I just tested my Nexus 7 and was able to watch Sportsnet One on my home wifi

41 - 60 of 78 Posts