Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Optik TV HD on the iPad - new app.

The new Optik app for the iPad is available in the App Store today.

If you subscribe to Superchannel, you can watch VOD in HD on the iPad, but the new Hollywood Suite of 4 Movie channels is also in there, along with some Disney channels & well, the Baby channel for all those babies who own iPads.

You need to have a Remote Recording account set up so you can log in. It only has some of the content available at this point, but the picture & sound are decent enough to watch.

Apparently they plan to have it available for various devices and everything you subscribe to available through this app eventually, but there are some legal hurdles to work out first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its pretty cool, the quality is not bad. I wonder if this will be the vehicle they use to be able to access recordings on your PVR?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a note to say the app is available for Android too. Just tried it out, and watched the first 5 minutes of In the Line of Fire without problems.

-Peter

·
Registered
178 Posts
Incredible addition. Tried to watch Elf,but it is not available ? Says I have to phone to subscribe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Posted this before, but the embedded link must have gotten it flagged. Anyways, the optik app is available online too at the telus site.

Strangely, my username/password doesn't work on that site, though it is works fine for the Android app...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I wonder if this will be the vehicle they use to be able to access recordings on your PVR?
Longer term, it would make sense or they may build it into their existing PVR app.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's a good start, but needs lots of improvement. Biggest disappointment is that my Playbook is not supported either through an app or the web interface. I'm also super disappointed that the web interface uses silverlight (for the PC) - a dead technology. My guess as to why they went with it is to appease the content producers as it can handle rights management (DRM/Licensing) better than flash or html5.

Would've been a killer app if you could watch your recordings on it - but I don't think that is technically possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CLK, actually if I am not mistaken, it is actually an advertised feature of media room, just isn't implemented with telus yet

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ideal solution would allow me to play my recorded, or live content from the PVR to any computer, tablet, or phone, using any wi-fi or connected internet connection. What is preventing this scenario? Is it technology, content rights, or fear of loosing control over the content?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I received a survey about this app from Telus and the main theme of my responses were that its a nice to have app but the content is poor and that it should allow me to watch shows I have recorded on my PVR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Further to what another has posted, this app does not work on my jailbroken iPad. The message that pops up goes something like this: "We've detected that your device's security has been compromised.... no soup for you". Well, that last part isn't really part of the message. ;)

I am disappointed to see that Telus is trying to protect me from myself.

My Android phone is rooted and the app works just fine there. Selection is still poor though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's a good start, but needs lots of improvement. Biggest disappointment is that my Playbook is not supported either through an app or the web interface. I'm also super disappointed that the web interface uses silverlight (for the PC) - a dead technology. My guess as to why they went with it is to appease the content producers as it can handle rights management (DRM/Licensing) better than flash or html5.

Would've been a killer app if you could watch your recordings on it - but I don't think that is technically possible.
With some trickery it might be possible to load the Android app on your Playbook. The means of accomplishing this are outside my expertise but potentially available with the help of the Crackberry forums. No promise it'll be compatible but worth a try. I managed to get the Amazon Kindle app to work that way on my Dad's Playbook.

I have an Android phone and a Nook Color, neither Telus devices but I look forward to seeing what I can get working on those when I get Optik set up in my apartment.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts