Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, I tried reading some related threads.

We're considering getting Optik TV, but keeping Shaw Internet.

We currently have Shaw Internet. Modem is bridged, I have my own router, and internal wired and wireless networks.
This will NOT change, as:

a) I do not want to switch from Shaw as my ISP
b) I just signed up for the 2 year 150 package

So the problem is, the Shaw modem and my router/servers/switch are in the basement. Only 1 Cat 6 from the basement to the den on the main floor, where it goes into another switch for desktop computer, wireless access point, and printer etc. and feeds a jack on the other side of the wall between den and living room where 1 wire along the floor behind the couch to the main TV.
No other way to get any more cables in. This house is a cabling nightmare, finished basement odd stairway etc.

So I'm assuming that the Telus PVR will get it's feed from Telus via their equipment in to the network port, and cannot feed other Optik digital boxes over my internal wired network.
Also assuming it has it's own wireless, which will probably feed the basement TV ok, but likely won't make it from the basement to the 2nd floor bedroom, and may not play well with my wireless.

Am I correct. And if so, Is Shaw any different (seems their portal feeds the other boxes via coax)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Although you are not planning to get Optik internet, Telus will install an Actiontec internet modem at your house to feed the Optik PVR/HD boxes because Optik TV is an IPTV service. The Actiontec modem supplies one coax cable and one Cat5 connections.

Since you have Shaw cable, there will be coax connection at all your TV locations. Is there any cat5 connection at one of your TV location? How many TVs in your house?

You should connect the PVR box from your Actiontec modem coax port. If you do not have cat5 cable to other TV locations, you can have WiFi HD boxes connecting to the Actiontec modem. Depending on the WiFi signal in your house, the installer may install a WiFi extender in your house to feed IPTV data to the WiFi HD boxes far away from Actiontec modem.

My house has 2 TVs? My installer used coax to my PVR and cat5 to my HD box. My installer does not want to install a special coax box to split the coax signal from the Actiontec modem.

I found out later that Telus is using HPNA LAN on the coax port. The signal cannot be splitted with an analog splitter used by Shaw. They need to install a HPNA LAN digital switch/router to split the digital signal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so if the Telus Actiontec connects via coax to the PVR can the PVR talk to all of the digital boxes via my LAN?

And no, I don't have Shaw cable, just Shaw Internet. Only 1 of 3 TVs has coax run to it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Optik IPTV data cannot go through Shaw internet service. You will have 2 networks in your house - one for Shaw internet service and one for Optik TV. These two networks cannot be joined.

Using WiFi HD boxes will simplify your wiring. The HD boxes will get the recorded IPTV data from the PVR and live TV program over the Actiontec network.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
I should clarify, when I say only 1 TV has coax, only 1 has coax from inside the house.
All 3 have coax from outside (old satellite install)
Re-thinking this, I may be able to replace the outside satellite switch with a splitter, park the PVR at the TV with an inside and outside feed, use the inside feed from the Actiontec to the PVR and send the PVR output thru the outside coax feeds to the other TVs.

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
Don't bother with a coax splitter - Telus supplies their own splitters that are HPNA compatible.

The PVR doesn't have an input and output coax connection since the protocol is bidirectional.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Agree. Let the installer to figure out what to supply for your installation. If you don't like the WiFi, just let the installer know. It will be easier for the installer to supply the HPNA splitters instead of running cat5 cables to the other locations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts