Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like (optical) Image Stabilization on the current crop of HD camcorders means that the price tag starts closer to the $500 mark.

How effective is it for filming little kids doing skiing, (ie skiing beside them on the green hills) or kneeboarding from a boat?

Size is a factor. The small ones are more convenient are more likely to come on a trip.

How good is the 'electronic' IS?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Hi Pete,

electronic IS on the new camcorders are decent because their video sensor is actually larger than 2MP so there is no reduced-resolution when you activate the EIS.

OIS on a smaller camcorder is also decent but with any OIS, the lesser the mass, the less effective the OIS will become.

I personally wouldn't touch any HD camcorder below $500 due to its optical quality. My rule of thumb in getting an HD camcorder:

1. get the largest lens diameter possible (to allow in more light and better OIS)
2. get the largest sensor you can afford (for MUCH better low-light performance)

I used to be a huge proponent of Canon camcorders, but the latest batch of Sony''s $1000+ camcorders (the one with manual focus dial on the bottom left corner of the lens) is better in low-light than any Canon camcorders of the same price range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts