Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEllo, I just lined up the whole Optic HD TV Telus deal. Will be installed and signed up on Jan 19.

Question: I was told optic HD tv is 1080i which is equal to the best satellite HD pic, is this true? And it runs faster then cable tv at 15mb/second?

thanks
Wayne

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Who told you all this, the Telus salesperson.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I phoned in to request Telus Satellite tv at first. After going through my packages etc.. she asked why I wanted satellite. This person sounded pretty genuine.

She said that Telus Optik TV had a little bit better quality. Nothing major, but a bit better she thought. Either way, both deals were the same and it was up to me.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
She said that Telus Optik TV had a little bit better quality. Nothing major, but a bit better she thought. Either way, both deals were the same and it was up to me.
Telus is reselling Satellite TV but they are the sellers of the IPTV service. In other words, Telus makes lots more money selling IPTV than Satellite.

Does that change your opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I got the same deal, satellite or telus optik tv, it really doesn't matter to me. I got all of the channels I wanted and then some. So it doesn't really make a difference.

Now I'll just have to see how good the service and speed is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
telus owns optik and makes all the money from it, while they share some of that profit with BELL for tstv. I cant say how much as its not my place to.

but in all honesty optik is the best tv ive seen yet, much better than TSTV. there is a caveat to that, however. if you have more than 3 tv's you should stick with cable or TSTV

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Telus truly has the best pricing and free HD's boxes. If the picture is the best that's extra bonus.!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've heard the opposite, actually. That if your a HD buff, the sat tv has a little more to offer (some people swear the hd is more clear) . I cannot see a difference except in channel selection, though. Sat tv has a little more HD content overall, and more sports. sat lists itself as 1080i and optik as 1080i HD. Both the HD streams look the same to me side by side here in the office.

However, the functionality of Optik makes it better than sat tv. The boxes are networked and you only need 1 pvr, internet up to 15 mbps, instant channel changing, caller ID integrated into the tv service, remote recordings. The quality of service is not dependant upon weather interferance. the sat pvr is only a dual tuner, while optik has 1HD/2SD minimum. Also, optik is more inexpensive than the sat tv service.

So we only sell sat if optik isn't available, or the client specifies they want sat. Of course optik is telus own product so they make more revenue from it, but the promotions are also usually better.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Telus Sat is normally 720p, there is nothing sent down at 1080i. It does however have the ability to provide 1080p, from the VOD Feature, which Optik does not.

the sat pvr is only a dual tuner, while optik has 1HD/2SD minimum
What good is 1HD / 2SD if I only have 1 HD TV, do you hide the other Receivers in a closet.?

·
Registered
106 Posts
1 HD/2 SD is in relation to the number of live tv streams you can view/record at one time.

This set up is ideal if you have 1 tv and a pvr. So you could record 1 HD show and 2 in SD while watching something recorded, or watch 1 in HD while recording 2 SD shows.

Granted, if you have 3+ tvs in the house, 3 incoming streams total may not cut it and a sat solution may be more appropriate for you.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Can you watch an HD show while recording a 2nd HD show? or record 2 x HD shows while watching a pre-recorded HD show.?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really depends on your clearance path and what it qualifies for. Right now there are profiles ranging from the modest 1HD/2SD to 3HD/1SD.

So if you're on the 1HD/2SD then you will not be able to view/record more than one HD channel at once. However, on the 2HD/1SD or 3HD/1SD there's no issue.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That is way too complex for me.

The Telus 9241 Sat Receiver will let you Record 2 x HD and watch a pre-recorded HD show all at the same time, no matter where you are located. Add a second 9241 and I think the Optik is left way behind in the dust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really depends on your clearance path and what it qualifies for. Right now there are profiles ranging from the modest 1HD/2SD to 3HD/1SD.

So if you're on the 1HD/2SD then you will not be able to view/record more than one HD channel at once. However, on the 2HD/1SD or 3HD/1SD there's no issue.
Which one does Edmonton get?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pinaz:

Sure, with sat you can have two separate pvrs recording 2 HD streams at once. Heck, you could have 6 PVRs each recording 2 HD. But you have to go back to the pvr you recorded the show on to watch it. Location does matter on Sat tv. With optik, you can watch the programing from any tv hooked up on the system. The sat boxes are also more expensive.

9142 sat pvr Purchase: 499
6131 HDSTB purchase: 199

optik 430 pvr purchase: 250
330 HDSTB purchase: 150
Cablerules: Depends upon your address. There are areas in Edmonton that definitely qualify for the 3HD/1SD profile, but my residence only had 1HD/2SD when I signed up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was going to say the same thing. Sure 2 sat pvr's have everything covered, but part of this game is to get the best service and picture for the cheapest price. And from what I find it's optik TV.

My location is North Edm 153 ave 145st.

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
@cableRules, you can go to the Telus web site and "check availability" using either your Telus phone number or address. The response will tell you the number of HD and SD streams you will be able to get. Note: You may have to say you have Telus internet to get the number of streams info on-line. The response will look something like this:
And you can watch 3 live programs in HD and 1 in standard definition at the same time.
Or you can phone Telus.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts