Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

noted the anticipated arrival of the BDP-93 (by Oppo) *in BDP-83 thread.
there's a sign up (notification) form for those of us interested.

surely we had our hunch(es) re: possibility of Oppo's entry into 3D (and wifi). I particularly like the addition of Netflix capability. pretty sweet looking too (i think). was contemplating the purchase of the BDP-83 (recently). will hold off now. thanks DHC'ers, for the latest (and greatest) HT news.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yeah, I read about this a few days ago. Definitely cool that it has so much stuff that the 83 didn't have yet they're selling it for the same price. I want one.

Just for kicks, I asked them if they'd sell it to me for a reduced price if I ship them back my 83. No dice. ;)

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
This is going to be the Pioneer Elite BDP-09 killer!!!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I wish Audioholics took better pictures than what they had. They should've sent one to me (even if it is just the exoskeleton) for me to take great pictures of it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting article... Thanks.

Sounds like quite a few improvements without an increase in price.

But it would be nice if the fast forward and rewind controls could be improved over those of the 83. I find the 83's fast forward and reverse controls annoying and not up to the standard of the rest of the 83 player.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Will anyone on this forum get this Blu-ray player to mate with their Pioneer Kuro's? If so, why? I know with this set up there would be no 3D compatibility but I don't care about 3D. I'm looking for benefits such as speed, upconversion capability, versatility, flexibility, and other benefits etc.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
me. I'll be buying 3 of these thing. 1 for my HT, the other 2 to be paired with my 50" Kuro. Why? In theory the upscaling capability should equal BDP-09, which is to this day I find to provide the absolute best DVD upscaling.

(plus, in theory, it should upscale my old family video 720p AVCHD and 720p .mkv torrents.)

The other benefit is it built-in wifi.

Anything else (SACD, DVD-A, Netflix, CD playback) means nothing to me.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
within my setup, i'm convinced :) ...upgrading the HD player is my next move. and rightfully so. many good reads available. all indicate the BDP93 will be another outstanding player from OPPO. .. seems i will be purchasing ..

i think netflix is worth a try to me. my satellite subscription will soon be up, and doubtful i will renew. but i will spend the (from) $ 8- $10 monthly (or whatever) to have movies, TV programs at the ready, vs. my preferences, lifestyle and how they interact with satellite. loosen up some $$ to channel into HT gear ..!!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from Oppo support re: Netflix Canada.

At this time the player is only certified and will support United States Netflix streaming. We anticipate incorporating Canada prior to the release of the player so it can be used out of box, or, very quickly released a firmware after the release to allow for Canada based Netflix streaming.
these folks didn't waste anytime responding to my email query. player listing (details) now available on their site.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
the problem is Netflix Canada is dilly-dallying with firmware approval (at least that's what Sony told me)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oppo Availability

I just visited the Oppo website and noted that they currently have nothing for sale. Models 80 and 83 have stopped production and the model 93 is still "coming".

I just picked up a cheap LG BD player, but suspect that it's quality will be insufficient. If my suspicions are confirmed, then I'll exile it to the bedroom and pick up a better player for the Living Room.

If no Oppos are available, are there any other good players - especially ones that play MKV and DivX?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got my presale notification for this today to purchase, but I'm not dropping $500 unless there is a guarantee that I can get Netflix on this thing. I'm just so hoping it comes quickly so I can finally have dual HDMI outs.

** To the above post, its not for sale yet, those who signed up for notification just got their pre sale purchase ability today, and even that is limited quantities **

·
Registered
846 Posts
I received my email yesterday, and emailed them about Netflix as they only mentioned US support on their site - I didn't notice that someone had also done this earlier. Their response was:

We will be adding Netflix streaming to the player for Canada customers in the future. Canada Netflix streaming is a different certification process. Unfortunately we do not know when this update will occur.

I should note that they replied within 20 minutes of inquiring! Great support from those guys. Still mulling over getting one of these - if I didn't already have Blu-Ray, SACD, DVD-A and DVD upconversion covered with other machines, I'd have placed the order already.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I'm considering it because of the Marvell scaler vs. the ABT processor used in the BDP-83. I've always thought Marvell had a superior product, just so few implementations of it around. Nice to see it popping up in another BD player.

·
Registered
521 Posts
No Products

I mentioned that according to the Oppo website, they have no products on sale at this time. This makes me nervous about ordering or putting myself on a waiting list.

If they have no products, then I assume that they have no revenues coming in. If they have employees and an office, then they have expenses.

Add those two together and one gets a negative number. This is not a sustainable situation.

So while I am interested, I shall await for more certainty in the future of Oppo.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Nothing to worry about Oppo financials. Their main source of income is not BD players. They sell earphones, portable DVD players, mobile phones etc. Besides, they still have to supply Anthem, Cambridge Audio, Lexicon, Cary Audio with their BDP-80 and 83. So income is not a problem.

In terms of purchase, I'd rather purchase it locally. Their shpping cost is an insane US$81 (USPS, CDN$7 brokerage fee) or US$65 (FeDex, CDN$25 for brokerage fee).

Considering the planned Canadian pricing (can't mention it, NDA), I'd wait until it's available locally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, I decided to go ahead and order the BDP-93 on their "advance purchase" offer. It just arrived by Fedex like 5 minutes ago.

First impressions ... it ain't light! Must have some beefy heat sinks or something.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KenN,

any additional feedback ?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts