Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions out there on Marantz equipment? I'm especially interested in hearing from those that considered a Marantz product, but decided on another brand, and the reasons for that.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
All's I know is that Marantz and Denon are the same company. Beyond that, my parents had an old stereo Marantz receiver, probably no more than 50wpc, and it was still running after 15-20 years (not sure about the exact time).
I haven't done a side by side with Marantz and Denon, but A&B Sound carries both brands, as well as Yamaha, so someone in the West could do a comparison with those 2 brands. I was looking at a Marantz, before a Denon, but then decided mainly on a buddy giving me a good deal on another brand.

·
Banned
218 Posts
JohnnyG said:
Any opinions out there on Marantz equipment? I'm especially interested in hearing from those that considered a Marantz product, but decided on another brand, and the reasons for that.
Not sure about the Marantz components being built today but I have 2 Marantz Integrated Amps which I got more than 15 years ago which I am still using today... a PM94 and a PM35 amplifier. I am using the PM94 to power my front speakers and the PM35 to power the rear speakers. I found a website dedicated to the Marantz PM series of amps here. It appears many of these amps sold more than 10 years ago are still in good condition and still being traded on ebay.

I am seriously considering getting a Marantz DVD player next time if I can find one here in TO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Johnny,

I was completely a Yamaha man owning a RX-900U from the late 80's until I was convinced to pick up the SR-7000 several years ago. I found the Marantz to offer a much warmer sound which I really appreciated at the time as at first I was using the system for my main audio system as well.
I also have found that Marantz' wattage rating always a little overboard. It still has more than enough reserve but other receivers I auditioned at the time seemed to push the speakers more effortlessly. However, they sounded artificial after listening to the Marantz (always in stereo mode as I found it much harder to differentiate soundtracks between the receivers).
Keep in mind that many of these products are now being made in different locations than they used to and looking at website feedback, this appears to have somewhat altered the quality control of some of these products.
I have been so pleased with my receiver, however, that my business will be Marantz' to lose.

Russell

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Denon and Marantz are now owned by the same company, but all R&D is still done separately from what I hear.

·
Registered
240 Posts
JohnnyG. I have a Marantz 880 and it is now about 6 years old, a friend of mine purchased the same model and both of us have had good service without problems.
Oh I should mention that he had a video switching problem on one of the video inputs but he does not use those anymore as the video is switched by the TV.
Both these receivers were purchased at A&B Sound and at the time were considered an upper end model at $2000

·
Registered
84 Posts
JohnnyG said:
I considered a Marantz universal player (can't recall the model number, but it retailed for about $700 last spring) as an alternative to the Denon DVD2200. Looked at a bunch of reviews; there were a few known issues with the Marantz whereas the Denon drew nothing but praise. A friend also has the Denon ... and he loves his. Picked the Denon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very happy with my Marantz SR9200 receiver and RC5200 remote.
7.1 THX sound with plenty of power to spare scares the neighbours every time I play the pod race....

·
Registered
301 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

D&M Holdings owns Denon and Marantz.

All that means is that the company OWNS them. Marantz and Denon still have their own R&D, manufacturing, etc.

Some like Denon. Some like Marantz. Just don't think you are getting a Denon with Marantz in it, or vice versa.

I have had Denon, and while they offer more "features" than Marantz, my tastes brought me to a Marantz 8500 about 9 month ago. I found it warm, yet clean, while I found the Denon 3805 less distinct and I would go as far as to say a bit muddy.

Don't shy away from Marantz. I find that they are one of the receiver manufacturers where you can still get decent performance on stereo music compared with most others, especially in the price range.

I would, however, love to have the Audyssey MultiEQ XT setup in my Marantz, which is currently availble in a broad range of the Denon receivers.

My 8500 can be set up via microphone for everything except EQ, while the 9200 will do EQ as well. Some like the onboard EQ of a receiver, some just use the Avia-style setup.

FYI!

Greg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Actually, I've read different reports of whether my Marantz 8500 does alter the EQ. Some reports say yes, some don't mention it.

The reports that DO mention it say that the EQ is adjusted when you run the MRAC.... it's just that you can't see what adjustments it's made or make your own tweaks to the adjustments.

Since I made the report above, I have read a review about the Denon 4306 that says the Audyssey MultiEQ XT didn't do that great of a job and that quite a bit of manual tweaking was required after running it.

Frankly, I just ran the MRAC on my 8500 the first time I set it up, and love the sound. I don't think I'll move back to Denon any time soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had Marantz equipment for more than 10 years, and it has performed exceptionally well. The SR780 receiver I purchased in 1997 was very tough to give up when I purchased the SR8500 earlier this spring. Before making that commitment, I reviewed lots of information, because there are obviously a number of high-end digital receivers out there. Overall, Marantz generally did best with what matters most to me - music. Happily, that was the reason I went with Marantz in the first place. As I don't have the luxury of having separate audio and home theatre systems, the receiver is a critical component, and the SR8500 performs brilliantly on both music and movies. I have it paired with a Marantz DV7600 Universal Player. SACD has brought a whole new enjoyment of music to my ears. While I have not auditioned a lot of other receivers extensively, many of the reviews put Marantz near or at the top of the category when it comes to handling music. My own experience definitely confirms that.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I

All that means is that the company OWNS them. Marantz and Denon still have their own R&D, manufacturing, etc.
D&M does NO manufacturing. It is all subbed out.

The higher end receivers from both companies are made by Etonics (the parent company of Sherwood Newcastle).

D&M holdings distributor in Canada has a higher markup than SN's distributor has. Dollar for dollar, Sherwood Newcastle products are better value in Canada vs Denon/Marantz

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's interesting, especially in light of Bay Bloor Radio (A Toronto electronic retailing institution) dropping Marantz products entirely a couple of years ago. They were a HUGE Marantz dealer and supporter before that. I heard that it had something to do with a disagreement with the supplier, but who knows?

·
Registered
35 Posts
D&M does NO manufacturing. It is all subbed out.

The higher end receivers from both companies are made by Etonics (the parent company of Sherwood Newcastle).

D&M holdings distributor in Canada has a higher markup than SN's distributor has. Dollar for dollar, Sherwood Newcastle products are better value in Canada vs Denon/Marantz
I thought I would chime in here.....Denon and Marantz do indeed have their own factory and production facilities in Shinigawa Japan.....where their upper end models are produced.......it should also be noted,,,,that in the low end Denon does all of the engineering and much of the manufacturing of PCBs and internal components for their gear which is assembled to Denon's spec by 3rd party.

Cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts
In regards to Marantz, when you say "upper end", you really mean it! I have seen a photo of the back panel of the SR9600 (list price $5200 CDN), and it is indeed made in Japan. However, the next model down, the SR8500, is made in China (and even at considerably less than half the price, I believe most would consider it a "higher end" receiver). My DV7600 is also made in China, although I can't comment on the flagship DV9600. The 10 year old SR780 I shelved in favour of the SR8500 was made in Japan, but that was obviously manufactured at a time when China didn't exist on the manufacturing map for quality products.

Going back to 987654321's post, I don't think I have seen any Sherwood products on the shelves in the last few years, although maybe I'm not looking hard enough or in the right places. I recall they were making some stunning (visually, anyway, and I suspect sonically as well) receivers in the late 90s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
New Marantz SR5001

I just picked up a new Marantz SR5001 this week for only $675 CAN!!! (MSRP $899 CAN) to power my KEF eggshells. I've only unpacked it and plugged it into the wall to make sure it works; but looking thru everything I see, the quality here is top notch. The unit's touch controls, build and design are very refined. You don't get fancy colored lights and nifty space age on-screen graphics with this receiver's faceplate but you do get a simple, well thought-out and traditional design.

Will post up again when i get everything up and running this month

P.S. - don't go to SoundPlus in Vancouver. they overcharge for all their products and try to give you open-box goods without telling you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Follow up on new 2007 Marantz Sr5001

Today, I decided to hook up my new marantz AV receiver to my brother's old Mordaunt Short 3.30 speakers and Pioneer CD deck. The Music that I played sounded decent but not as dynamic and detailed as I'm used to hearing. The high's were good but the midrange/lows were not as defined. I re-read the instruction manual to make sure I have the settings right for the receiver so that it was feeding the speakers the full frequency range. After double checking everything, it should have been right.

So after an hour of listening and testing out the Marantz sr5001 to some of my favorite CD's, i disconnected it. Re-connected the speakers and CD Deck with my brother's Old Luxman LV-100 integrated amp which he bought sometime in the 1980's. It's only rated about 40w/channel. Began to play the same music back with the same speakers and it sounded a lot more delicious than my new Marantz!

Now I"m not saying that Marantz sucks but I AM saying that my brother's 20 year old amp sounds great and they don't make electronics now like they used to.

I still haven't tried my Marantz receiver with multichannel sound for which it was intended for (still looking for a deal on an hdmi cable to connect everything up) but when I have it hooked up to my Pana S-77 dvd player and Kef 2005.2, I will make my 3rd post here to outline my experience.

·
Banned
316 Posts
Monoprice.com

I still haven't tried my Marantz receiver with multichannel sound for which it was intended for (still looking for a deal on an hdmi cable to connect everything up) but when I have it hooked up to my Pana S-77 dvd player and Kef 2005.2, I will make my 3rd post here to outline my experience.
Look at monoprice.com for great HDMI cables at great prices with no duty. Check out other threads here and see other people also agree! Try and let us know about the results of the test!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts