Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the process of a complete remodel of our basement. I am putting all my electronics in a inwall rack which used to be in our cold storage room. I have sealed off the room so that it is warmer but when the temp is -30 outside it does dip down to 10 degrees c inside the cold storage room.

Everywhere I read it seems to be that the cooler the better for inwall equipment racks as most install cooling fans later on.

Has anyone here put their electronics in a storage room like this and if yes, do you have any problems with temperature.

This cold storage room of ours will now be behind our bar. We will make a cut out at the bottom for our bar fridge and then above that is where our electronics will sit. Yamaha Receiver, sat receiver, blu ray player, ps3 and fta receiver are the components at the moment.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
For one thing, that room won't be as cold once all those heat producing devices are operating in there. Most electronics is fine down to about 5c-10c. That should be specified in the manuals. The only possible exception might be BD players due to possible condensation on the lens or disc. There is also a maximum operating ambient temperature for most devices. That could be in the 30c-40c range depending on the device. It's also why cooling fans are often installed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's probably not just the 10 degree temp that I'd be concerned with but the implications to humidity levels in that cold room. Cold, hot, cold, hot may mean the moisture in the air from the warm side of the house may condense on the electronics when they are cold, e.g. not in use.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Humid basements are a concern. Many components also specify operating humidity ranges, in addition to temperature. Condensing humidity is the worst. However, any high humidity levels can accelerate corrosion.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
They are right about humidity, but if you are in the southern parts of Saskatchewan then you already know that there is not much humidity in that dry Prairie air so it would really come down to air circulation in that space in order to keep the heat from building up in local hot spots around each piece of equipment. I'd do the same as you in any other part of the Prairies, but probably nowhere else in Canada without measures to rid the space of humidity. Here on the Wet Coast the condensation would be a disaster! :eek:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I don't foresee many days colder than -30 so if it is 10 degrees in there I guess that is fine.

Condensation is one thing I didn't think about. With the door to the room closed there shouldn't be alot of hot to cold to hot to cold changes in temp unless the equipment pushes that much heat off.

The ceiling in that room is plywood with a heat vent above that goes to our front door landing. Would it be of help if took off the plywood where the ductwork runs above just to provide a little more heat to the room. Would just be the heat from the outside of the ductwork but would that even help as heat rises?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts