Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
I somehow get the impression that we are having the wool pulled over our eyes.
Most definitely. Recycling should be legislated at the provincial or federal level and financed at the local or industry level. Once money is collected at a high government level, corruption sets in due to the amount of money involved. Either the money gets siphoned off for other uses by the government or it gets siphoned off by corrupt leeches with government connections. OTOH, with today's government lobby system, corruption also occurs at the legislative level but at least it is reduced. The income tax was originally implemented as a temporary measure to pay for WW1. Look where we are now. :eek:

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Alberta's Electronic Recycling Program and Fees

DHC members might find this interesting for comparison purposes. Taken from the Alberta Recycling Website (Link at the bottom)

Televisions and computer equipment that pose the greatest risk to the environment and represent the greatest amount of electronic waste discarded by Albertans were the first products to be included in the electronics recycling program.

Eligible products
See below for the list of designated electronics currently accepted at no charge for recycling at the more than 220 collection sites across Alberta.
With increasing advances in technology and new products being introduced into the marketplace every year, the need for new ways to recycle electronic waste and the need to add more eligible products to the program is going to continue to grow.

Televisions -These products include a television tuner, or a device that can operate as both a computer monitor and television. Combinations that operate as both a television and a CPU will be charged two environmental fees at the time of purchase for the Television component of the device and the CPU.
CPUs -The device that is the central processing unit of the computer.
Keyboard, mouse, cables and/or speakers
Monitors -These devices have built in components necessary to operate as a computer monitor and they do not come within the definition of a television as noted above. All-in-one combinations of monitor and CPU will be charged two environmental fees at the time of purchase for the monitor and the CPU.
Printers -Includes desktop printers, multi-function printer copiers, printer/fax copier combinations. Environmental fee will not be charged at the time of purchase for handheld devices that have a printing function such as label makers and calculators, or printers which weigh more than 1,000 kilograms.
Laptops & notebooks -Portable computers that includes the combination of both the CPU, monitor and keyboard all in one package. Only one environmental fee will be charged at the time of purchase.

Environmental fees
Environmental fees are collected on the sale of new eligible electronics in Alberta.
These fees are used to:Collect, transport and recycle unwanted electronics,
Develop research into new recycling technologies, and Build awareness and support for the electronics recycling programs.

Televisions
18-inch screen and smaller: $15
19-inch to 29-inch screen: $25
30-inch to 45-inch screen: $30
46-inch and larger screen: $45
Computer Equipment
Computer monitors (LCD and CRT): $12
CPUs and servers (also covers recycling of keyboard, mouse, cables, and speakers): $10
Printer/printer combinations: $8
Laptop and notebook computers: $5

http://www.albertarecycling.ca/BasicContent.aspx?id=80&ekmensel=a681a8bf_8_14_80_2

·
Registered
460 Posts
DHC members might find this interesting for comparison purposes. Taken from the Alberta Recycling Website (Link at the bottom)[/url]
It looks the Nova Scotia bureaucrats borrowed the notes from their Alberta counterparts and implemented the exact same fees. (Except of course you guys only have to pay 5% GST on top of them while we have to pay 13% HST.)

I didn't see any mention of these fees charged for products shipped to Alberta though. Do you know if it they get added in such situations?

·
Banned
78 Posts
Hello, kinda new to the forum but I'd like to offer my opinion on this issue.

I used to work for an organization called Computers for Schools. We took in donated computer equipment for refurbishment and placement in local schools. This was around the time the EHF was introduced.

Prior to the EHF, people had to pay the local recyclers to get rid of computers, monitors, etc.. so instead of it getting recycled, people tossed them into the garbage because they didn't want to pay the fees.

I now work in computer retail where we collect the EHF on equipment we sell. Because people are now paying the fee up front, there is a network of collection points that take the equipment with no charge at the time of disposal. This helps more people to recycle their old equipment instead of just throwing it away.

Keep in mind that older equipment that never had the fee paid is still eligible for free recycling under the new program.

An extra $22 on a thousand dollar computer system really isn't that much when you think about how much stuff will now be recycled properly.

Unlike BC's "revenue neutral" carbon tax that will NOT be used to fund clean energy exploration, help big polluters clean up their emissions, etc... the EHF is funding a network of collection points and recyclers to proactively do something about the amount of toxic materials in electronic equipment that leech into the environment.

I personally don't think carbon is the massive problem we make it out to be. There is a LOT that needs to be done about ground level pollution and waste too.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I blissfully bought a $170 printer this weekend, and on the bill is an "Environmental Handling Fee" for $5.05. What the h double ll is that for I asked and the retailer is quick to point out that it is the province of Ontario fee.

I just love how the government wraps it in green, calls it a "fee" and pretends it isn't just a new tax. When I hear that the EHF is put in to a separate account and is only used for specific enviro handling I may not be as p'oed.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The fee is administered by the OES, Ontario Electronic Stewardship and it is my understanding that this does not go into general coffers. It is to fund the diversion of electronic waste from the landfill. If you go to the OES site you can download copious material on what they expect to collect and where the funds will go. Their start costs I thought were eye opening - prepare to have your ire raised. And just to raise your ire further it is taxable both provincially and federally as the fee becomes part of the real value of the product. Just passing on what I know because we are passing it on to our customers.

·
Registered
815 Posts
>>>TAXING = GREEN !<<<

The nice thing about a green tax is that it relieves me from having to worry about how to dispose of the item. Having paid the tax, I can just toss it out without worrying about its effect on the environment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On top of that here is what they are doing in Ottawa.

The City of Ottawa is hosting a one-day electronic-waste collection depot from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 16. Items collected will be completely recycled, preventing the hazardous substances contained in some of these items from harming the environment and ensuring they are diverted from landfills.

The depot is being held at the Robert O. Pickard Environmental Centre Technical Services Building, 655 Shefford Road (end of Shefford Road), north of Highway 174, west of the Montreal Road exit.

Electronic-waste includes old personal computers, monitors, printers, keyboards and computer mice. Other electronic-waste, including TVs, VCRs, DVD players, video game systems and cell phones can also be dropped off. These items will be recycled at a small cost to residents – $2 apiece for most items, $10 for monitors and $15 for TV sets. No charge for PCs.

And as stated the charge is per piece. So you pay at the checkout and then again to get it recycled. I'm surprised the Feds don't demand the GST on top and maybe the Prov. could also add the PST to boost their tax base as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can pollute the environment if I pay money? Big businesses/governments answers to climate change.
If I buy a product why can't I pay the manufacturer to take the product back? Why doesn't the manufacturer assume responsibility also? I'd bet auto makers wouldn't be in the shape they are in if they had to take back their vehicles. As a manufacturer I'd make a better product if I were responsible for the proper recycling of my defunct product. It would probably rid us of the problem of built in obsolescence.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The City of Ottawa is hosting a one-day electronic-waste collection depot ......
Electronic-waste includes old personal computers, monitors, printers, keyboards and computer mice. Other electronic-waste, including TVs, VCRs, DVD players, video game systems and cell phones can also be dropped off. These items will be recycled at a small cost to residents – $2 apiece for most items, $10 for monitors and $15 for TV sets. No charge for PCs.
This is not a "small cost". For the electronic junkie with a few boxes, or a room with a bunch of old stuff, this will get expensive. Instead, they can just put it out to the curb and have it taken away at no extra cost. Ideally it is much better to have it recycled, but with the cost per item it gives big incentive for a lot of people to just ditch the stuff.

My favourite way of recycling is to post a "free" giveaway on a local forsale board.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would rather see the money go directly to city and regional governments, as they appear to be doing the most for recycling and waste disposal. We must pay for disposal of hazardous waste at city collection sites. Is that going to change? Then we must deal with people and companies who need incentives to recycle and dispose of hazardous waste safely. How about a refundable deposit?

These items will be recycled at a small cost to residents – $2 apiece for most items, $10 for monitors and $15 for TV sets.
Like that's going to draw a large turnout. A free drop off day would be much better, where costs are paid for by the new tax. Fees like this just encourage some people to dump stuff in ravines and rivers. (Or in our back yard like somebody did with some old paint cans.) :(

·
Registered
471 Posts
New tax on electronic

Sorry NeilN

I didn't see any official posting about the starting date of the new TAX

Since April 1 - 2009 an ECO TAX I mean FEE will be levied on every electronic
component follow the link >
http://www.ontarioelectronicstewards...ards/fees.html

More green for the Greeny ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't mind paying it if I know the products getting recycled, the recyclers actually make very good money off computers especially ( gold content).

My biggest bitch is batteries I would really like to see some concentrated measures to get these out of landfills as currently less the 2% of all the alkaline batteries sold ever make it back into the proper recycling (disposal )stream and that's pretty scary.

If Iam any indication I can recycle about 20 a month out of my house alone
easily, and that's every single month sometimes a lot more.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bottle Deposits Work

I agree with all the refunders. Every product should have a return fee. How many coke cans and plastic bottles do you see left by the inconsiderate. Now how many beer or liquor bottles?

On the same theme, carbon tax makes way more sense than cap and trade.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Remember how that $5 tire "surcharge" was supposed to go toward proper disposal of tires in Ontario? Did that ever happen? No. I'm sure the same will happen with this new tax. It'll go into General Revenue, and never be put toward environmental cleanup.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts