Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
They were never intended to save the typical energy user any money. (only the utilities, since they don't need meter readers any more and shifting demand if done could reduce new infrastructure costs)

The off-peak rate is close to what people were paying before on the RPP before the price hike, so of course the bills have increased. (everything went up - RPP is now 6.5 cents per kwh)

The only way to make this billing system fair is to charge the weighted average wholesale price + provincial benefit during each period and adjust it to compensate for seasonal changes. (ie the price between 11pm-5pm should actually reflect the average cost of generating electricity during that period)

The off-peak price should be 2-3 cents max.

After 2014 the average price will probably be 20 cents including all charges as the province gets rid of coal; Ontario is going the way of Denmark. (they pay 30-40 cents!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 1st bill went up at least $130. Can't wait till the second one comes in... :(

Not sure who believed we would actually save money with the new scheme. We have always pretty much did things off hours anyway in our home so frankly I was expecting at least the same usage pattern but jacking up prices and HST completely wiped out a perceived cost saving.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree with TXV.

I would much rather be on spot market pricing. That way we could take advantage of the really inexpensive electricity during the spring and fall. This would at least compensate for the high spot pricing during the summer months.

This scheme would be much fairer than paying inflated costs for electricity during the spring and fall as TOU will surely cost us.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The spot market is too unpredicable; I would rather have regulated spot market based weighted rates for each TOU period. (set at the beginning of each season based on spot market price forecasts)

The problem now is that the TOU rates often don't reflect the average spot market price during the period in question; the peak period also doesn't always coincide with peak demand. Ex: in the summer peak tends to be from 4:00-7:00pm, but peak period = 11am-5pm. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Next election the Liberals are NOT getting my vote… I never voted for them to begin with.

I knew from day one that these meters were just a Government scam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts