1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
815 Posts
>>>Through the addition of a pair of speakers above the front left and right speakers, Dolby Pro Logic IIz is said to add a vertical component to the horizontal soundfield of a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system.<<<

Maybe I am missing something, but how does it add two new "vertical" speakers without adding any speakers? I don't see any new speaker connections on the picture of the back. It still looks like a 7.1 system, not 9.1 which it would be if there were more speakers.

EDIT: Maybe the new front speakers replace the surround back ones?

·
Registered
578 Posts
From CNET: "The biggest news is that the new TX-SR607 ($600) will be the first receiver to feature Dolby ProLogic IIz sound processing, which can expand existing 7.1 soundtracks to 9.1, routing some of the audio to "front high speakers" which are positioned above your standard front speakers"

I am confused as well about 7.2/9.2. It is ".2" right? CNET has more coverage comparing all three models in depth here: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr307-black/4505-6466_7-33553625.html

The 307 and 507 are ONLY 5.1. The 307 doesn't even process hdmi audio by the looks of it, the 507 will still be around $500 Canadian which is around the price(if you can find a sale) on the current 606 model. The 607 has SIX, count 'em, SIX HDMI inputs and there are no longer any S-video inputs on these models.

·
Registered
578 Posts
So basically on the 607...which doesn't even have 9.1 support, the only advantage will be to take your rear surrounds and move them then activate IIz and it will sound different?

·
Registered
815 Posts
The key part of that other thread that 57 mentioned:

Supports the following upmixed output configurations based on 5.1 sources with independent Ls and Rs channels:

* 5.1 to 7.1 Height [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lvh, and Rvh]
* 5.1 to 9.1 [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lrs, Rrs, Lvh, and Rvh]

Note: For 5.1-channel sources, Dolby Pro Logic IIz height extensions operate only on the Ls and Rs channels; L, C, R, and LFE channels are bypassed.

Because new formats (such as Blu-ray Disc™) allow content to contain up to 7.1 discrete channels from Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD audio programs, the height extensions support 7.1 Back sources and offer the following upmixed output configurations:

* 7.1 Back to 7.1 Height [Ls, Rs, Lrs, and Rrs to Ls, Rs, Lvh, and Rvh]
* 7.1 Back to 9.1 [Ls, Rs to Ls, Rs, Lrs, Rrs, Lvh, and Rvh]
So it sounds like in a 7.1 configuration, you can have either Surround Back speakers or Vertical Height Speakers.

My question is answered.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, but how does it add two new "vertical" speakers without adding any speakers? I don't see any new speaker connections on the picture of the back. It still looks like a 7.1 system, not 9.1 which it would be if there were more speakers.
I count 9 speaker connections on the rear panel. 2 are spring terminals, the others appear to be 5-way binding posts (hope I got my terms correct...)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think you are right. I couldn't see it very well on the picture in the article, but on one of the pictures on CNET, it looked like those spring clips are labelled "front high speakers". I wonder why they are calling it a 7.2 system then.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm assuming an 877 model will also be out at some point?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read this and immediately thought of Yamaha's "Pressence" channels..

I think the only advantage would be with large rooms and/or DSP programing to expand the sound stage... with Prologic IIz you are only adding an impression of "height"... something a good speaker should do anyway. Maybe is it like the advent (pun intended) of Dolby EX, a way to overcome small speakers and bad speaker placement.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't know about this implementation, but adding a Z axis to surround sound is a great idea... I visualize a setup where instead of surround back speakers have one directly above the seating position, and one below somehow.

Any effects could be positioned anywhere, missiles flying by overhead, the waves lapping on the hull of a boat from the bottom of your couch!

Of course this would require a whole new format, or have the option on the disc to have "7.1 Rear Surround" or "7.1 Z-axis"

·
Registered
51 Posts
First of all adding 'presense' speakers in the front is nothing new. Yamaha has been doing it for years. Second of all..it's still a 7.1 amp, this means it has 7 amplifier channels and can not run in 7.1 while still powering 2 additional front presense speakers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know about this implementation, but adding a Z axis to surround sound is a great idea... I visualize a setup where instead of surround back speakers have one directly above the seating position, and one below somehow.

Any effects could be positioned anywhere, missiles flying by overhead, the waves lapping on the hull of a boat from the bottom of your couch!

Of course this would require a whole new format, or have the option on the disc to have "7.1 Rear Surround" or "7.1 Z-axis"
Of course this would require a whole new format, or have the option on the disc to have "7.1 Rear Surround" or "7.1 Z-axis or 7.1 Diggler mode"

Maybe you should have been working with Dolby all these years, or maybe you just smoke some good....well n/m!

Just bein' funny...I like your way of thinking though...revolutionary to say the least.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ha, I really do think it's a great idea! It would be so easy to implement, all the sound engineers would have to do is create an additional 2 channels for the up/down. There should be plenty of room on a BD for that. Then the user selects which channels to use based on how he decided to set up his home theater.

The only problem I see is how to integrate the bottom speaker... Built into the footrest on my recliner would work nicely!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts