Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at all the specs and yes there are differences...upscaling processors for one but some advice from real user would be helpful. Axiom speakers is what would be attached and it would be used for mainly DVD/bluray and streaming video ( as it becomes more popular..I hope)
Crutchfield has a good deal it seems.... has anyone bought from them?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Because the Onkyo is THX certified it has a better amp section than the Denon, so if you are using 4 ohm speakers the Onkyo is the way to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could afford the M80's but it will be a M60 purchase from Axiom...is that the only advantage that you see?

thanks todd

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have been using the Onkyo TX-NR808 for about a week now. Initially, i couldnt get any sound at all. The speaker indicator lights suggested there were no attached speakers. After unplugging the unit and waiting 30sec (as per the manual upon a power surge) the issue was fixed. However, this happened two more times at random and required the same fix. After a firmware update this seems to have permantly fixed the problem and now the speaker indicator lights function properly when changing between output types (mono, two channel etc).

The sound is really good. However, I feel that the majoity of sound is coming from the center channel. I didnt notice this on my older (and much cheaper quality) amp. I also feel there is a lot of fluctuation in level of voices coming from the center. Sometimes they are really soft and other times they are too loud. Maybe this is from the source material (Iron Man 2 Bluray) I dont know.

The other issue, I cant stream from my laptop to the receiver. The receiver is detected on the network fine but windows media player says the device is not supported for output. So maybe I am doing something wrong I dont know but i cant get it to work.

Bottom line, i am not totally happy. I have ordered the Denon AVR-3311 as a replacement. Arrived today. I can post my impressions later.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Issues to keep in mind with each:

Denon AVR-3310CIs (as well as 4310/4810 and reportedly 3311s) have chronic network card failures. If the networking features of the AVR are important to you, the Denon is a bit of a risky proposition. Denon claimed that the problem was restricted to early production runs on the xx10 units, but the appearance of the same problem on the 3311 would lead me to doubt that.

Onkyo receivers are notorious for running very hot. I have no personal experience with the NR808, but it's a common thing with Onkyo's. If you have very good ventilation in your installation, not a big issue (and you get the bonus of cutting down on your natural gas bill;)) but when I did have an Onkyo AVR, the heat issue did concern me. The other thing to be wary of with Onkyo is the video processing. The NR808 utilized Faroujda video scaling which is very poor as compared to the ABT used by Denon. If you intend to run your cable or satellite PVR through your receiver, the Onkyo will do a poor job of processing video. The ABT processing used by the Denon 3310 is vastly superior.

In the price range you're looking at you could also look at a Pioneer VSX-1125-K or Pioneer Elite VSX-32. Both these units feature Marvell video scaling with excellent implementation by Pioneer. The Pioneer units will outperform the Denon in this regard.

The other unit to consider is the new Yamaha RXA-1000, although it doesn't use a video scaler in the league of the 3310 or the Pioneer units. Step up to the RX-A2000 and the HQV Vida upscaling should be very good, possibly better than the Denon, but not in the league of the Marvell QDEO used by Pioneer. That said, it's a price jump from where you're looking.

In other words, if networking features are important to you, be leery of the Denon. If video scaling is important, the Onkyo just cannot compete and be aware of the heat issues with Onkyo AVRs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take a hard look at the Yamaha RX A2000. It's a little more money than either the Denon or Onkyo but the performance is wonderful. HQV video processor, discrete sub measurement and the the room EQ system (YPAO) is a new generation. Sounds wonderful. 4 year warranty so they are confident of their quality.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The Denon AVR-3311 is amazing.

So hookup was a breeze. Audyssey auto setup is amazingly simple.

Firmware updated immediately.

Networking worked perfectly. Got the firmware updated. Installed the drivers on my computer. Played music from Windows Media Player directly to the AVR no problem! Even displays the song title/band/album cover on the tv and allows me to edit my Windows Media player play lists on the tv. This is the big seller for me.

Sound is amazing. First twenty minutes of Resident Evil felt like the first time I ever heard it.

Video looks great. I saw some pixelation with my setup going through the Onkyo (Panasonic DVD player HDMI out) but i cant see it with the Denon video processing. My DVI-HDMI out on the set top box wont display. Asking for a component connection.

Somebody posted somewhere that they felt the unit "felt cheap/flimsy " compared to previous models. I cant compare to previous models but i tell you this unit does not feel either cheap or flimsy. Really solid. It is also a lot smaller than the Onkyo.

Still not sure why there are two remotes. Seems a bit redundant since they both essentially contain 90% of the same buttons.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Second remote to control second zone if desired. I believe it's RF, so it'll work from other rooms. The function of this remote should be outlined in the OM. I believe, unlike the main remote, it's not programmable and only operates the AVR.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your insight...much appreciated! I was also looking at the Elite VSX-32 ,Red Ball Radio in Belleville has them on for a little over 1100$..I didn't notice any RX-A2000 but I will call Eric and ask. They all seem very helpful

T

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
One thing I would suggest is looking at the importance of the various features.

If video scaling is at the top of the list, the VSX-32 will outperform every other AVR mentioned in this thread (the RX-A2000 will be excellent as well, but not quite as good as the Pioneer, and the Denon will be good, but won't quite measure up to either the HDV Vida (Yamaha) or the Marvell QDEO (Pioneer)). The Onkyo should be completely excluded if video scaling is important to you.

If networking features are important, I would be very wary of the Denon. While Denon claims that this is a limited problem, it isn't. Further, when my 3310 NIC failed, it was almost five weeks for it to get repaired. Any of the others in this thread would be a better choice if networking's important.

One last thing about the Yamaha, I wouldn't look at either the RX-A800 or RX-A1000. Neither features the HQV chipset.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice JohnnyCanuck..and everyone

I am leaning towards the VSX-32....Futureshop pushed me towards the VSX-1325-K...didn't bite but I don't see it actually available on Pioneers site?

T

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Maybe not a bad deal, just guesswork on my part that it's a big box version of the 33. It's the same power rating, has the Marvell scaler, and two HDMI outputs which is why I think it might be the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
was checking FS watt rating and it says 110...the 33 says 140 watts per channel..I can only assume that its not then? I still like the VSX-32 though.

T

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The Reon-VX is not in the league of the Marvell QDEO used in the Pioneer units. That said, it is a very good scaler and there are lots of things to like about the NR3007.

It is, however, only HDMI 1.3a not 1.4 which may or may not be an issue to the OP. There is also the heat consideration, as with most Onkyo AVR's. If the OP's installation is well ventilated, not a concern ... but something to always factor in when considering an Onkyo is the amount of heat it produces and the nature of the planned installation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry not on the west coast..wish I was though!..
I am near Belleville.
Ventilation is normal cabinet setup..I have no use for 3D but I feel that the most up to date setup is preferred since I am one that usually holds onto things for awhile...so 1.4a is better I think

T

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found as of the Onkyo **7 series and especially the newer **8 series, heat is not longer any issue compared to any other higher powered A/V units.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking at these two units as well. Any input from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

My wife is making me decide which one this week for a xmas gift.

I am however looking at either the 3311 vs 808.

Johnny canuck not sure if i agree with you claiming the reon is not in the league of marvel.

I have researched these comparisons.

I cant speak to much on the silicon optix reon, I have a silicon optix realta.

From my comparisons and from reading reports reon and or realta and marvell are generally preferred over abt solutions. Oppo bdp-83 might be the only exception oppo tweaked that abt chip alot.

I have compared my realta vp vs pioneer blue ray.

It was so close, it will come down to prefrence. Most comparisons online are 50/50 people prefering reon over the marvel, or marvel over reon.

Not sure why you claim its not in the same league.

My realta is even bit better then the reon so maybe its not completely fair.

However the realta i gave a slight advantage to, although it was close. Realta produces a very clean picture and so does marvel, but marvel seemed even a little softer. Realta deinterlacing softens the video slightly to clean up pixelization jaggies around objects which is fantastic. Setting enhancer to 1 brings back the crispness of the image. It has been the best chip i tested. With marvell very close.

Marvel does not do this quite as well and likewise softens the video even a bit more.

I have a oppo bdp-93 coming so i will compare the new marvell kyoto g2 chip.

All im saying though is i think its crazy you claim they are not in the same league. That is quite a statement. Realistically they should be close.

Sorry for getting off topic.

But back to the original subject, any onkyo 808 vs denon 3311 comments are welcome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts