Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've short-listed my new HT Receiver Choices to these two receivers. How much should I expect to pay? Which one would be best for the $$?
I have two zones in the house that I would want to use concurrently with different sources: Zone A is the HT room (16'X17') with a Panasonic PT AE 700U front projector, big screen TV. Zone B is the rest of the house (4 rooms with in-ceiling speakers and individual volume controls and a back porch speaker set-up). I understand that the Panny projector isn't so good at scaling, so the ability of the receiver to help in this area would be useful.

Thanks-a-million!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too have the 702 and I love it !! Great sound , lots of power , I have outdoor speakers from zone 2 as well . I paid $950 . As for running 4 rooms and outdoor speakers I think you would have to use zone 2 for outside and multi room for the 4 rooms for there to be enough power ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did you buy?

argeebee, which one did you buy? The Onkyo TX-SR702 is down to $900 now and am wondering if it would beat a Yamaha RXV2500...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Anybody know much about the TSXR 602?

I just saw the 602 on sale for $616.00( from $829.00) and was bouncing around the idea of how it compares to the Pioneer VSX1015 TX and Denon 2105.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sylvain,

I'm in Ottawa and was wondering if you knew of a Canadian distributor of the Onkyo product? I'm looking at the onkyo HT-S780 home theatre system for my home and cannot seem to find it anywhere. I could buy it in the US but I assume once I bring it home that I have no warranty.

You can reply to me directly at [email protected]

thx

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fred, did you hear about "The Listening Room" here in Ottawa (Kanata)? They seem to be pretty big on Onkyo; all their "recommended systems" are built around Onkyo receivers. "Brault et Martineau" on the Quebec side also has Onkyo receivers and sometimes have pretty good deals. The last time I checked, Brault et Martineau had a better price than the Listening Room for the Onkyo receiver I was looking for.

Here are the links:

http://www.thelisteningroom.ca/index.html
http://www.braultmartineau.com/Accueil.aspx (bilingual)

S.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up purchasing the Onkyo 702 (around $1000 including taxes last fall). I am happy with it!

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
"Great Choice!," he said with no bias. ;)
It really is a great receiver.
Let us know how it goes when you hook up Zone 2. Mine is outside, so its mainly used in the summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
maybe dead thread but i don't understand how this advice could be given in such a matter. the onkyo is completely destroyed by a pioneer elite in the same price range. look at the power supply, internal build quality, all channels driven specs. wait, better yet, listen to them both in an AB test!!! Pioneer Elite is among the top 4 mid-fi receivers along with denon, marantz, and HK. although this is my opinion of course, this is also my hobby. i spend all of my xtra time, which i don't have much of to listening to audio/video. these four companies i would recommend hands down to any onkyo, yamaha, sony, etc..
for a strictly budget receiver with good options i would recommend the yamaha rx-v657 other than that, go w/ 1 of the 4 i mentioned. i guarantee i have done the research for u. let me know ur exact speakers and i can tell u benefits of each brand. its important to match ur speaks w/ the sound defined by ur receiver so the more info the better these forums can help u

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a pair of ENERGY Connoisseur C5. I have been thinking about updating my old YAMAHA receiver. mannoia, any suggestions are welcome. I've been out of contact with the latest in this field for a while now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mannoia said:
Pioneer Elite is among the top 4 mid-fi receivers along with denon, marantz, and HK.
I'll put your expertise to the test. There is thing that denon, marantz, and HK have in common? What is it?

Because of this, when spending over $1000usd on a A/V receiver; {insert brand name here} offers better value (ie better sound and performance/$ spent)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Twilight Cowboy said:
I'll put your expertise to the test. There is thing that denon, marantz, and HK have in common? What is it?

Because of this, when spending over $1000usd on a A/V receiver; {insert brand name here} offers better value (ie better sound and performance/$ spent)
Overpriced in Canada?

·
Registered
44 Posts
eimaj said:
Overpriced in Canada?
No kidding. Notice how so many of those Denon and HK B stock units from authorized US dealers end up being sold by Canadians on EBay as "New".

Never seems to be any B stock from authorized dealers in Canada though - extra charge in Canada must be from all that extra Quality Control in Canada. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Toyayo, mention ur connoisseur c5's and want a receiver to match well. basically, i don't understand why ur looking for a receiver to match these speaks if ur talking about 2 channel music. if ur looking for 2 channel only music for a receiver i would recommend the outlaw rr2150 receiver selling at $599. It is an internet only company at the moment, but it is the bomb. its a 2 channel model however and i will go out on a limb considering the thread at hand and recommend a avr for home theater. First off, i want to describe the speaker a bit beforehand. The connoisseur c5 is a great budget minded floorstander with a lot of expensive technology from their higher end speaks incorporated into them. The tweeter section of these guys is very smooth and unharsh if u will with the tweeter tech stemming from the more expensive veritas line. U get a neutral, open sound while at the same time remaining laidback. these characteristics are very important to examine when deciding on which receiver will match. Although these speaks are good for music, u may need a sub to fill in for the low end. (Rel sub or Velodyne recommended) BTW, good for music will generally make them GREAT for HT, in this case i believe this to be true. They incorporate ur 2 6.5" woofers in which placement will be absolutely critical in 2 channel config since the port is in the front. i would place them anywhere from 2-3 feet from ur back wall as a good starting point. The only other pertinent info that "I" know of w/ this particular speaker is that the sensitivity is around 92-94 db if memory serves me right which will make them pretty easy to drive with a moderately priced receiver, which i believe is the real question at hand.
So, if ur lookin for 2 channel, look toward the outlaw, with a money back 30 day guarantee i believe is what they offer.
But i suspect ur looking for bells and whistles since ur on this particular thread, so in that case i recommend 2 a/v receivers for which i absolutely am confident will do the job well but U NEED TO LISTEN FOR URSELF as audio is very subjective, and therefore is just my opinion based on what i myself hear and like. with those speakers, which in all honesty ive only heard on 2 occassions for very short listening periods as i auditioned them vs B&W which i believe to be a strikingly similar sound to ur speaks, but i liked the B&W sound so my audition was cut short on the connoisseurs.
heres the receivers i would reccomend
Pioneer elite vsx-74TXVI, which is thx select2 receiver with some real gusto and connectivity options to boot. It is moderately priced and has good build quality compared to other moderately priced receivers. It fits the bill in my opinion as it is neutral to warm sounding which should make ur highs sing while not fatiguing ur ears. It would partner well with them speaks.
Denon 3806
I like the denon sound with my B&W and ur connoisseurs are close in sound to the B&W in my opinion. Like the pioneer, it has good connectivity, hdmi, etc.. no thx select or other thx certification, but imo, this is not important. I like the 2 channel sound of the denon better in an A/B comparison.
Bottom line, listen to these two receivers or if ur going 2 channel just order the Outlaw as i know u will love the sound. Sorry for long post, just want to point u in a clear direction i hope this helps.

-Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Twilight cowboy, i don't really have an answer for you except to negate ur argument. in the $1000 range, i believe this is when ur money spent will really show with going for a denon, HK, or Pio elite as the build quality and power supply is better than ur more mainstream products such as sony, onkyo, and yamaha. although i believe the yammy to be somewhat close to the 3 aforementioned units, i still feel it is a step behind. Just do the research, rated power is a joke. The HK actually rates there power with all channels driven, conservatively if u will. This is no marketing scam, as with for instance an onkyo will rate a receiver for instance at 130 watts per channel. While this sounds good on paper, it will barely reach 130 real watts with 2 channels driven. However, when u push the onkyo with 5 channels, the power supply is not "beefy" enough to exert such power. Ur lookin at maybe 60x5 with the onkyo in surround mode if ur lucky. the build quality and sound quality is what im talking about and is why i recommend these receivers. Onkyo is good for bells and whistles but the performance will lack, listen for urself. Read some reviews, go audition them for urself and u should get a good idea of what im talking about.
All of this said, the onkyo is not a "bad" receiver as home theater is generally pretty easy to get good sound. I suggest even if ur looking for HT, audition these receivers with 2 channel setups as well as 5 just to see how they stack up actual rms all channels driven. Hope this makes sense.

-jeff

·
Registered
354 Posts
mannoia said:
Twilight cowboy, i don't really have an answer for you except to negate ur argument.
-jeff
The answer to "There is thing that denon, marantz, and HK have in common? What is it?" These units are all mfgd in Etonics' asian factories. Etonics is the parent company of ???? -

As for phony numbers in the ratings games - yes it has become the norm.

In the $1000 range, only 2 brands meet the published power specs for ALL channels driven @ low distortion figures: H/K and NAD. NAD are really underspeced as has been their history.

What does this mean for the average listener? If one has power hungry speakers and/or likes to listen to heavy metal or symphonic music; the "pretenders" will have no soundstage as compared to the heavyweights. Individual instruments will sound harsh and be difficult to pick out. These pretenders will sound loud all right - distortion always does.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mannoia said:
sherwood, but i thought only marantz and denon were linked with them and HK was a different company.
Etonics has contracts with a number of companies:

D&M Holdings includes Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Snell, Boston Accoustcs and Escient.

Some lines such as Denon and Marantz are made in Etonics factories using D&M circuit designs. Others such as Boston Accoustics receivers are Sherwood Newcastles in a different box with a price tag $400 or $500 greater

Harman International Industries has 28 brands including H/K, JBL infinity and Lexicon. Products are made various factories. For example, Lexicon amps are made in Crown factories (using Lexicon designed circuitry)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was a dead thread.... however, in my geographical location (West Coast of Canada), the lower end pioneer elites cost almost double what I paid for the Onkyo 702 and didn't have all the bells and whistles. Also they didn't have a justifiably large "spec difference" to justify the increased cost. Being on a budget, I decided to put the price difference (and then some) into the speakers for two reasons: The difference in sound was more obvious and I will keep the speakers for much, much longer than I will keep the receiver. Hopefully my logic isn't too flawed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts