Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to a new appartment on July 1st. When the cable was installed, the tech immidiately mentioned a signal strength issue, and many of the HD channels were pixilating/not coming through. Over the next month and a half, I have 4 different techs come, all have bumped it up to the "next level", at which point I am out of the loop and no progress is being made. Naturally, the channel most effected is TSNHD, which is probably #1 on my list for why I have cable.

Now, each time I call Rogers to complain I seem to be starting back at square one (even though they see all the complaints/visits on my account), and once it gets bumped up, nothing seems to happen. Anyone know what I need to do to get this fixed properly, or at least be told that it can't be fixed due to the building?

EDIT: Thought I should provide some numbers. The BEST channels seem to have a signal strength of -13db and a SN of 33db, whereas TSNHD is coming in at -20db and SN of 27db.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Sounds like the wiring in the apartment building may not be adequate, or there might be a poor connection somewhere, that should be easy to diagnose by a proper tech. I would have thought they'd be able to put an amp upstream somewhere to help with your signal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
considering anything between of +10 to -10db is acceptable with 0db being optimal.......-20db is a pretty weak signal

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
57:

It is definitely the wiring of the building (but it is only a 2-story apartment building), the techs have basically all said this, and then escalate it, at which point I am 100% out of the loop and every seems to grind to a halt.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Perhaps it's not "worth their while" to spend a lot of effort on the issue, if there's only one customer with the problem. Sometimes they may be able to run a special cable on the outside to your suite, if the building owner allows...

Also, with only a two story building, I would have thought an amp in the central location would solve your problem. You can only keep trying and bugging them (Rogers and perhaps the building owner) to see what can be done.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
It is definitely the wiring of the building
Who owns the wiring? If the building, then there may not be much Rogers can do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the building owns the wiring, a few units do have wiring on the outside but not sure if they will let me do that. If Rogers can't do anything, I would be annoyed, but at least I would know, as it stands I just feel completely in the dark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts