Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
State Farm recently conducted an online survey of of 912 drivers who met the following criteria: had a valid driver's license, reported driving at least one hour per week, and owned a smart phone.

Of these drivers, about one in five (19 percent) admitted to using the Internet while driving.

And what where the top five Web-based activities they engage in? In order, they were: Finding/reading driving directions, Reading email, Looking up/referencing specific information of immediate interest, Looking at/reading social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and composing/sending email.

Most respondents who said they use the Internet while driving reported that they engage in these activities when stopped at a stop light or stopped in heavy traffic. They also commonly said they access the Internet when driving alone, during daylight hours, or on long drives on the interstate.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kind of scary, don't you think!

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Here in NB, in the past year or so, we've had many fatalities due to texting/browsing while driving. Pretty sad that most of the time, this will be the outcome of such activities. I do love technology but in the car, it should be basic: driving from point A to B.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Some Ideas

I keep wondering if the auto companies could do something to make it impossible for fools to use their phones/IPODS etc. in their cars perhaps by including either some form of shielding in the car body that would cut off any cell signal or by having the car's electrical system generate some form of interference whenever the car is in motion that would have the same effect. Both seem technically possible but I suspect that either technique would end up being challenged in the courts as a some kind of violation of civil/human rights. (That's the way of our world these days).

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
That's unlikely to work, however, the devices themselves can be made to be unable to perform certain functions above a certain speed.

I don't really know how society has allowed this to happen. It's very sad that every day innocent people are injured or die because of the selfish bad habits of others.

As discussed in the various cell phone threads, education is also key. We need to make these habits as unacceptable as drunk driving, since they are often even more dangerous.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i admit ive done it. some times you want to know the score of that hockey game!

as with everything in life by smart about it( ie dont check while going 140 in the fast lane passing)

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Just this evening, a woman in the lane next to me slowly rolled into the on coming traffic, while we had a red light. She was almost across the first lane, before someone honked at her. She then looked up and put the car in reverse to get back behind the line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts