Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 1 6100 and 3 4100 receivers. 2 of the 3 4100s and the 6100 work fine. This afternoon the reception on the other 4100 started to fade and now after multiple switch checks I don't get any signal to it at all. I moved that 4100 to another location and then it works fine. My guess is a failed port on the multi switch. Would this be correct? Also I am on an expired rental contract. Because I still rent all my receivers will Bell charge me for a service call? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If the SW44 is accecible, you could try swapping over a cable on the output. Leave all TV's on and disconnect Port 2, see which TV shows loss of signal, repeat for Ports 3 & 4. This way you will know which port is the one giving you the problems.

Port 1 has the Power Inserter, so diconnecting this at the Switch will cause all to go off.

Check connectors for corrosion etc.

Bell might charge for the SC but any replacement parts should be free.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It could be the switch or a bad cable due to water seepage and/or corrosion. Bell will replace any defective rental receivers without charge. Not sure about the service call.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All ports on switch appear active after switching outputs. My guess is it is the cable running from switch to receiver. I will try that next. I am hoping to avoid the dreaded call to Bell where I am run through all the various checks I have already done only to have to book a service call anyway.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Oh I know that feeling....lol

Worst case, as you now know which cable at the SW44 is the problem, you can just get a length of RG6 and replace it, less greif than calling Bell for sure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear yah Pinza. LOL I am going to try a light sanding of the various connections as well as checking the junction at the wall. There was a spark when I unscrewed the connector as the receiver was still powered. Don't know if this had any bearing on things but I will check. If this doesn't solve things I guess a Valium and a call to Bell is in order. LOL

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Just 1 Valium eh.? You don't call them as much as me, obviously.......lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SUCCESS!

Turns out it was the inside cable. A piece of furniture was pushed right up against the wall connection and had crimped it. Moved the furniture out slightly, straightened the cable and everything is now fine. If it goes again I will purchase a new cable but for now it works perfectly. Thanks to all for their inputs and Pinza, I will save that Valium for another time. LOL

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Gald to hear you are all up and running again without the headaches.....lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts