Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2465 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah, I just barely got the u-bolts over the 1 1/4 " ID pipe....I think the wall thickness is about 1/8", so I guess OD is about 1 1/2 inches....it jams nicely into a satellite dish mast, anyway.

I've never received 4-1.....don't even know what that channel is. looks like I will hafta go up about 4 feet as Yaamon suggested if I wanna pull in all the B'low channels with any consistencey.

:D

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
intrac 4-1 has been fine. Maybe you can try and rescan for that channel ?

Was showing some friends Csi tonight on 4-1 and 23-1 both had strong signals.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yaamon said:
intrac 4-1 has been fine. Maybe you can try and rescan for that channel ?

Was showing some friends Csi tonight on 4-1 and 23-1 both had strong signals.
4-1 came in this morning. First time in weeks. I didn't have to re-scan. It remained in my Channel Edit screen (a spread-sheet-like layout that shows the available channels after a scan).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just north of Toronto on 16th floor facing south

Refer my results for the 4221, including signal strength comparison with the RCA Indoor 30 db amplified antenna here:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=308871&postcount=249

Where signal strength was measured by the TV for SD, it was the same as the stations' HD channels. Channel 49 is clear except a little ghosting, but easy to watch. Very happy!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Comparing dougjp's antenna results - what a difference!

North of Toronto 16 floors up facing southwards
Sony 42A10

Results with RCA amplified indoor antenna

2.1 sometimes
4.1 sometimes
5.1 good
9.1 good
43.1 rarely without dropouts
53.1 good
66.1 good

5.1 and 9.1 had signal strength of 90 however the rest varied between 45 and 70 tops, with wide fluctuations.

Results with Channel Master 4221

All of these came in above 90 on the meter with proper aiming:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Results and Discussions

The new threads are now open to posting of Results and to discussing them. Stay on topic, and whenever possible make use of the generic threads dealing with antennas, gear, vendors, etc. so that we don't duplicate all that great info. Just direct people to the existing info threads or the READ THIS FIRST thread as often as possible.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
A install with a 4221

I did a install of a 4221 in Stouffville today with no preamp but a very short 40-50' cable run.

I mounted a 10' pole against the chimney with 5'extended with the antenna. Antenna was pointed at 180' with my compass.

Grounded the antenna and coax line with a 4' copper rod right into the ground, good thing the ground was not frozen solid.

Customer had a Sony KDFE42A10 tv with the built in atsc tuner all channels was coming in between 93 and 98%. Even Nbc was at 93% and Fox @98%.

Sun was at 92%. ALso tuned in analog WB49 very clear no ghost on the picture.

The customer will be happy watching Superbowl in high def with all the special $$ ads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OTA reception - Newmarket area

I live appr. 65-70 km north of CN Tower.
Just by using "borrowed" radio shack indoor/outdoor amplified antenna out of my first floor south window, I was able to receive CBC-HD quite nicely ( ~65 signal sterngth). Do you guys think it will be possible to receive Buffalo stations ( and the rest of the Toronto ones) by installing something better ?

Thx in advance

Peter Jozwiak

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
peterj Keswick is a little too far for Buffalo.A proper UHF would bring in Toronto stations.A tall tower would give you a chance at Buffalo.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Yep peterj. I think you're in deepest fringe for Buffalo. You will need a professional consult or site survey to get the Buffalo stations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
rob50312 said:
peterj Keswick is a little too far for Buffalo.A proper UHF would bring in Toronto stations.A tall tower would give you a chance at Buffalo.
rob50312,

Do you know anybody who does such site surveys ?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yaamon said:
I did a install of a 4221 in Stouffville today...
I live in the Stouffville area, and reception has always been great here on all channels but WNYO-DT. What street did you do the install on?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Its the street where the Tim Horton and Swiss Chalet/Harveys is on. ;)

The customer house backs on to a open field. Think Sandale Rd.

Sorry if I mislead but the customer only got WYNO on analog signal, plus analog Global, Omni 1 & 2, and a few more local channels all very clear with no ghosting.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ok, I go to that Tims all the time, I know the location. I'm about a mile further east on the south side of town. Stouffville is a really great area for OTA, especially reception of NBC. Its 99.9% consistent for me. I just use a cheap Rat Shack combo antenna mounted in my attic with a pre-amp to compensate for the cable run and it works great. Was that install you did able to receive WNYB that religious station? I get it about 50-50 but I know they are low power for now. Even WNYO-DT comes in from time to time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Stouffville (on Greenwood Rd)

You have a cheap antenna mounted in your attic, & you get WNYO-DT sometimes?

I'm also in Stouffville (on Greenwood Rd), & have a CM 4221 that I bought through Yaamon, mounted in my attic. Last Sat/Sun was the best day I've seen so far for reception. I had WXXI-DT coming in from Rochester, & WNLQ-DT from Erie Pennsylvania, but never have I had WNYO-DT come in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Reception in an attic is iffy.
First, the roof blocks a good portion of the signal. You're getting good distance (occassionally) because of DX. Don't count on getting these signals reliably if you want to watch these stations on a regular basis.

Second, you still need good height and a gain antenna to get these stations on a regular basis. The old rule of "line of sight" still applies. (Line of sight not necessarily meaning visual line of sight).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think if you check on a regular basis, you will see WNYO-DT does come in from time to time. I've never checked for WQLN-DT Erie, but I do see WXXI-DT quite often in the summer along with WUHF-DT as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
North of the QEW between Ford Drive and Eighth Line

Hi Yaamon,

I will try a CM preamp - if I can find one locally and have it shipped to the house.

Actually, the 4221 is sitting in the corner of my family room at the moment, pulling in the major Buffalo stations at full strength - as well as CBC and CTV at full power. We are just north or the QEW between Ford Drive and Eigth Line - so we ar eon a bit of a hill. I am shocked at the signal here.

The cable run will be very short when it is nounted - likely less than 40 feet.

I plan to mount on my chimney this weekend and aim at Buffalo - as CBC and CTV have great strength under this scenario. If I must sacrifice City TV, so be it. I wonder if I could buy another 4221 to point to Toronto? Would a cheap signal combiner work in this scenario?

I won't got that route until I see if this 4221 will get City HD when pointed to Toronto.

41 - 60 of 2465 Posts