Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2461 - 2480 of 2497 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
What are you using as a combiner? Is it a basic splitter?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Then as Jorgek pointed out to you, your combining may or may not work.
Nobody can guarantee for the reason he pointed out in post #2456,
I would skip the combiner between the two antenna arrays and instead use
an A/B Switch to flip between the two directions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Then as Jorgek pointed out to you, your combining may or may not work.
Nobody can guarantee for the reason he pointed out in post #2456,
The only time the coax must be identical is when the 2 antennas are identical and pointing in the same direction. What you are trying to do may not work because of signals from the 2 antennas will most likely be out of phase and cancel each other out.
I saw a post in another (maybe this?) forum where somebody tried jumpers in 1 inch increments until they got the length (and phasing) just right when combining two antennae.

I would skip the combiner between the two antenna arrays and instead use
an A/B Switch to flip between the two directions.
That's actually a good fallback option. A little less user-friendly than I was hoping, but manageable.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
let's clarify so you are understanding this correctly.
The two jumpers for combining the two horizontally ganged 4 bay antennas DO need to be electrically the same length prior to combining. That's because the two antennas to be combined are identical. The jumpers between the output of the combined 4 bays, and the uhf yagi DO NOT need to be electrically identical. That's because the antennas being combined at that second combiner aren't identical and won't matter.
That is what Jorgek was trying to get across to you. Can be a crapshoot... Might work for you, and might not and is unpredictable.

BTW, the Horizontal stacking distance is ~27" center to center on the antennas direct dB8e 8 bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I watch one station. I cringe when I get my rogers Bill. Is anyone having success with OTA in Newmarket Area, I need to get CTV, NBC, ABC and CBS. With COVID I can not justify the money for maybe 1 hours worth of TV watching.
Cheers all
Ivan

·
Super Moderator
56,742 Posts
@IvanReel : I've moved your post to this existing thread. Please read the following welcome thread, along with earlier recent posts in this thread. Then post your TVFool or similar into your next post.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's a bit spotty to get those American networks that far out. If you are only watching 1hr per day what is special about the American networks over the Canadian ones, they carry almost all the same new programming except some weekend sports and reruns. Most people would want the American signals for the subchannels which don't even exist on cable TV.

But yes, provide a rabbitears or tvfool report and we can get a better picture of your location.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Location: northeast part of Markham near 16th/McCowan. So far so good! I finally got around to mounting my antenna mast on the roof, and ran a quick test to make sure I was getting at least some signal before finishing the project.

The 8-bay is pointed at Hamilton (so it also picks up the CN Tower 10 degrees to the east), and the yagi is pointed straight north (for now, until I hook the rotor up to power). No amplification of any kind so far. I do have an indoor distribution splitter/amp that I plan to use, and I'll wait and see about an outdoor mast preamp.

Results so far: 22 channels, including several from upstate New York, though some are a bit choppy and pixelated. Most surprisingly, I am getting ION clearly even with the yagi pointed in the totally wrong direction.

FWIW, I am only planning to use the yagi for "off axis" channels (i.e. not Toronto or Hamilton) and not to try to boost the 8-bay. That said, I did try to do the math on cable lengths so the two antennas (despite being completely different types) wouldn't cancel out even if pointed in the same direction. If I got it right, great. If I got it wrong, no big deal since they'll never be used in that configuration.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yes, 2 different antennas pointed in the same direction will receive stations out of phase and cause cancellation issues if combined together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, 2 different antennas pointed in the same direction will receive stations out of phase and cause cancellation issues if combined together.
Once I finish this project and get the rotator powered up, I'll be able to report some findings back to the group

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just lost CTV2 (channel 10 Barrie) and CTV ) (channel 8 Toronto)
I am receiving 89% signal strength on CTV2 and 100 % quality, black screen.

I am receiving 0% on CTV Toronto.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just lost CTV2 (channel 10 Barrie) and CTV ) (channel 8 Toronto)
I am receiving 89% signal strength on CTV2 and 100 % quality, black screen.

I am receiving 0% on CTV Toronto.

Anyone else?
Very interesting to see this. Last evening I lost my 2 VHF channels (CFPL 10 London and CKCO 13 Kitchener) in the same manner. Full strong signal and a black screen. Anyone else found this? Both channels were back after a few hours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very interesting to see this. Last evening I lost my 2 VHF channels (CFPL 10 London and CKCO 13 Kitchener) in the same manner. Full strong signal and a black screen. Anyone else found this? Both channels were back after a few hours.

I noticed Kitchener was down when I turned on the TV about 17:45, to watch the CTV News Kitchener at 5. The Sony TV mentioned that the signal couldn't be decoded. After finding the same no reception, but good signal on the TV, and two PVRs, and not being able to receive the news on the computer, I soon realised that there was a major problem.

Kitchener came back at 19:15/19:20, last night. It died again at midnight, but for how long, I don't know.

CTV Facebook post 19 hours ago

We experienced a power outage at our broadcast facility in Scarborough tonight affecting local CTV and CTV2 stations east of Winnipeg & our specialty channels. Websites and digital services were also impacted. Power has been restored & the return of broadcasting is expected soon.

and

Bell Media says a power outage at one of its facilities in Ontario affected TV and other services across much of Canada.
The company says in a statement issued Monday evening that the outage at the broadcast facility in Scarborough knocked CTV and CTV2 stations east of Winnipeg off the air, as well as the company's specialty channels.
It says websites and digital services were also impacted.
Bell says power has been restored.
Normal broadcasting was expected to resume soon, it said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 5, 2020

·
Registered
65 Posts
I noticed Kitchener was down when I turned on the TV about 17:45, to watch the CTV News Kitchener at 5. The Sony TV mentioned that the signal couldn't be decoded. After finding the same no reception, but good signal on the TV, and two PVRs, and not being able to receive the news on the computer, I soon realised that there was a major problem.

Kitchener came back at 19:15/19:20, last night. It died again at midnight, but for how long, I don't know.

CTV Facebook post 19 hours ago

We experienced a power outage at our broadcast facility in Scarborough tonight affecting local CTV and CTV2 stations east of Winnipeg & our specialty channels. Websites and digital services were also impacted. Power has been restored & the return of broadcasting is expected soon.

and

Bell Media says a power outage at one of its facilities in Ontario affected TV and other services across much of Canada.
The company says in a statement issued Monday evening that the outage at the broadcast facility in Scarborough knocked CTV and CTV2 stations east of Winnipeg off the air, as well as the company's specialty channels.
It says websites and digital services were also impacted.
Bell says power has been restored.
Normal broadcasting was expected to resume soon, it said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 5, 2020
Thank you very much for this info Clique of One - appreciate it. Mystery solved

·
Registered
17 Posts
Location: Newmarket, just south of Davis Dr, and west of Yonge Street.

I am back again and considering OTA with a Tivo Bolt OTA for antenna and a DB8e antenna mounted hear the top of the chimney or roof of a 2 story home. Looking for advice from anyone in the Newmarket area who has a OTA installation and what results you have got as far as reception goes. Am I too far North of the CN Tower?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is (routine) reception of Erie PA stations at all feasible from York Region, or is that a pipe dream?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you are referring to WBBZ, then it will be a challenge requiring a high gain VHF yagi antenna!

2461 - 2480 of 2497 Posts