Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2461 - 2465 of 2465 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
What are you using as a combiner? Is it a basic splitter?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Then as Jorgek pointed out to you, your combining may or may not work.
Nobody can guarantee for the reason he pointed out in post #2456,
I would skip the combiner between the two antenna arrays and instead use
an A/B Switch to flip between the two directions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Then as Jorgek pointed out to you, your combining may or may not work.
Nobody can guarantee for the reason he pointed out in post #2456,
The only time the coax must be identical is when the 2 antennas are identical and pointing in the same direction. What you are trying to do may not work because of signals from the 2 antennas will most likely be out of phase and cancel each other out.
I saw a post in another (maybe this?) forum where somebody tried jumpers in 1 inch increments until they got the length (and phasing) just right when combining two antennae.

I would skip the combiner between the two antenna arrays and instead use
an A/B Switch to flip between the two directions.
That's actually a good fallback option. A little less user-friendly than I was hoping, but manageable.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
let's clarify so you are understanding this correctly.
The two jumpers for combining the two horizontally ganged 4 bay antennas DO need to be electrically the same length prior to combining. That's because the two antennas to be combined are identical. The jumpers between the output of the combined 4 bays, and the uhf yagi DO NOT need to be electrically identical. That's because the antennas being combined at that second combiner aren't identical and won't matter.
That is what Jorgek was trying to get across to you. Can be a crapshoot... Might work for you, and might not and is unpredictable.

BTW, the Horizontal stacking distance is ~27" center to center on the antennas direct dB8e 8 bay.

2461 - 2465 of 2465 Posts