Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2441 - 2460 of 2465 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the OTA reception is like in Newmarket Ontario? I am considering changing from Rogers and want to get an idea of what is feasible as far as reception is concerned.

Thank you for all replies,
Bill in Newmarket Ontario

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am in the north end of Newmarket and I get about 30 watchable channels.
Recently the power was decreased on some american channels,
however now it seems that there is more power on ION TV, PBS, and MYTV. (probably due to the channel repack)
They are coming in strong, most days whereas ABC, CBS and sometimes NBC are difficult to receive.

I have read is that these channels are using a temporary tower that is lower in height.
Hopefully once the channel repack is complete they will return to normal.
In 2016 I used to get ABC and CBS reliably every single day.

I live on a hill, have a good antenna mounted on a mast, on the roof, a good amplifier, excellent cable and every connector was cleaned with alcohol on assembly.
I just installed an antenna rotator so now I can fine tune NBC, YESTV and CHCH.

If you use an attic mount antenna, you will probably only get 6 Canadian stations.
It also depends on your antenna height, elevation, etc..

For me this is enough TV.
If I was going to pay for Bell TV, then I would get CTV on 50+ stations and the rest of the filler (crap stations nobody ever watches for $80/month)

Now I get two CTV channels which is more than enough CTV for me.

Here is the list of channels I receive:
2-1 WGRZ (NBC)
2-2 Antenna TV
2-3 Justice TV
2-4 Quest
3-1 CKVR (CTV-2)
4-1 WVIB (CBS)
4-2 Court TV
5-1 CBC
7-2 Laff TV
7-3 Escape TV
9-1 CFTO (CTV)
11-1 CHCH
14-1 Yes TV
17-1 WNED (PBS)
17-2 Create
17-3 PBS Kids
19-1 TVO (TV Ontario)
23-1 WNLO
23-2 Bounce
25-1 CBC French
29-1 WUTV (FOX)
29-2 TBD
29-3 Charge
40-1 CJMT (Omni2)
41-1 Global TV
47-1 CFMT (Omni)
49-1 MyTV Buffalo
49-2 Stadium
49-3 Comet
49-4 GETTV
51-1 WPXJ (IONTV)
51-2 Qubo
51-3 Ion plus
51-4 Shop
51-5 QVC
51-6 HSN
57-1 CityTV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I m located just south of Davis Drive and just west of Yonge Street. Not sure if this is a high as you are. My thoughts were to get the following:

Tivo BOLT OTA PVR from Amazon Canada
A suitable good quality HD antenna
Internet service from someone other than Rogers
Internet home phone from other than Rogers
Subscribe to services like Acorn and Netflix for other programming

I am thinking this might suit us for our needs but am uncertain of the reception OTA from my home. It is a two story home and I could have the antenna mounted high at the back of the house outside.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't buy that PVR. I have read that it cannot be used in Canada!

I have a Channel Master DRV+ that works well (except for the guide is always wrong lately)
But there is no subscription. There are streaming subscription channels on this DVR and some free ones but they aren't good.
It has a youtube app but it is very troublesome, and seems to lock up the DVR so badly that you have to unplug the power cord for the dvr,
and wait a long time for it to reboot. I called Channel master regarding this but they just gave me the runaround. I think they are trying to
back out of the promised lifetime free Channel Guide subscription.

We record everything in HD, then watch it whenever. The cost for this unit is higher but there are no fees. It also has two tuners.
This DVR is discontinued, but you may still find one somewhere. Channel Master released a newer DVR with android OS, but the reviews aren't good.

If I could find another DVR that has these features and works well, I would buy it. I am not interested paying for the subscription just to get a TV guide.

They are now installing Bell Fibe lines in my area so we will soon have a choice between Rogers and Bell for internet. I have a feeling the prices are going down once Rogers has some competition.

I have an Antennas Direct DB8e, great antenna!
I have learned not to compromise on the antenna and just buy the best one you can find.
Where you live is a lot lower, you would most likely need an amplifier if you want to get any Buffalo channels.
There is no way to predict what channels you will get, just buy the best antenna and install it as high as you can
with good connectors properly crimped and cleaned (cleaning is very important).

If you can live with a voip for home phone, you can get a Linksys PAP2T phone adapter.
I use it with freephoneline.ca. I paid one time fee for the SIP info and have been using this for 5 years now.
No monthly charges, unlimited talk in Canada.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you tried at all to receive CHEX-DT Peterborough? on CH-12. I can get it just south east of Newmarket.
Yes i can get it but I have to move my antenna to the east, then i lose everything else.
It's not worth it, CTV Toronto (CFTO) is the same as CHEX in terms of programming.

I have a VHF antenna for CTV2 (Barrie) and CTV (Toronto). Never a problem with this antenna. Always 100% signal strength and 100% signal quality.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Actually their are some minor differences with CHEX and CFTO, mostly just the local news and some other late night stuff is different.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Anyone notice the signal on WKBW is super strong now on RF34, I'm thinking they completed their rebuild and are now at full height and power. Can anyone confirm this? Its literally overloading my analyzer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Questions about antenna stacking and azimuth angle sensitivity

Hi all, newbie to the OTA world, but I've been trying to read up on things and figure out a good design for my setup.

I am located in Markham, ON in the area northeast of McCowan and 16th. That puts me less than 20 miles from the CN Tower, and ~90 miles from Batavia NY.

I plan to install on a mast above my rooftop (unobstructed views all around and I can get 35-40 feet above ground level), but for various reasons it won't be easy for me to make adjustments once it's up. This is a one-shot deal. For that reason, I'm planning to have an 8-bay aimed toward the CN tower (including Hamilton just 10 degrees further west), with a directional Yagi stacked vertically on top of that, on a rotator.

I figure that using an 8-bay within 20 miles of the CN Tower, exact aim will not be critical even if I'm I'm off 10 or 20 degrees. By putting the yagi on a rotator, I can tweak to my heart's content trying to get the upstate NY channels including ION. I can even try to pick up Peterborough or Kitchener if I somehow decide that would be fun.

I've already bought the two antennas (it's the brand that will make everyone on this forum roll their eyes, but done is done) and FWIW the manufacturer specs for the 8-bay are 60 degree beam width, and the yagi is 37 degree beam width. That means the 8-bay pointed directly at Toronto won't really pick up Buffalo, and vise versa for the yagi.

Some questions:

- am I correct in assuming that aim is not critical for receiving Toronto stations from Markham?

- I understand that I need to get the cable lengths identical coming into the combiner from the two antennae. But how do I measure the "start" of the coax run from the 8-bay? Does the measurement start where the signal originates (in either of the two stacked 4-bay elements), or does the measurement start at the combiner that's built into the 8-bay design?

- given my planned setup, how much do I even care about multipathing? Even if I completely screw up the cable lengths and phasing, can I just rotate my way out of trouble?

- what do people typically do about lightning and grounding?

Thanks all. Looking forward to cutting the cord with my provider.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Go here and look at what a typical 8Bay (two 4 bays ganged side by side) looks like antenna pattern wise. See Page 2.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/Technical Data PDF's/DB8E-TDS.pdf

I suspect your antenna, while not the same mfr and model, will do something similar as long as of similar design and construction.

Note there will a main lobe and two smaller gain side lobes.

Take the main Lobe and aim it to the distant stations that you are interested in. Don't worry about the local stations for now. Keep the two smaller lobes in mind when aiming, meaning u should be able to tell where they are as you pan the antenna around. You should be able to aim the Main lobe at Buffalo and the minor lobe or even nulls at the CN Tower.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result_map&sort=dbmv&unit=m&suppoff=N&sslimit=N&study_id=88230&opkey=P

·
Registered
218 Posts
if your only 20 miles away from the cn tower you don't need to aim at the cn tower at all .i sugest that you aim your 8 bay antenna towards niagra falls.that way you should be able to get hamilton easy and buffula 29,wden and channel 49 as they are all situlated in niagra falls ny.when your that close to cn tower the signal strenght will besuper strong that aimming your antenna at the cn tower will cause major overload and will cause any weaker stations such as buffalo not be recievable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep the two smaller lobes in mind when aiming, meaning u should be able to tell where they are as you pan the antenna around.
Thanks. Lots of good info here, but as I mentioned I'm going to have difficulty with the "pan around" part. I'm going to have to set the antenna angle before I hoist everything into the air, and there will be no panning happening after that (unless it's with a rotator).

It sounds like you're saying I should skip the 2nd antenna and skip the idea of stacking.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The 8 bay which is a UHF antenna may have a problem receiving CFTO rf 8 because it is in the VHF spectrum especially if you aim the 8 bay at Buffalo.
I had to add a VHF dipole to my 4221 HD which is aimed at Grand Island to get a solid signal from CFTO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I understand that I need to get the cable lengths identical coming into the combiner from the two antennae. But how do I measure the "start" of the coax run from the 8-bay? Does the measurement start where the signal originates (in either of the two stacked 4-bay elements), or does the measurement start at the combiner that's built into the 8-bay design?
Quoting myself here ... Any guidance on this specific question?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The only time the coax must be identical is when the 2 antennas are identical and pointing in the same direction. What you are trying to do may not work because of signals from the 2 antennas will most likely be out of phase and cancel each other out.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Missing a critical piece of information What frequency band is the yagi for?
You also need to determine the optimum horizontal separation, center to center
of the two 4 bays. That is why I referred u to the antennas direct manual.
I feel people put too much effort in reinventing the wheel and just cause themselves
problems. Good luck with optimizing from the ground before the antenna even goes up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Missing a critical piece of information What frequency band is the yagi for?
It's the Digiwave ANT-2190 UHF.

You also need to determine the optimum horizontal separation, center to center
of the two 4 bays.
The 8-bay antenna comes as a complete unit with cross members (joining the two 4-bays) already included. I'm going to assume the manufacturer chose that specific length (of cross member) for a reason. Is it common practice to customize the horizontal separation of these units?

I feel people put too much effort in reinventing the wheel and just cause themselves
problems.
Yeah that's a bit of a habit of mine when I dive into a new hobby or problem domain. Core requirements I'm trying to solve with the approach I've chosen:

- rock solid reception of Toronto (hopefully Hamilton) stations all the time, good weather or bad

- ability to get NY stations. Not looking to break any records, just the main stuff out of Buffalo and hopefully Batavia

- minimal/zero need to go back up to the mast head after initial install.

2441 - 2460 of 2465 Posts