Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2421 - 2440 of 2465 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
What I do is aim the antenna at Buffalo (precisely) and the Toronto stations will still come in.

I peak the antenna using a receiver and small TV up on the roof to get the most signal on the weakest Buffalo station.

Maybe now is not the time to go up on the roof and do it. Wait for the ice to melt!

I have a juice preamp and an Antennas Direct DB8E antenna. I live North of you, in Newmarket.
You might have more problems with an amp, the only way is to try it. Make sure there is nothing else in the cable between the preamp and amplifier power supply and ensure you are using good RG6 cable and the connectors are properly crimped. Even clean each connector with isopropyl alcohol.

Currently the only US stations 100% working (for me) are WKBW (ABC) and its extra stations. I have a friend in Markham that has most of the US stations trouble free (most of the time) so you should be able to at least improve your setup.

I used to get FOX29, CBS, and Bounce 100% but since they changed the tower it is frustrating to watch, unless it's very late at night.
Even NBC is better than FOX and CBS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking for advice to improve reception.

This is my TV Fool report.
TV Fool

Basically my current setup is a Channel Master 4221 8 ft above ground to CN Tower.

Currently I'm limited to CBC, TVO, Global, OMNI, CityTV, French CBC.

I wonder if upgrading hardware (new antenna, juice amplifier, VHF kit) and/or relocate antenna will improve signal reception.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ken
8 feet! Seriously? That's like me standing at my front door (ground level) and holding an antenna over my head. Exactly how are distant (Buffalo) TV transmission signals going to reach that antenna when there are thousands of houses. trees and buildings higher than 8 feet blocking the signal?

Get a 4228 8-bay channel master and put it on the roof (or get it at least 25 feet off the ground if you are not in a house), second best is putting it in an attic on a two-story house. Height, and unobstructed line-of-sight, is the determining factor.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I normally lose 7.1 ABC in my area during the winter season.

I'm curious if others are still experiencing problems with WLNO (23.1) and CBS (4.1)? They've pretty much become useless to me since the changes they were doing last Fall whereas they used to be rock solid in the past. I don't know if my antenna has moved slightly or not but wondering if others in Woodbridge/Maple area are experiencing the same?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lobo, look at the previous page of this thread, I was asking more or less the same thing. Turns out there was more than just changing frequencies last summer. Both CBS 4.1 and CW 23.1 are now together on 23.1 (virtual) which is UHF 36 (physical channel). But at the moment the transmitter is not at full height or full power.

Anyway do look in the previous page of this thread for the info by rabbit73

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know what’s the latest on Global/OMNI/CityTV? I haven’t been able to get reception since December. I’ve seen on another forum say the power is down, and I know they’re not due for repack until Spring. I’m north of Toronto. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone know what’s the latest on Global/OMNI/CityTV? I haven’t been able to get reception since December. I’ve seen on another forum say the power is down, and I know they’re not due for repack until Spring. I’m north of Toronto. Thanks for any help.
Twotter ... I am experiencing the same thing. I thought it was a bad antennae setup. What forum did you read about the under power?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m happy for you DSS, but no. I’m 90km north, and tried different setups to no avail, until I learned others have the same issue that are much further south than me in the GTA. I’m trying to find another site I saw that posted the power output over the last month, and it was way down.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, they are still broadcasting but definitely at reduced power. I don't believe it is your setup, contrary to the previous post. They most definitely changed something.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I believe they are broadcasting from First Canadian Place at slightly lower power.
Rabbit Ears shows CITY for example broadcasting at 15kw instead of the normal 21Kw.
Global normally at 100kw is down to 34kw.
But the height is about 600 feet lower.
I imagine this is happening as they get their new antennas installed on the CN tower for repack.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone have contact info for the engineers at Global Toronto and City TV. Would like to ask them what's going on with their OTA broadcast. When can "we" expect the signal strength to be back?

2421 - 2440 of 2465 Posts