Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2401 - 2420 of 2465 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Warpax

I am not far from you in Bradford. In an attic installation, I would suggest that you install an antenna that has a higher gain rating in order to overcome the loss of signal due to the roof materials.

The DB4E has a rated gain of 14 db for UHF signals. An Antennas Direct VHF add-on kit would secure CTV Toronto (rf9) as well as CTV-2 Barrie (rf10)
You would need a j-pole to mount it and perhaps a pre-amp if our cable run is long or if you will be splitting the signal to multiple sets.

The Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A is a tidy package that is more easily installed but will not perform as well IMO as a DB4e with an Antennas Direct VHF add-on kit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes, I receive all Buffalo stations except for WBBZ 67 (rf7).
Reception is not 100% reliable as some transmitters are 115 miles away. but still very good. WNLO 23, WNED 17, WUTV 29, and WIVB 4 are the strongest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WUTV

So I've got my DB4e set-up in the attic. - approx 30 ft above ground.
Installed the VHF kit and a Juice Amplifier.

All of the Toronto networks are coming in beautifully as well as CKVR out of Barrie. I successfully got WNLO out of Buffalo, but I'm having a fair bit of trouble picking up WUTV (FOX) or any of the other American networks.

I'd really like to pick up the FOX network.

Here is my TV Fool report. TV Fool

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
warpax

Sorry to hear that you are not receiving your targeted channels. In re-reading my responses to you, I may have given you the impression that I was receiving Buffalo channels with a DB4e in the attic. In fact I have a db8e on the roof which brings alot more signal into the equation. However, try these two things:

1)Have you carefully followed the JUICE pre-amp instructions? The pre-amp should be mounted at the antenna. Check to make sure that you are powering the unit as well. A mis-installed pre-amp can act as an attenuator. You may even try removing the pre-amp.

2) I assume that you have tried aiming the antenna to optimize Buffalo channels- about 160 degrees from your location.

Had I known that getting Fox 29 as well as other Buffalos were important to you, I would have recommended the DB8e (two DB4Es combined). Even so, it' s hard to say that the extra 3db of signal that an antenna upgrade brings would make Buffalo channels appear.
Perhaps your retailer would exchange the db4e for a db8e. Some asssembly would need to take place in the attic.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
So I've got my DB4e set-up in the attic.....I successfully got WNLO out of Buffalo, but I'm having a fair bit of trouble picking up WUTV (FOX) or any of the other American networks.
Hello, warpax
WUTV is a lot weaker than WNLO; it will be very difficult for you to pick up. The tvfool FAQ says for the color in the report:

Yellow
An attic-mounted antenna is probably needed to pick up channels at this level and above
Red
A roof-mounted antenna is probably needed to pick up channels at this level and above
Grey
These channels are very weak and will most likely require extreme measures to try and pick them up

WUTV is in the grey.

FAQ:
TV Fool

WUTV is on RF channel (real) 14. Most UHF antennas have the lowest gain at the low end of the UHF band. As chinadog mentioned, the DB8E is your last resort, because Antennas Direct redesigned the DB4E and the DB8E when UHF was limited to 14 to 51, giving them a little more gain for 14. It is not known if the DB8E would give you enough extra gain to make a difference.

You are on the fringe of coverage for WUTV. Note that only 55kW out of 1000kW ERP is sent your way because of the WUTV directional antenna as a result of the non-interference agreement with Canada.

The FCC Longley-Rice coverage shows no signal for your area:

Link to FCC map:
http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1158091&map=Y

The only other thing I can think of is to tilt the antenna to aim above the horizontal to catch the signals coming down from the peak. This would be a custom mod for a bowtie antenna and might not be as effective in the attic as outside. The 91XG and HDB91X have a tilt feature, but probably have less gain for 14.

Have you tried different locations in the attic for the antenna to find a hot spot for the signal?

WUTV will be moving to channel 36 after repack is settled; that might help as far as antenna gain is concerned:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=wutv

They have filed an application for channel 36 that shows a little less power with Elliptical Polarization, which might help.
http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=415

Moving the antenna outside would help, but might not guarantee 100% reliable reception.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Unfortunately you are probably just too far away to get Buffalo stations reliably.
Fox has a weak signal to the north, so it may be the hardest.
WNLO has the strongest signal.
During Winter things get worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Curious how others in the Woodbridge/Maple area of Vaughan are making out in pulling in ABC (7.1) and NBC (2.1)? For years I've tried to get these last two to come in but I think my particular area (street?) is just not meant to have it.

Decided to use this weekend to tinker around again so I went out and bought a new preamp (Juice) to replace my older HDP-269, get a VHF kit and swap my CM-4228HD with the DB8 I had used in the past. Last year I put the CM-4228HD back up just to change things up but I think I should always go with the DB8.

Anyways, tried the new preamp with the DB8 but nada. I couldn't even get those two channels to pull in a strong enough signal with my laptop and usb tuner directly plugged into the antenna (bypassing the preamp). Moved it around all I could and it's like it wasn't even there. NBC would come in every now and then but mostly pixelated. Oddly enough CBS (4.1) comes in super strong and 17.1, 23.1, 29.1 also are strong enough that they're solid channels for watching tv. There are no other US stations I can get unless I start moving the antenna westwards to pull in 26.1 but then it affects the other US channels so I decided not to go for that. FYI, I have the antenna on a 10 ft pole so it all sits about 25-30 ft from the ground next to the chimney.

So how do the rest of you do?

TV Fool report:
TV Fool

Lobo
Hi Lobo,

Its been a while since I've logged into forum. I have had my 4228HD on my roof for close to 10 years and all is still working.

The Canadian Channels 5.1, 9.1, 19.1,41.1, 57.1 and some others are a given the American Channels are typically good though at times they are a right off like 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, 17.7, 29.1 etc.

Overall, when the system is working right it is great. At times when I'm watching an American station and it cuts in and out...its a pain.

I accept it for what its worth. All and all, I am still using OTA and have weaned myself off of cable. At times I am out of town or at friends place with cable... its nice, lots of selection, quality is good...but I can live without it.

As an aside I have Netflix and Kodi to compliment OTA for TV viewing.

OTA is not a perfect system, it reminds me of good'ol days with antenna but with much better quality.

Fifth Man

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vaughan ON Reception

Hi

I am hoping to get some advice about OTA reception in Vaughan.

https://bit.ly/2P2au3x

The link is the tv fool report i did my home. I am north of Highway 7 at Weston Rd.

I have a DB8e - I tried a Juice amplifier but it received the number of channels. I believe that the pointing may be off.

The report states that I should get 23 out of buffalo with no issues but I do not receive it at all.

Does anyone else have a set up in Vaughan and how many channels can you realistically receive from buffalo

thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the exact same setup. DB8E and juice amp.

I am further North than you , at Hwy 9.
I usually get WKBW (ABC) and WUTV (FOX) 90% of the time.

Since WIVB (CBS) changed location to real ch 32, it is unreliable.
NBC is usually unreliable.

I did have to peak the antenna.
Fine tune the antenna so you get the best signal on WUTV (FOX) and the rest should come in.

Forget CBS, NBC. Just too far away

·
Registered
75 Posts
WNLO

Has anyone had issues with WNLO since they changed their broadcast channel this year? I don't recall exactly when they changed. WNLO is on virtual 23.1, and used to be on physical channel 32, but sometime during the summer of 2019 they changed to physical 36, and FOX (WUTV) moved to 32. My NPVR setup on my PC kept getting stuff from the FOX channel when I was expecting recordings from WNLO. Anyway once I figured out the channel changes, my recordings got straightened out, but now that the summer is over I'm having difficulty pulling in WNLO.

My antenna is a CM 4228 in my attic. I have a pre-amp in the attic. Don't recall the model but it's a low noise figure one from Kitz Tech. Installed circa 2010-2011.

I wonder if the broadcast is at lower power than before. I am able to get FOX on the TV which is in the basement, so it seems to be related to the specific channel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes WNLO is unwatchable also WIVB and WUTV, I heard it was temporary possibly using a shorter tower or something. Hopefully it gets better soon. I had to pay for cable in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Yes WNLO is unwatchable also WIVB and WUTV, I heard it was temporary possibly using a shorter tower or something. Hopefully it gets better soon. I had to pay for cable in the meantime.
They have Special Temporary Authority (STA) for lower power with the antenna at a lower height and a different antenna pattern:
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=71905

WIVB is a guest on the WNLO transmitter.
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=wivb

WIVB sold their license:
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=US&city=&state=&mktid=63&owner=&sort=&ph=&lss=&status=

WUTV also has STA, the antenna is a little lower and the tower coordinates are a little different.
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=415

43.025611, -78.928361 Main
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 1666' 508m
43.030056, -78.920583 STA
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 1581' 481.9m

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very interesting, rabbit, thanks for the info.

How do you interpret the info on that page? I see a construction permit for the installation of the transmitter at the higher elevation, and this permit expires in July 2022 (egads!).

On the other hand, the STA expires January 29 2020, does that indicate when WNLO believes they'll be back up full height and power?

Edit: just googled a bit and found the application letter from WUTV requesting the STA in July 2019, with a 6 month duration, which matches up with January 2019. So this would be when WUTV plans on having their facilities ready. It doesn't mention anything about WNLO though.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Edit: just googled a bit and found the application letter from WUTV requesting the STA in July 2019, with a 6 month duration, which matches up with January 2019. So this would be when WUTV plans on having their facilities ready. It doesn't mention anything about WNLO though.
The WNLO STA would be a separate search through the maze of FCC files:
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=71905

scroll down to WNLO STA transmitter

click on CDBS: Application List

scroll down to File Number 0000078676 STA

click on LMApplication

open ReferenceCopy.pdf

which is DTV Engineering STA Application 07/26/2019

scroll down to Attachments

click on Purpose of WNLO-D36 STA.pdf

PURPOSE OF ENGINEERING STA
The purpose of this Engineering STA application is to allow the WNLO-DT full-service broadcast facility to temporarily operate with alternate parameters under its current authorization (0000075350) on Channel 36. The proposed STA shall operate using a side-mounted directional interim antenna (TFU-24WB C160) with an ERP of 560 kW and a radiation center height of 207.9 m AGL (682 ft) in order for the WNLO-DT facility to remain on the air and continue serving the public. The proposed interim facility will temporarily operate with alternate parameters that deviate from the station’s authorization; however, the interim facility’s F(50,90) 48.0 dBuV/m contour will completely encompass the Buffalo, NY community of license and the interim facility’s F(50,90) 40.86 dBuV/m contour will not exceed the WNLO-D36 authorized F(50,90) 40.86 dBuV/m protected noise limited contour in any azimuthal direction (see showing below).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I see... the info in the docs related to the WUTV and WNLO STAs dovetail with each other, as it should, since this was a coordinated channel swap.

Only reason I'm bringing this up is because reception of WNLO has become non-existent for me, so I hope it comes back at the end of January.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking for advice to improve reception.

This is my TV Fool report.
TV Fool

Basically my current setup is a Channel Master 4221 8 ft above ground to CN Tower.

Currently I'm limited to CBC, TVO, Global, OMNI, CityTV, French CBC.

I wonder if upgrading hardware (new antenna, juice amplifier, VHF kit) and/or relocate antenna will improve signal reception.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The TV Fool database is at least 2 years out-of-date.
Using the tools at Rabbitears.info is now the preferred mehod.

That said, a 4-bay UHF only antenna at ground level is going to limit your options.

A VHF kit (or even an FM ribbon antenna) might improve your chances on receiving CFTO/CTV on channel 8.

I'd need a new RabbitEars.info result to comment further on your UHF prospects.
Can you do something to increase the height of the antenna at your location?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The TV Fool database is at least 2 years out-of-date.
Using the tools at Rabbitears.info is now the preferred mehod.

That said, a 4-bay UHF only antenna at ground level is going to limit your options.

A VHF kit (or even an FM ribbon antenna) might improve your chances on receiving CFTO/CTV on channel 8.

I'd need a new RabbitEars.info result to comment further on your UHF prospects.
Can you do something to increase the height of the antenna at your location?
Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I've got and based on the info. I pretty much gets what I can get already.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=29164

Ken

2401 - 2420 of 2465 Posts