Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just thought I'd add that I have also lost NBC sometime in the past couple of months. All other stations in Buffalo and Toronto are fine, but I can't get over 3 bars on NBC, and no signal lock.

I've sat with the rotor and slowly gone through a very wide angle with no success.

CM4221
Samy T451
South Etobicoke

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
NBC (WGRZ) is the hardest buffalo station to pick up for several reasons. One is the height of there tower... they are on a shorter tower then WKBW and WIVB. Next is there transmit power has been limited because the channel they use 33 is in conflict with a yet to operate CBC transmitter in Barrie, Ontario slated to use the same channel. You can thank Industry Canada for that one!

The sad fact is that WGRZ was once the easiest channel out of Buffalo to pick up with there channel 2 analog signal. Now when they go 100% digital they will remain on channel 33 and thing will only get worst when the CBC transmitter come on the air on the same channel.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Brewmaser said:
Just thought I'd add that I have also lost NBC sometime in the past couple of months. All other stations in Buffalo and Toronto are fine, but I can't get over 3 bars on NBC, and no signal lock.

South Etobicoke
SC/Cancom is using a Delhi Flying Arrow atop their building at Sheridan Park to get WGRZ-DT. I've only seen 1 night of pixelation since they put it on 4 months ago. But they are probably 30 or feet higher than you and that can make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Mark2074 I think you should try a channel master or winegard preamp.If that does not fix wgrz then you will have move the antenna higher.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
One thing I've always wanted to try that might fix the problem would be to use 2 identical antennas but place them apart at different ends of your home. The cables from each antenna would have to be the exact length to a combiner with amp. This type of antenna is known as a differential antenna array. Since UHF signals are known to scatter at times.. then when one antenna loses signal there is a good chance the other may still have a good signal... this might just work.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
gg22 said:
HDTV101,
How is your WGRZ reception with the Winegard PR-9032?
It all depends... some times weeks go by with no problem at all... then I'll have nights with drop-outs. ABC and CBS are never a problem... just NBC [WGRZ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
HDTV101 said:
It all depends... some times weeks go by with no problem at all... then I'll have nights with drop-outs. ABC and CBS are never a problem... just NBC [WGRZ]
Same thing for me. When weather fronts change a certain way on 2 ocassions this has happened.

Although when it is very cold, and the wind is howeling from the NW, the signal goes up to 8 bars! Go figure!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Mark2074 said:
Same thing for me. When weather fronts change a certain way on 2 ocassions this has happened.

Although when it is very cold, and the wind is howeling from the NW, the signal goes up to 8 bars! Go figure!
Yes when it's cold out..... Colder the better it seems. I think it's to do with no moisture in the air... cold freezing air = dry air and less of a signal attenuation.

That’s my possible theory

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it possible the extra elevation in the areas surrounding Toronto helps? There has definately been a change since the fall, either climate related or equipment.

It sounds like those who have more elavation above lake Ontario are having better results.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Brewmaser said:
Is it possible the extra elevation in the areas surrounding Toronto helps? There has definately been a change since the fall, either climate related or equipment.

It sounds like those who have more elavation above lake Ontario are having better results.
Yes elevation has everthing to do with the reception of distant signals. At my parents at the Markham water tower north of Hwy 7 and east of Markham Rd they get 95% on Nbc and 98 with Fox with a 4221 with a Sony 42A10 no preamp or rotor.

I have found that since winter I had to move my antenna that it is pointed for 160' for Nbc to get max signal.

During the summer I usually can point it at 175 to 180 where Fox comes in at 10 and still get 8 to 10 on Nbc.

Now during the cold weather at 175 to 180 Nbc comes in at 5 to 7.

By moving and setting the antenna at 160 Nbc is at 9 to 10 and Fox is still at 10.

Rob the Nbc tower is not the lowest. I called and spoke to the head engineer for a good 30mins last summer when they had the black out. He actually loves Toronto and wished he had more power to transmit. He said he visits Toronto here on long weekends at times. He said the tower is over 1000' feet.

FCC limited the power output to all border stations that share the same frequency to 481 kwatts because silly CKVR in Barrie got approval for a repeater at the same frequency. I was joking with him and said trust me no body up there in Barrie is watching hdtv so God knows why the CRTC gave them a license. I said crank up the juice and when they go online if anybody complains then turn it down. :D

The problem he said Cbs and Abc are on a much higher elevation hill than where the Nbc transmitter is. He said he knows this as a fact as the Abc and cbs transmitter is about 7 miles from his house.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Yes guys you are both correct. I meant the physical tower that Nbc has is not the lowest but compared to the other Buffalo stations being on a taller hill this makes Nbc one of the lowest elevation above sea level.

I am not sure but from reading here, I think it might be easier for those of us in the Toronto area, North & East of Toronto to get Nbc better compared to being west of Toronto ? Maybe it's the transmitting pattern ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in Pickering and about 1 km from the lake and NBC's signal is not stable (up and down like a yoyo). I have one of the tallest towers in my area but I guess size isn't everything.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Results and Discussions

The new threads are now open to posting of Results and to discussing them. Stay on topic, and whenever possible make use of the generic threads dealing with antennas, gear, vendors, etc. so that we don't duplicate all that great info. Just direct people to the existing info threads or the READ THIS FIRST thread as often as possible.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
stampeder said:
I wish I had a spectrum analyzer, a couple of return tickets to Toronto (mrs. comes too!) and a couple of weeks to drive around and build a profile to take back to WGRZ so they can see what is happening in case they would want to address the issue.
Sorry Stampeder, can't help you with the plane tickets, but if you ever do make it to T.O., I'll give you the guided tour.;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
TOM F1 the analog shut off for USA is now April 2009.If the Youngstown station is causing the trouble you should see it when you tune to analog 33.I think multipath signals are more likely causing WGRZ-dt problems.A long Yagi type antenna is more directional than 4228.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whitby (Brock & Dryden) Results

I'm in Whitby (Brock & Dryden - a somewhat elevated plane). Couple of days ago I got a Terk TV55 to try which so far I've only tried indoors (with my Samsung STB). Without the pre-amp I got virtually no signal. With the pre-amp ON I managed to pull in the following while fiddling with the antenna angle.

4-1 wivb hd
4-3 wnlo sd
7-1 wkbw hd
43-1 wned hd
43-2 wned sd
43-3 think b
53-1 city hd

I plan to install it outside just under my suffit or on the chimney this weekend, I'll report back my findings. I think the ideal setup would be two bowties, one aimed at Rochester and one between Toronto/Buffalo, but I must say the Terk is hardly an eyesore in comparison. The other possiblility I've been tossing around is installing the bowties in the attic (Mmm insulation...). That would take care of the easthetics, but would be more of a pita to adjust. Anybody have a succesful attic installation in Durham?

41 - 60 of 2080 Posts