Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2080 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Frostman said:
I live in Newcastle and was wondering with a 4228 If I would pick up Buffalo? Sounds like I would get Rochester being you guys fron ajax and Markham are getting it? How many channels from Rochester do you guys get?
Welcome here! You should find that info in this thread, and please look through this thread as well:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27994

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Frostman said:
I live in Newcastle and was wondering with a 4228 If I would pick up Buffalo?Sounds like I would get Rochester being you guys fron ajax and Markham are getting it?How many channels from Rochester do you guys get? Thanks
I get strong signal from buffalo, so you being a little bit further, you'd get good signal, but may have problems with bad weather. If you are close to the lake, or if you're on high ground you should be fine for buffalo stations.
From Rochester, you should get FOX, PBS & CBS. And you'd get Toronto stations If you have a Rotor. I didn't like the rotor idea because i like to flip thru all the channels to see whats on. I went with 2 antennas in different directions.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stationary Antenna possible for Rochester and Buffalo from Newcastle ON?

I have a couple of Questions. If you guys could help that would be great. I'm getting a bev 9200 and want to try out the ota on it. I live in Newcastle"east Toronto". I'm 60 miles right over the lake to Buffalo and Rochester. Their both the same distance in a triangler postion. Which Antenna would work to pick both up without haveing to move it .4228? And I want to start running the cable.What type of cable should I run for the Antenna?Thanks alot

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Frostman said:
I live in Newcastle"east Toronto". I'm 60 miles right over the lake to Buffalo and Rochester. Their both the same distance in a triangler postion. Which Antenna would work to pick both up without haveing to move it .4228?
From where you are (south of Peterborough near lake?) I'm roughly guessing that the delta in azimuth between those cities from Newcastle ON is about 45 degrees unless someone wants to get out a map and actually check it. This means that you could experiment with aiming the 4228 degree by degree in a sweep between them to see if you can find a sweet spot that brings in both. Unfortunately antennas have "nulls" outside their main beam patterns so this could be tricky or even futile. I'd be interested in what others from that area have to say but I think a rotator is in order, simply because you will positively get the best aim/signals and also because you'll not only be getting all the Canadian analog stations around you but also be ready as more and more stations come up in digital in the future, including Canadian stations.
Frostman said:
And I want to start running the cable.What type of cable should I run for the Antenna?Thanks alot
Use RG-6 and only RG-6 unless you are expecting the cable distance to be over 30 metres, in which case the pros use RG-11 but its expensive. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'll agree with Stampeder that you won't get Rochester and Buffalo with a stationary antenna. But you might be able to point at Buffalo and get Toronto on the west side-lobe of the 4228. That's what i was trying for but the angles didn't work from Ajax, but look better for Newcastle.
You'll get a better choice of stations (and programming?) in Buffalo than Rochester. You don't really need both.
You could put up a 4228 and find out. If not satisfied, add another antenna or rotator. I haven't looked up prices, but my guess is you could by 2 extra antennas and a combiner cheaper than a good rotator. I added a second antenna and I’m quite satisfied. :cool:
Cable type depends on length. If you have over 50 ft run, you need RG-11 or a line amp. I used RG-11.
If you haven't read all the other instructions here on DHC, the antenna mount Must be Grounded and use a ground block on the coax line. Preferably to a ground rod.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Inconsistent signal in GTA/Pickering

Hi
I continue to have a problem with my OTA HD. I can be watching TV one day, say City-TV or NBC buffalo have 100% signal and the next day have no signal for these same channels. The only consistency I get, is channel 25 french, 29 fox buffalo and CTV Toronto. My antenna is mounted correctly and very tightly to the outside of my house, approx 15 feet in the air faceing south west. Additionally I live about 500 meters from a train track and as soon as the train comes along I loose my signal (any channel)
Any ideas. I use a Motorola HD reciever and a Wineguard 4 bay antenna.

Any Ideas?
thx

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You forgot to tell us your location, and even down to the nearest major street corner can be helpful if you're in the GTA.

The trains, being metallic monsters, must be causing some serious scatter/multipath problems, and with DTV you are getting the "cliff effect" in which signal below a certain strength simply dies while if it raises above that point it suddenly comes alive. Many people in the GTA would do just fine with a 4-bay but your specific situation might require an 8-bay. Its probably a good option to go from the Winegard 4-bay to a Channel Master 4228 8-bay for its excellent ability to overcome scatter/multipath problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My location

Thx stampeder
I live right off the rouge valley on the pickering side of the border
Altona rd and twin rivers drive
Should I try to raise the antenna or just move it to a different but similar vertical height location?
thx

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
OTA reception

Ziggman I think you need to raise up much higher.The fact that trains affect your reception suggest it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
From your location, you should also be aiming straight south from Ajax to get Buffalo -- not S.W.

Also, the 4-bay is enough for Toronto, but probably not the channels south of Buffalo (WGRZ,WABC,WKBW,WIVB).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey how's it going? I live in Pickering too Ziggman, Liverpool & Bayly, in the condo that is just south of Bayly. I'm lucky enough that there's nothing between me and the lake, and I pick up everything that's available. I'm only using the crappy plastic antenna that came with my HDTV Wonder card. There are days when I get every channel and days when I get none, there doesn't seem to be any consistency, although in the evening it's usually better.

Where you're at is fairly high elevation I think but raising the antenna can't hurt. I raised mine 5 feet in our enclosed balcony, 4th floor and it made a difference in signal strength.

Still can't get CTV to come in.

fish

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is the time of year when you get a lot of "long distance" channels without much effort. Things return to normal in the fall.

A better antenna will definitely reduce the drop-outs you get. That plastic antenna has zero gain and is bi-directional.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pickering (off Liverpool just south of bayly)

Hi guys. I'm new to this stuff as I recently installed an ATI card and used the antenna that came with it and could not even get a sniff of City tv. I live in Pickering (off Liverpool just south of bayly). My neighbor across the street had a antenna and tower that he wished he'd never had bought, and I offered to remove it for him for free...wink wink. Anyways, what a differance, i'm get as of 6:23pm City at between 88% and 91%.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
audiohead said:
...My neighbor across the street had a antenna and tower that he wished he'd never had bought, and I offered to remove it for him for free...wink wink. Anyways, what a differance, i'm get as of 6:23pm City at between 88% and 91%.
Awfully nice of your neighbour... ;) Give us a full report when you get a chance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Problems with just Buffalo NBC Reception From GTA

I am considering replacing my current antenna set-up. I continue to have problems with NBC Buffalo. In the passed 2 weeks I have experienced 3 out of 10 bars on my STB for days with drop-outs. This is when we experience a strong W-SW current. This should not be the case since I have a clear line-of-sight and very tall tower. Yaamon, you get 10 out of 10 on all Buffalo channels, when I get roughly 6-10 on most. Would it be recommended that I have installed a pre-amp with the current antenna or replace with a CM-4228? Should I have a seperate VHF antenna installed for future VHF digital, or is it to early?

BTW, I am still waiting for installer to replace rotor. It has been over a month since I called.:(

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
The rating of the 4228 and your antenna is similar Iam not sure if there would be any gain by going to a 4228.

Can you rotate your antenna, and if so does Nbc comes in stronger ? When you say strong winds is the antenna moving quite a bit up there ?

Yes my Buffalo stations are all still coming in 10 out of 10 on the Samsung 451. On the Jvc built in tuner Nbc comes in at 81-84 %, Cbs(4) 84-85%, Cbs(23) 84-85%, Fox(29) 82-84%, Abc 86-88%, Cbc and Cfto is at 87% etc.

What I did notice during the winter(colder months) is that I had to reposition my antenna more south east for Nbc to get a stronger signal about 155' to 160' on a compass. During the fall and summer it was more pointed south where Fox was 180'. Its a good 20' more east now. Cn tower is another 20' more west from 180'

What I would try is a preamp, maybe you are encountering signal loss via the cable run or through the connectors.

If you stripped the cable and did the connectors make sure that all the braded ground wires from the cable was left there before the connector went on. I have seen many people who have done theirs and stripped off all the ground wires completely down to the foil and this is No no.

On some outdoor connection if you did not use a weather boot to cover the connectors after a few years they were corrioded, I have seen this on customers that did their own installs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's good to know that the antenna is good enough as it is. ;)

Yaamon said:
Can you rotate your antenna, and if so does Nbc comes in stronger ? When you say strong winds is the antenna moving quite a bit up there ?
I should clarify Yaamon, when the weather current in general comes from the W-SW the signal seems to diminish. Like from the mid-west US. The antenna itself is rock solid since the day it was installed. I did rotate the antenna, but it does not help. If it is 3 bars it stays 3 bars, until there is total break up (meaning it has gone to far).

Yaamon said:
What I would try is a preamp, maybe you are encountering signal loss via the cable run or through the connectors.
You may be right there. The cable is NOT a continuous piece from the antenna to the STB. It stops short of the exterior wall. Now, where the cable enters, it is not exposed to the elements. It is enclosed by a garage. So it is nice and dry. But, I was the one who did the connections, and I didn't know the ground wires were that important. I will check it. Until I have an installer come to replace the drive unit I will make do with the broken run of cable. I didn't figure that one joint could amount to that much signal lose. I stopped it there because I wanted the freedom to change the direction of where the signal would go. Living room or Family room.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
If its a connection problem it would likely affect all channels equally bad, but still it is good to check.

Your symptoms make me think its something like a bent, cracked, or damaged dipole, director, or conductor in the UHF portion. Those kinds of things are rare but they can cause an antenna to lose gain over very specific frequency ranges and not others. Being a large combo antenna your 3678 will not be easy to take down, so I don't know how you'd be able to visually inspect the antenna close up. Got a James Bond jet pack? ;)

If the VHF portion is getting Buffalo NBC analog loud and clear then we can take that as a sign that there likely isn't an environmental factor like a tree or something like that in the way, but then again probably all your Buffalo stations would be weak if that was it.

If after checking all that you still have the same problem it might be time to borrow an ATSC tuner from someone and see if its an issue with that. I would put that very low on the list of suspects though.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Mark, twice I have seen because of bad ground connections the signal level was poor from all the Buffalo stations while the Toronto ones were coming in fairly strong at 7 to 8 bars.

With proper connection the Toronto locals went up to 10 on a 4221 and Buffalo stations was at 8 bars.

The braided ground wires are just as important as the solid copper center wire. Without it the connection is weak.

Just like when you have a high power car stereo amp people would use thick 8 gauge wire or better and then used cheap 16 gauge or even 12" ground and the amps would clip and starve for power.

I had a stereo shop in the 80's and used to be into some heavy car stereo running a pair of 15" subs with multiple amps in my car. :D

Also having multiple connectors in between the receiver and antenna is fine as long as the connector was installed properly.

If you were to think about it between my orginal wire that comes from the antenna goes into a ground block then into my power supply.

From the power supply into a two way splitter stays in my bedroom to drive the LD4200a and the other goes to the basement into a 3 way splitter. One 7db feed into a Samsung 451 and from there the receiver IF loop out to a Ati HD card in my study.

The other 7db to my dish 811 network receiver and used the two attenuators that came with the Jvc tv a 3 and 6db in series.

The other 3db port went straight into the Jvc atsc tuner.

So you can have multiple splits and not have it really affect the signal if the connections are proper.

21 - 40 of 2080 Posts