Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2061 - 2080 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Unless you have bad local obstructions you should have be able to pick up lots of good channels, enough that OTA-only is a good option. A general rule of thumb is that with the right antenna from Stampeder's list on a rooftop you should be able to pick up all of the green and yellow stuff and a lot of the red.

One issue that you need to be aware of is direction. Others on this forum are better at this sort of thing, but I bet that they'll suggest pointing an antenna with a wide beamwidth (a 2 bay or maybe a 4 bay) at Buffalo and picking up those powerful Toronto stations on the side of it. That should get you everything of interest except probably WBBZ.

I'm really jealous of that TV Fool, mine is very sparse.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Adi23-your location is prime for OTA.your location is at a higher elevation above the lake,which helps reception.i recommend a 4 bay antenna with a preamp with 15-20db of gain and aim it southwest towards the CN tower.you shouldn't have any problems picking up Toronto and western New York stations,weather permitting.

·
Registered
983 Posts
adi23 I looked at your TVFool report. Ignore all the grey channels. We don't get them in Toronto. Here is a list of channels you should get in Whitby. I get all these in Ajax.

2-1 WGRZ NBC Ch.2 Buffalo HD 1080i
2-2 WGRZ Weather Buffalo
2-3 WGRZ Retro TV Buffalo
4-1 WIVB CBS Ch.4 Buffalo HD 1080i
5-1 CBC Toronto HD 720p
7-1 WKBW ABC Ch.7 Buffalo HD 720p
9-1 CFTO Toronto HD 1080i
17-1 WNED PBS Buffalo HD 1080i
17-2WNED PBS Buffalo
19-1 TVO Toronto HD 1080i
23-1WNLO CW23 Buffalo HD 1080i
23-2 Bounce TV Buffalo
25-1 CBLFT Toronto (French) HD 720p
29.1 WUTV Fox29 Buffalo HD 720p
29.2WNYB TCN Buffalo HD 720p
29.3 GRIT-TV Buffalo
36-1 CTS Hamilton
40-1 OMNI 2 Toronto HD 1080i
41-1 Global TV Toronto HD 1080i
47-1 OMNI 1 Toronto HD 1080i
*49-1 WNYO MyTV Buffalo HD 720p
*51-1 ION Buffalo HD 1080i
*51-2 WPXJ qubo Buffalo HD 1080i
*51-3 ION Life Buffalo HD 1080i
*51-4
*51-5
*51-6
57-1 City-TV Toronto HD 1080i

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am up the road in Brooklin and I get everything on 46FD04's list except the 51.x's with an attic-mounted 8-bay and a 7778 amplifier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2 antenna solution in Scarborough - works great

I am located in southwest Scarborough and have a pretty clear view to the south towards the Buffalo towers but my view to the west to the CN tower is obscured by a cluster of trees. I cut the cord in April last year and have been using a hacked CM4221HD on a 10' mast attached to the peak of my two storey home aimed towards the southwest about halfway between Buffalo and downtown Toronto. After some initial problems with spotty reception on some of the CN Tower stations I installed a CM7778 preamp and this improved things considerably but I was still having intermittent problems with Ch2 Buffalo and Ch 57 in Toronto dropping off completely and some breakups on other channels.

After researching options I finally decided to add a second antenna so I could aim directly at the two main signal sources. I was able to buy a second CM4221HD from a fellow on Kijiji and this past Sunday I did my install.

The results have been great!

Even with all the snow we have received the past two days reception has been rock solid! Even Ch11 CHCH which was dropping out after I did the install on Sunday has picked up and has been stable.

Here is my channel list:

2-1 WGRZ-HD 1080i
2-2 WGRZ2-2 480i
2-3 WGRZ2-3 480i
4-1 WIVB-HD 1080i
5-1 CBLT-DT 720p
7-1 WKBW-HD 720p
7-2 LAFF 480i
7-3 ESCAPE 480i
9-1 CFTO 1080i
11-1 CHCH-DT 1080i
15-1 StarRay 480i
17-1 WNED-HD 1080i
17-2 Think 480i
19-1 TVO 1080i
23-1 WNLO-HD 1080i
23-2 Bounce 480i
25-1 CBLFTDT 720p
26-1 WNYB-SD 480i
26-2 WNYB-HD 1080i
26-3 WNYBSD2 480i
29-1 WUTV-HD 720p
29-2 TCN 480i
29-3 GritTV 480i
35-1 CHCJ-DT 1080i
36-1 CITS-HD 1080i
40-1 CJMT 1080i
41-1 CIII-HD 1080i
41-2 CIII-SD 480i
42-1 CKVP-DT 1080i
47-1 CFMT 1080i
49-1 WNYO-HD 720p
49-2 ASN 720p
49-3 CometTV 720p
49-4 GetTV 480i
57-1 CITYTV 1080i

I have one antenna on the top of my mast aimed at Buffalo and the second is mounted lower on the mast and aimed at the CN Tower. The lower one is my original fully hacked 4221HD (balun boom reversed, plastic caps removed and reflector rods trimmed to 20") whereas the upper one aimed at Buffalo has the first two mods but still has the original 24" reflector rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cost no object OTA setup

So I'm thinking of doing a setup to get OTA TV and radio signals for my home. I want to be able to get it for 4 TV's for TV channels and 3 receivers for FM radio from an outdoor antenna setup.

Budget is not really an issue, so I'm wondering what kind of a setup I should get. I'm thinking I will need a really high quality outdoor antenna + splitter and amplifier. Anything else I will need? Any recommendations on equipment?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
In all reality, having an antenna for one TV is no different than having it for multiple TV's THe only real difference is running multiple wires to your TV's and the drop amps and splitters you will use.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
My ultimate setup would not involve amplifiers, splitters and coax throughout the house. It would have separate antennas to pick up signals from various directions. Each antenna would feed directly into a HDHomeRun tuner connected to the LAN. A LAN connected DVR would record programming. Smart TVs or media players would be used to watch recordings or live TV.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Would you want a WHOLE-HOME capability in a separate DVR & Antenna approach, such as Ex-Dilbert suggested so that ANY Location can view what is recorded on another DVR/Antenna??? [Of course, without a TVFool Report, we don't even KNOW whether you NEED multiple Antennas....]

NEED TV-FOOL Results URL [Link Address at top of Browser].....and FM-FOOL Reports [click on link labeled: "FM channels (save image)"], then Copy/Paste.

How many DVR's??? A multi-Tuner OTA DVR, such as TiVo or HDHomeRun [Duo, Quad] can record more than one program at the same time for later distro to multiple viewer locations....but as far as I see, they only have ONE Antenna Coax Input. [Maybe they can be hacked for separate Antenna Inputs....or maybe old units????] HTPC's can have separate Tuners, each connected to SAME....or DIFFERENT Antennas with Distribution to multiple TV via Wi-Fi or Coax (usually via DLNA) . Whether ONE Antenna or MULTIPLE Antennas/DVR's are needed depends on how many Channels need to be recorded at a time & which direction.....

How many of your TV's support DLNA (SMART TV's may have mfr specific name) which displays Video/Photos/Music from the HTPC (a Multi-Media Server)??? And would you even WANT this sort of approach which is NOT that easy for a neophyte to operate????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my TV-FOOL report.

TV Fool

Here is my FM-FOOL report.

LAN connected tuner is an interesting idea, because every TV in my house has a dedicated HTPC attached. That would make it nice so the TV never has to switch input away from the HTPC.

Separate antennas for different directions is a very interesting idea.

I'd love to hear more of your ideas!

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
The TV Fool is for 12 feet. 30 or 40 feet would be more realistic for the planned system. That would depend on local, provincial and federal laws on antenna height. I believe the maximum allowed under currents laws is 40' but that could be wrong.

What do you plan to do with the system? According to the supplied TVFool, reception of US TV stations will be fair to marginal. The same goes for US FM. It's probably doable but I'd recommend looking at other peoples' results near your location first. I'd also recommend keeping the FM and TV systems separate since strong local FM stations can interfere with TV. It's common practice to use an FM filter on TV systems.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
It doesn't look like my FM FOOL report worked in the last post. Here it is again

http://i67.tinypic.com/1627d44.jpg
Welcome to the forum, bcodemz

I was wondering why you didn't post you question at A*V*S, but now that I see your location, it make perfect sense. The moderator might move your thread to your reception area.

I have to use two browsers at this forum, because I can no longer log in with IE11. Your FM Fool image does show in IE11, but not in Firefox.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
No issue seeing his fm fool image in firefox here...

agree 12 feet will likely be way too low for distant reception.
Plan the antenna to be up above you and your neighbor's roof line, and it will have a better path to transmitters.
If all you care for is Local market reception then your initial 12' will probably be fine.

If cost is truly no object, I would plan a tower with multiple antennas, and pay someone else to plan it, install it and maintain it.
Preferably a crankup tower with at least one rotor system, so I could easily lower and raise it myself to make changes as I felt like it to experiment with different setups.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I would suggest a Winegard HD7694P antenna for the channels at 233 degrees true/244 magnetic.

CFTO will be moving from VHF-High channel 9 to channel 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFTO-DT

TVFool is using a defective database for reports, but the strongest US channels listed are WNLO and WUTV, for which you will need a UHF antenna aimed at 180/191. The antenna for the US channels would be an Antennas Direct DB8e (with BOTH panels aimed in the SAME direction), an Antennas Direct 91XG, or a Solid Signal HDB91X. This antenna will probably need a preamp.

In your TVFool report, WIVB CBS, real channel 39, is weaker and has possible adjacent channel interference (red "a" next to callsign in report) from CJMT on 40 (but see next report for different information).

A report from rabbitears.info, using an estimated location derived from your TVFool report, shows a different story. Since that site is run by Trip in VA, who now works for the FCC, this channel list is probably more accurate:

WNLO and WIVB are both listed as being on real channel 32, because they are sharing the same transmitter for CBS and CW, with WNLO being the host and WIVB the guest.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=WIVB

I used the link to WIVB because there is ANOTHER WNLO (WNLO-CD) in Norfolk, just to make it more confusing.

This is the repack plan for Buffalo:
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=B&city=&state=&mktid=63&owner=&sort=&ph=&lss=&status=

The changes will be made during the assigned Phase number:
https://www.commlawcenter.com/2017/04/fcc-announces-auction-results-and-sets-tv-repack-deadlines.html

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
39 is no longer on the air in Buffalo. As their part of the auction bargain, they cleared out and co-located with RF 32 WNLO in April. WNLO and WIVB are owned by the same company. His Tvfool looks OK to me. The single digit and below noise margin channels will be more difficult because they are 1 and 2 edge signals and far away, will vary widely over time with the weather, etc. While the stations at the CN tower probably won't vary as much as they are line of sight and not all that far away. All assuming you use an outdoor antenna up above the roof line clear of nearby obstructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought an antenna late last year from Durham Radio but my plans just pushed back so was only going to finally get it installed now. l was originally going to get my antenna installed by a guy that works there, but since they shut down I have no name to contact him (Dont have his name)

Can anyone recommend an installer? Thanks

2061 - 2080 of 2080 Posts