Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ajax: Bowtie Reflector versus Yagi?

I'm in Ajax, just east of Toronto. My Toronto stations are at 245 magnetic, and the Buffalo ones at 165. If I point at Toronto I don't get anything from Buffalo, if I point at Buffalo I lose CFTO and the rest get spotty. So I pointed it around 185, splitting the difference.

I'd like to improve things for Buffalo. Fox and PBS are rock solid. According to TVFool, 2.1, 4.1 and 7.1 are totally fringe, but I get them OK some of the time. I know I can get them, and ION too, if I rotate the antenna more.

So I'm thinking of using two antennas. There's no overlapping channels so that's ok right? Can I use the existing bedspread for Toronto and use a totally different design for Buffalo? Or should I even bother? To arrows of reasonable size have higher gain or is it about the same?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Maury, I live in Ajax too, @ Westney & Rossland.

For the best results, use two antennas.

#1 should be an 8-bay pointed due south.

#2 should be a 4-bay pointed at the CN Tower.

Join the two using a simple 2.3GHz rated satellite/cable splitter.

Pre-Amp not required

Get the antennas at least 30 feet high.

I receive all channels reliably, including CHCH Ch.11, CTVTwo Ch.35.

The six ION channels on 51.x are very spotty.

If I really wanted them, I would probably install a 3rd antenna.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i dont understand given your location why you need 2 antennas.i live in south Oshawa and i receive WNY and Toronto stations reliably using an indoor Terk HDTVA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
bigcam406 @post #2044, maybe because you are closer to the lake & have a better unobstructed LOS to the WNY stations?

Seems like the Terk antenna works good in your location?

BTW, would you mind listing just the WNY stations it is that you get consistently with the indoor antenna, without drop-out, spotty or that disappear during certain times of day?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i live approx. 1 mile north of the lakeshore.i have the Oshawa General Motors plant across the street from me(approx 100 meters to the west).i have a 3 storey apt.building 20 ft. next door to the west.my apt. is facing north,therefore,i have my Terk aimed at an apt. building approx a quarter mile away.with all these obstructions,i still receive NBC,CBS,ABC,CW and PBS from Buffalo.FOX is a no go,even with a AD DB2e amped with a an Antennacraft preamp with 22db of gain.the only dropouts i would receive is during bad weather,fog,or storms.winter months this setup is very reliable,as i have been using this setup for a few years now.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
after reading several pages of this thread for those of us that live in the east GTA burbs, it would seem 46FD04 station & channel listing in post#2016 is about what you'd get fairly regular, with of course the +/- spotty ones attributable to tropo or weather conditions.

Then with a decent outdoor antenna set up or if you're one of the lucky ones that have a great indoor antenna, with some ideal LOS, then its 20 - 26 viewable channels is about it.

My 2 mths of limited OTA experience its pretty much stable regualr 25 channels. I bonus when WPXJ & WNYB come & go

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I received 48 channels, a few were too weak to come in but I changed my amplified 8 splitter to an amplified 2 splitter and some weak channels came in strong. I am going to add a 5' mast extension and raise the antenna. Also try an inline amplifier after the first 100' of coax from the antenna before the splitter and see what happens... I'll post my results if they improve.

·
Registered
28 Posts
can some of you guys do a rescan today if possible & report back on the results that tropo is really really good here in the east burbs?

Never before, as I posted on the tropo thread have I been able to get the Syracuse stations

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last night I received at one point 56 channels !!!

2.1 .2 .3
3.1 .2 .3 Syracuse
7.1 .2 .3
8.1 .2 Rochester
13.1 .2 .3
17.1 .2
23.1 .2
26.1 .2 .3
29.1 .2 .3
31.1 .2
41.1 .2
49.1 .2
51.1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6
54.1 .2 .3
67.1 .2 .3 .4

27.1 42.1 and 46.1 were too weak.

I normally get 11.1 out of Hamilton but it was out last night.

I still need to raise my antenna and try an inline amplifier. I have an 8 bay Digiwave 7228 aimed towards St Catherines and Rochester. No need to aim at the CN tower, the signals never go out in bad weather.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I get issues with CHCH once in a while too. It's that repeater on Grand Island WBNF broadcasting out of it's normal range that kills CHCH.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmm I too came here to post about CHCH.

I have dedicated Buffalo antenna & Toronto/Hamilton antenna that plug into separate tuners so there is no merging of the signal.

For Toronto/Hamilton I'm using an old CM4221 (not the "HD" version the one before that).

Is the old CM4221 a poor choice for CHCH? I could trying something else since all the other Toronto based signals are overwhelming strong here.

Or is it the case above where it's the Grand Island WBNF repeater that's killing it so it doesn't matter what I do?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Anyone else have trouble with CFTO yesterday? I had to use a preamp to see soccer.

I put a new cable connector on just before so it might just be me, trying to find out. :\

·
Registered
100 Posts
Asking for trouble...

So after reading everything I could on stacking and ganging, I pulled the trigger today. I bought a second antenna, extension for the J-mast, good splitter (BGI) and two lengths of 1.5m RG6. And then I started playing.

Well first off, the SuprSmart idea I had to mount the J-mast to the roof to spread the load turns out to be SuprDumb. What I did was run two lengths of L-channel iron side-by-side and then bolted the J-mast to it. But in what is obviously wrong in retrospect, I ran the channel down the roof instead of across it. And then in an even dumber move, I mounted the long axis of the J-mast mounting plate between the channels, instead of the short axis. The end result is that the curve part is facing south, and the whole thing is leaning west. If I had mounted it the other way the curve would remove the angle of the roof and the upper part of the mast would be vertical, but the way I did it means the mast is always tilted to the west at the angle of my roof, about 15 degrees. DUH!

Well whatever, let's get as close as I can - I mount them above each other making a 15 degree stair step. I get everything connected together and go to the TV to test the signals. I immediately realize I should have tested before adding the second antenna so I could do a head-to-head comparison. Ugh. Well I'm definitely getting worse reception then the run I did last week, but is that because I screwed up the antenna, or because of the weather isn't 17 degrees?

Back to the roof I go... Ok, only one antenna on the mast this time, at the same angle as the last run (or as close as I could eyeball it). All right, definitely less reception now, a few channels have disappeared both from Buffalo and Hamilton. Interesting! So I know the stacking did indeed work, and quite well. That 0.5 dB combiner loss is definitely not worth worrying about in my case.

Well OK, let's try pointing further east and see if I can get ION? Nope. Ok but this is odd, now I'm getting channel 9 very well, even though its pretty much side-on to the antenna. Hmmm, rest of the Toronto stations not so good, but that's kinda expected. But 9, hmmm.

Back to the roof I go... this time pointed at what I think is the CN tower. Now all the Toronto and Hamilton stations are a firehose - as expected. Except for one, Channel 9, which is now gone!

Interesting! So basically I can get Channel 9 if I don't point at it, but get nothing at all if I do. Explain that!

So anyway I have the information I need. I need to re-mount the J-mast so its vertical, stack two antennas pointed at the Buffalo ski hills, and put a second mast with a single antenna for Toronto. That will get me everything >50% signal strength even now in the winter. ION looks like a loss, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
You didn't mention the antennas you are using so it's hard to guess.
You also didn't mention whether or not you are using a preamp??

But, keep in mind that CFTO RF 9 is VHF Hi and all the other TO stations are UHF. VHF and UHF are significantly far apart spectrum wise.
VHF is the 2nd harmonic of the FM Broadcast Band. As such FM often causes extra challenges for receiving VHF-Hi TV stations,especially in areas with lots of FM stations nearby. So if your CFTO issue is consistent over time, my speculation would be that by aiming at the CN Tower, your also likely aiming at some strong FM Broadcast stations, raising the noise floor of the VHF Band.

At my house, south of Buffalo, I use two of these in cascade, https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/FM_band_rejection_filter.html
between my antenna and preamp input. I am ~ a 1/4 mi from an FM Broadcast transmitter. Luckily it's at least behind my antenna, so not like I have to stare at it to receive RF 9 from Toronto.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@Maury M

I live in north Ajax (Westney & Rossland). I have a Channel Master 8-bay pointed DUE SOUTH, with a Channel Master 4-bay pointed at the CN Tower, installed on the same 10 foot mast attached to my chimney.

I do not use a Pre-Amp. I use a 2-output Power Distribution Amp to feed 2 TV's.

I receive all channels reliably, inc. Ch.11 CHCH, and ION most of the time.

My antenna is about 35 feet high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whitby (Taunton/Thickson)

Hello everyone, we've recently moved to Whitby (Taunton/Thickson) and are debating if we want to keep our cable subscription or go with an OTA setup. I don't know much about what is needed but have been going through these forums learning about different setups, which antennas are recommended etc.

If we go with OTA we'll most likely go with a roof mounted setup. We want to get the most channels/ best reception possible and will spend a little extra money to get a setup that can accommodate that.

I have done the TVfool report but don't know much about what I'm seeing. I understand that more channels in the green and less in the grey is the better. After seeing the report though I'm feeling a little disappointed with all the grey showing up. Maybe my location isn't suited for OTA... Here's the report, if I can get some insight on what it is saying I'd really appreciate the help.

TVfool Report.

2041 - 2060 of 2080 Posts