Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2001 - 2020 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found my problem
I had inserted a splitter from the antenna. I lost 7 db.
Took out the splitter.
I learned I had to re-scan the TV.
Found the signal.

My neighbour had the same problem. He too had inserted a splitter and thus lost his signal.
As to the TV store, I have no idea, but all the suspects could be a factor, direction of antenna, if the TV was re-scanned, if 17-1 had been deleted from the channel list

·
Registered
160 Posts
billraim, you may want to try adding a preamp if you want to use your splitter again. A preamp provides a signal boost to overcome signal loss due to splitters or long wire runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
help with NBC (WGRZ)

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the Scarborough Bluffs area (Guildwood) and had a OTA installation done last year. They used a CM Digital Advantage 45 for the install. We got about 22 odd stations when installed last June. (I had it installed for the Soccer World Cup)
Anyway, I checked NBC (WGRZ 2.1 ) on Friday Night and it seemed to be coming through ok. A bit of pixelation but otherwise good. Today theres Nothing. Nothing on 2.2 either. Do you think if I get an amplifier like the CM 3410 this would help?
Or is it common to loose channels ??? and Get them back? I am a newb at all this. I guess maybe I might have to upgrade the Antenna otherwise?

*any* help appreciated. thanks!
Not sure if this is against forum rules, but Are we allowed to ask for references to local installers to be PM'd to us??

·
Registered
780 Posts
It's weather related most likely. Snow and sleet over lake Ontario. WGRZ is always good for me but was bad today, was 100% this am till noon and then started tanking, it's ok now but low signal strength.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I assumed it could be weather. I wasnt sure how much weather affects signals. I guess Its the CA broadcast of Superbowl for tomorrow :-\
Would a signal amplifier help much?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I previously mentioned my new steel shingled roof killed my attic mount SS-2000 so today for the Superbowl I tried just sticking it in a south facing 2nd floor window. It worked fine despite the weather and the game being on NBC. Didn't care much about the game, did it to watch the commercials and was pretty much underwhelmed :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
After a couple of months using a small (5"x7" plastic) Philips amplifed 25db indoor antenna ($20+tax from Factory Direct) taped to the west facing window on the second floor bedroom, I was able to pull in 17 channels.

Further research, I decided to buy a Winegard FL5500A paper thin amplified indoor antenna from Amazon - total cost landed $75.68. I have been using this for the past 4-days with the following results.

After several try & error positioning, I have it taped to the back of a lampshade on the side table in the 2nd floor bedroom, pointed SW. Its works better in this location than on a window facing either west or south. For daytime reception it allows me to rotate the lampshade a few degrees west for ch 11 Hamilton which is in a more westerly direction.

The results are much better. although day to night reception of the number of channels is different

Day reception: I am getting 30 good channels, no pixellations. There are two other spotty channels that break up & which I am ignoring as not useful

Night reception: When the sun goes down, at around 9pm onwards, I am getting 39 channels, which is great night TV watching.

I can post the list of channels if anyone is interested?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Congrats on your results :)

The Terk HDTVA is generally considered the heavyweight champ of the indoor antenna's, I bought one for my sister & it blew away her prior one.

Southwest is an optimal direction for our area since it gets both Toronto & Buffalo - and Hamilton in your case which is actually iffy.

If there are no trees (that will leaf in) in your line of sight your reception will improve in the summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
post#2010 thanks for the info on the Terk & on the signal reception info

As for the Hamilton station, I just checked & its good clear reception - no shimmering or pixellation. I will lose it or its starts shimmering at around 8pm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not getting WGRZ Buffalo 2-1 - 2-3 as of Saturday from out of Ajax.. They having issues or maintenance going on? Everything else seems to be decent so don't suspect my antenna has moved. Its aimed straight at Buffalo mainly for antenna tv..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not getting WGRZ Buffalo 2-1 - 2-3 as of Saturday from out of Ajax.. They having issues or maintenance going on? Everything else seems to be decent so don't suspect my antenna has moved. Its aimed straight at Buffalo mainly for antenna tv..
I was watching WGRZ this morning with my outdoor setup with no issues. Got 55-60% on my Sony Bravia.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, Saturday morning was fine for me.. I switched it off around noon and went out.. Never checked again until Saturday night when I got back home and none of the 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 were working.. Usually a solid channel with my db8e, both aimed at buffalo

·
Registered
21 Posts
back in business, took a peek and one of the cables on my db8e was off so only half the antenna was hooked up.. Rock solid channels again out of Buffalo.. My CNTower channels were fine on half the antenna, but sometimes global and city tv have issues. I will wait till the weather gets better and separate my db8e and put them on top of each other aiming at Buffalo instead of side by side.. Couldn't do it before due to the brackets and cable length.. but I definitely think it will be better as I have read on these forums.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Chipom, I live in Ajax too.
If you want rock solid reception, use two separate antennas.
Leave the DB8e alone. Point the entire antenna (both halves) at Buffalo.
Pickup a DB4e or a Channel Master 4221HD, install and point it at the CN Tower.
Connect both antennas together using an IDEAL TV Splitter (available at Home Depot) in reverse.
With this setup, you should get the following channels all the time without issues;

2-1 WGRZ NBC Ch.2 Buffalo HD 1080i
2-2 WGRZ Antenna TV Buffalo 480i
2-3 WGRZ Justice Network Buffalo 480i
4-1 WIVB CBS Ch.4 Buffalo HD 1080i
5-1 CBC Toronto HD 720p
7-1 WKBW ABC Ch.7 Buffalo HD 720p
9-1 CFTO Toronto HD 1080i
11-1 CHCH Hamilton*** HD 1080i
17-1 WNED PBS Buffalo HD 1080i
17-2 THINK TV Buffalo 480i
19-1 TVO Toronto HD 1080i
23-1WNLO CW23 Buffalo HD 1080i
23-2 BounceTV Buffalo
25-1 CBLFT Toronto (French) HD 720p
29-1 WUTV Fox29 Buffalo HD 720p
29-2 WNYB TCN Buffalo
29-3 GRIT-TV Buffalo
35-1 CHCJ CTV-Two*** HD 1080i
36-1 YES-TV Hamilton HD 1080i
40-1 OMNI 2 Toronto HD 1080i
41-1 Global TV Toronto HD 1080i
47-1 OMNI 1 Toronto HD 1080i
49-1 WNYO MyTV Buffalo HD 720p
49-2 Get-TV Buffalo 480i
51-1 ION Buffalo HD 720p
51-2 WPXJ qubo Buffalo***
51-3 ION Life Buffalo***
51-4 ShopTV Buffalo***
51-5 QVC***
51-6 HSN***

57-1 City-TV Toronto HD 1080i

*** These channels are intermittent. Some days they come in excellent, some days they do not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
46FD04 @ post 2016

where approx are you located in Ajax, also, appreciate if you could please post your TV fool report together with your channellisting & where you have your antenna installed - is it a DB4 or something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
here in Pickering with my indoor antenna sitting 5 ft from an outside wall on the second floor, pointed SSE, that each time after a scan, I am showing channel 43-1 (RF43.1) no channel call sign. It has me puzzled what the heck do I have here?

Its just a blank dark black screen (not blue with the usual 'no signal' indicator) as though something is there, but there is no video or sound, not even pixellations?

Anyone have any idea of what this is or what I'm suppose to be getting or how to get whatever it is not showing?

Further, I have walls of trees to the East of my property that does not let me pick up any Rochester stations. I have zero issues daily picking up the US stations ... 2-1//, 4, 7, 17-1//, 23-1//, 29-1//, 49-1// & ch 11 Hamilton with a turn of the antenna west.

CH 51.-1/// comes & goes, as is the really difficult 26-1 from Jamestown. CH 56-1// which I was getting 2 weeks ago, I can no longer get it & dont know if weather changes will bring it back in.

my TV fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0f0aa81124f

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
RF 43 is an audio sub carrier of ch17, WNED. To hear the signal you will/may have to select the proper SAP channel. If memory is correct, I think there are 2 FM stations that are carried on that sub channel

2001 - 2020 of 2080 Posts