Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1981 - 2000 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah! Brilliant. I was reading it incorrectly. NBC is still 84 miles away. Should the DB8e be strong enough on its own to pull it? Can anything else be done to be increase my likelihood of reaching it?

Thanks for clarifying smallmj.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If you get 2.2, you should get 2.1, since your TV decoded both at the same time.
I would rescan your TV, since the 2.1 entry might be referring to a different channel. It might have scanned in channel 29 (real channel 2) from Utica,NT during a tropospheric ducting event.

·
Registered
983 Posts
wasteyourdays,

How high up is your antenna installed?

I'm also in Durham Region (Ajax), my antenna is about 30 feet high on my chimney and I get 2.1 very strong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
wasteyourdays....are you using an amplifier?

I'm in Brooklin with an 8-bay Channel Master in the attic with a 7778 amplifier and WGRZ comes in strong. The amp makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Brooklin too. Columbus / Ashburn area. I'm a newbie and going to cut the cord.

I have a Digiwave 7228 antenna mounted on my roof on a 42" J-mast with a CM- 7777 pre-amp 100' of cable to my CM-348 8 port amplified spliter then builders cable to 5 TV's throughout the house. I get 36 DTV and 1 analog.

I have it facing towards St. Catherines / Hamilton on one side and Buffalo with the other. The signals from CN tower are so strong there is no need to aim toward them even on a bad day.

2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 17.1, 17.2, 19.1, 23.1, 23.2, 25.1, 29.1, 29.2, 29.3, 35.1, 36.1, 40.1, 41.1, 41.2, 47.1, 49.1, 49.2, 51.1, 51.2, 51.3, 51.4, 51.5, 51.6, 57.1 All very good.
26.1, 26.2, 26.3, 26.4 most of the time.
42.1 on a good day.

I want to increase the height by adding a mast extension to see if I can get 67.1 but its a weak station. I hear it's all about the height. Will keep you posted

I use XBMC to get Sportsnet and TSN live feeds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
LOL @stampeder.. yep.. my first foray in to the world of OTA... so many choices of antennas!!! Want to stick with a dual bay if I can, don't want a rotor. Also, it feeds 4 TV's so I know there is loss

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
If you use the search term "Whitby" in the Search This Thread tool you'll see a great deal of other reports and comments. It may be that a ganged pair of antennas may be necessary. Also check out posts by Tom.F.1 as he has quite a good system in your area.

·
Registered
959 Posts
All good things must come to an end. Looking back through this thread I discovered I mounted my Winegard SS-2000 Squareshooter in my attic in January 2006. It has worked beyond expectations until I lost all the U.S. channels this past week. I wonder if it has to do with having the steel roof currently being installed? :eek: I am surprised that I am still getting a decent signal from the C.N. tower but I guess it's time to crawl into the attic and pull it down in hopes of perhaps doing a temporary outdoor install for Superbowl Sunday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious, has anyone in the GTA outdoor thread noticed a loss of PBS 17.1 and 17.2 Buffalo this afternoon? (Sunday Nov 30th, roughly 12noon to 4pm so far).

I'm aiming straight at it, and generally have very good success. I am curious if perhaps they've taken the transmitter offline, or the super low clouds we have today are instead impacting it.

WNLO 23.1, CBS 4.1, ABC 7.1 are coming in fine.

I figure you folks in the downtown GTA region would be a helpful data point.
I'm missing WNED 17-1, 17-2. I live in Scarborough- Eglinton Midland. My neighbour said he's lost it since the Fall. I was in a TV store at Victoria Park and Steels who use an antenna on the roof. They get no signal either.
I checked with WNED, they said there has been no change in broadcasting.

I get "no signal" on 17-1, 17-2. I checked WNED's web site. It says they broadcast on channel 43 UHF. Can some explain how this works? I tried 43-1, 43-2 also no signal.
Can we get a poll of who can get 17-1 now?
Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find WNED is pretty finnicky, in terms of where I place/point my antenna. But, I have a Terk HDTVa, so it's going to be fussy about that; I've found a sweet spot, though, and things seem to be working relatively fine. (I live in East York, near Bayview/Eglinton.) Each Buffalo channel seems to have a different sweet spot; it's taken me a little while to find 'em all, but I think I got 'em (except for NBC, I find that one a little tricky).

WNED broadcasts on the frequency associated with channel 43, but it tells your TV to show "17" to you; once upon a time they used to broadcast on 17, and people got used to that, so the virtual channel you see is 17.

1981 - 2000 of 2080 Posts